Experience points system?

  • kharille
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2003
      Ai' think for a game intended for a younger generation of kids
      already overloaded with the rules in DW meant that Dave had to
      simplify everything. Just a thought. 30 experience points to get to
      2nd rank purely on a 'kill' basis. That somehow doesn't feel right.
      Too much on powerplay.

      Seriously, the Elementalist loses out on this powerplay. Ai' for one
      would encourage players to gain more experience. Travel, visiting
      new locations, hell, even a ... middle age museum would be something
      to learn from. Of course, then maybe a skill system would be in
      order. I've glanced through cthulu, nice stuff, a focus on
      individual skills.

      My concern would be that it would be a fan made work of art. My
      opinion is that real work is never appreciated. The lands of legend,
      all the work by Dave an' Oliver never really was appreciated.

      Actually, how are they? Years back ai' heard they wus' slavin' away
      for the croc. Dave was anyways. What a pity, the man's work was
      brilliant. Not so much pure crappy retarded kid's fantasy but real
      research into norse/greek mythology. Hell, ai' see stuff from
      arabian knights an' other sources from the world ai' know. Amazin'
      work.

      Forget, back to experience system.... Yeah, if someone visits
      Crescentium or Hakbad or.... Ferromaine for the first time ai'm sure
      they should gain experience points, even if only in the single digit
      figures of a 10,000 point rank gain system. Also a trip to the local
      brothels should contribute to one's knowledge and skills.....
    • Patrice LaFlamme
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2003
        Back when I played DW very seriously (I"m into FUDGE
        now :) ), I had a system for experience, a bit
        inspired by the one found on Cynewulf's page (if it
        still exists...).

        There would be experience for roleplaying, combat,
        usage of character-specific abilities (so your
        elementalist would draw most of his experience here
        while a warrior would draw it from combat), encourage
        player cooperation/helping move forward in the game,
        etc.

        Worked out pretty well.

        =====
        http://www.patrix.org