Re: [dragwars] More books

  • Peter Lee
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 16:06, Nim wrote:
      > Try here as well. Having the copies as books, I have not tried to
      > download these yet. If anyone else is brave enough to do so, and it
      > is found to be safe, let me know.
      >
      > Nim.
      >
      > http://www.the-underdogs.org/showbook.php?id=31

      dragonw1.zip at least appears to be a zipped archive of a PDF scanned
      copy of, well, Book 1... I didn't see anything nasty try to mess with my
      Mandrake VM... probably your Windoze machines will be OK...
    • Nim
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
        The complete set for sale!

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        ViewItem&item=3179128783&category=2544

        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Troy Baker" <troy@g...> wrote:
        > Would you chuck them on eBay, or would you rather offer them here?
        > I'm only really after Book 5 myself, but if it's going as a set I
        > could be interested.
        >
        > :)
        >
        > -Troy
        >

        > > I'm in Oz and I've got a much loved set of books (much loved =
        > pencil
        > > marks, tatty covers).
        > > I was really looking at selling them, although I don't think
        that
        > I'll ever
        > > play again.
      • Nim

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
            Hey wow!
            When I last looked at Home of the Underdogs two or three weeks ago, these
            weren't there yet. Only thing to point out might be HotU's policy against
            double downloads (which might not apply to these, but I wouldn't take any
            risks there): never download more than one item at a time, or be excluded
            from using it for a few days or weeks.

            Once I've taken a good look at their stuff, I'll let you know.

            Robert

            On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:06:34 -0000, Nim
            <arsenalrgreat@...> wrote:

            > Try here as well. Having the copies as books, I have not tried to
            > download these yet. If anyone else is brave enough to do so, and it
            > is found to be safe, let me know.
            >
            > Nim.
            >
            > http://www.the-underdogs.org/showbook.php?id=31

          • Loh Chun Hong
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004

              Thanks a lot man!

              Been searching for the e-copy of these books for a LONG LONG TIME!

              Chris

            • Robert Maier
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                Concerning the downloadable files of DW books 1-6 at H.o.t.U.:

                - The files are PDFs of the book's text; i.e. no reproduction of the
                covers there.
                - In principle, all the contents of all the books are present.
                - The files being PDFs means that they have been scanned, OCRed,
                spellchecked, and PDFed. Unfortunately, this means that there *will* be
                the occasional weird typo - e.g. "The Power of Darkness" all of a sudden
                mentions "a Jong staircase" where I'm pretty sure my book has "a long
                staircase"... Things like that. Not too common, though.
                - Additionally, it was attempted to imitate/re-create the layout of the
                original books as far as possible. The sense of page-per-page identity
                that is created in this way is a bit treacherous, as you realize when
                coming unexpectedly across one of these typos.
                - While illustration scans look more or less alright (to my untrained eye
                - the artists will probably think different), the chosen resolution is
                only *just* sufficient for details and small writing in maps. That's a
                annoying. (But of course we know about the Hubertian maps, cf this group's
                list of Links.)
                - In particular the right border of every page is *extremely* close to the
                text margin. E.g. in the last pages of "Lands of Legend", the last digit
                of the page number is actually even sliced off!

                Conclusion:

                Personally, I find the attempt to imitate the books' original layout
                rather unnecessary and even annoying.
                Apart from that, if it's the *information* from books 1-5 that you want...
                (I don't include book 6 here because for that one, I would give preference
                to the versions of book 6 that we have in this groups' Files.)... yes. A
                viable solution, if you're in really dire need. But as far as I'm
                concerned... I still prefer books. :)

                The Blood Sword books have been on H.o.t.U. for some time already, so
                there'd be more "canonic" source material on Krarth, Yggdras, and the
                coastal lands north of the Gulf of Marazid... plus, watch Dave develop
                solo game book mechanics as, all of a sudden, you start to receive Code
                Words (which was used to a much greater extent in the Fabled Lands series).

                Actually, I'll have a bit more to say about the Blood Sword books, but
                I'll need a fresh breather to do that... Monday, maybe.

                Cheers all, and may your ABPs never fail... :)

                R.

                --
                http://www.geocities.com/brocc.geo
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                  --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Robert Maier <rob.m.maier@w...>
                  wrote:
                  > A viable solution, if you're in really dire need. But as far as I'm
                  > concerned... I still prefer books. :)

                  I'm in dire need and the recent availability of DW on HOTU is a
                  godsend. Faaaaaantastic! As someone who is attempting to get the
                  Fabled Lands books up on the net, I also recognise the amount of
                  effort involved by HOTU in making DW cyber-available for the masses.

                  > The Blood Sword books have been on H.o.t.U. for some time already,
                  > so there'd be more "canonic" source material on Krarth, Yggdras,
                  > and the coastal lands north of the Gulf of Marazid...

                  You can also get the Golden Dragon gamebooks from HOTU as well -
                  brief recap:

                  GD1 Crypt of the Vampire - nice dungeon crawl to accompany the DW
                  adventures - could be set anywhere in Albion really. Art by Leo
                  Hartas.

                  GD2 Temple of Flame - Exploring a Kaikhuruan(?) pyramid in the depths
                  of Mungoda. Art by Leo Hartas.

                  GD3 Lord of Shadow Keep - Not a Legend book but with adaptation could
                  be set in, say, Kurland. Art by Leo Hartas.

                  GD4 The Eye of the Dragon - Set in what looks like a ruined Selentine
                  city on the shores of the Coradian Sea. Great artwork by Russ
                  Nicholson, especially the Blood Fiend, and features my favourite
                  monsters - the Gloomviles: "Your decision seems to provoke a certain
                  sad joy in the horrible trio. They eagerly bring out dice and
                  tattered rulebooks as you crouch outside the chalked lines of the
                  pentacle." Sound like a bunch of RPG gamers!

                  GD5 Curse of the Pharoah - Again, not technically Legend, but could
                  make for an interesting conversion for an adventure set in the former
                  lands of Kaikhuru (?)

                  GD6 Castle of Lost Souls - Not Legend either but could fit easily
                  into an Albion campaign. Art by Leo Hartas a bonus.

                  > plus, watch Dave develop solo game book mechanics as, all of a
                  > sudden, you start to receive Code Words (which was used to a much
                  > greater extent in the Fabled Lands series).

                  Jamie Thomson and Mark Smith also used loads of codewords in the
                  Duelmaster series to good effect. Challenge of the Magi and Arena of
                  Death are very proto-Fabled Lands in their complete non-linear
                  approach to interactive fiction.

                  > Actually, I'll have a bit more to say about the Blood Sword books,
                  > but I'll need a fresh breather to do that... Monday, maybe.

                  Looking forward to it. Nice email. :)

                  cheers

                  GA13
                • Damien Wise
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, greyarea13 wrote:

                    <snip>
                    > You can also get the Golden Dragon gamebooks from HOTU as well -
                    > brief recap:
                    >
                    > GD1 Crypt of the Vampire - nice dungeon crawl to accompany the DW
                    > adventures - could be set anywhere in Albion really. Art by Leo
                    > Hartas.
                    >
                    > GD2 Temple of Flame - Exploring a Kaikhuruan(?) pyramid in the depths
                    > of Mungoda. Art by Leo Hartas.

                    I ran this one with great success.
                    Okay, there's one slight problem -- the scanned copy has a page missing!
                    I don't know if it's been fixed, but it took a bit of hunting to
                    figure-out there the two missing "section" numbers joined up.
                    Anyway, it's a fun/atmospheric adventure. I added a bit to it by spending
                    more time exploring the Mungoda and the village-folk at the start. Plus I
                    put a few extra touches into the twisty passages inside the pyramid. The
                    baddie NPC is huge amounts of fun to GM, taunting characters and hamming
                    it up. :)
                    Predictably, the party killed him in the end...but it didn't end there.
                    One of the players wanted to leave and said he didn't mind if his
                    character got trashed. This fitted nicely with me liking the option of
                    using Damontir as a reccuring NPC. Seamus had just long enough to muse:
                    "Why didn't he use his Sheilding Charm in that fight?" before putting on
                    Damontir's Amulet of Soul Storing. :->

                    > GD3 Lord of Shadow Keep - Not a Legend book but with adaptation could
                    > be set in, say, Kurland. Art by Leo Hartas.
                    >
                    > GD4 The Eye of the Dragon - Set in what looks like a ruined Selentine
                    > city on the shores of the Coradian Sea. Great artwork by Russ
                    > Nicholson, especially the Blood Fiend, and features my favourite
                    > monsters - the Gloomviles: "Your decision seems to provoke a certain
                    > sad joy in the horrible trio. They eagerly bring out dice and
                    > tattered rulebooks as you crouch outside the chalked lines of the
                    > pentacle." Sound like a bunch of RPG gamers!
                    >
                    > GD5 Curse of the Pharoah - Again, not technically Legend, but could
                    > make for an interesting conversion for an adventure set in the former
                    > lands of Kaikhuru (?)
                    >
                    > GD6 Castle of Lost Souls - Not Legend either but could fit easily
                    > into an Albion campaign. Art by Leo Hartas a bonus.
                    >
                    > > plus, watch Dave develop solo game book mechanics as, all of a
                    > > sudden, you start to receive Code Words (which was used to a much
                    > > greater extent in the Fabled Lands series).
                    >
                    > Jamie Thomson and Mark Smith also used loads of codewords in the
                    > Duelmaster series to good effect. Challenge of the Magi and Arena of
                    > Death are very proto-Fabled Lands in their complete non-linear
                    > approach to interactive fiction.
                    >
                    > > Actually, I'll have a bit more to say about the Blood Sword books,
                    > > but I'll need a fresh breather to do that... Monday, maybe.
                    >
                    > Looking forward to it. Nice email. :)

                    Likewise. Thanks for the summary. :)

                    Our group shares-around the GMing and a different GM ran the Bloodsword
                    books (four gathered from second-hand book shops and the last one
                    downloaded) as Dragon Warriors adventures, Excellent stuff, very
                    atmospheric.

                    Damien Wise
                    +----------------------+---------------------------------------------+
                    | wiz#zikzak.net | God damn cheap monkeys. |
                    +----------------------+---------------------------------------------+
                  • Nim
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 11, 2006
                      For those that are interested

                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAGON-WARRIORS-COMPLETE-6-BOOKS-DAVE-MORRIS-
                      RARE_W0QQitemZ270026817750QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64203QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ
                      1QQcmdZViewItem

                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dragon-Warriors-RPG-Books-1-
                      6_W0QQitemZ110030110714QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64203QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ
                      cmdZViewItem

                      You might need to copy and paste. I take it that all have downloaded
                      the books from the underdogs site.
                    • Nim
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 18, 2006
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-POWER-OF-DARKNESS-Dragon-Warriors-book-5-
                        johnson_W0QQitemZ200028053903QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64203QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ
                        rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                        How much for your collection?