Fabled Lands

  • greyarea13
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 3, 2002
      I don't think I'd mentioned it on this list, so here goes:

      I've created a small group dealing with Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson's
      Fabled Lands gamebooks here, if anyone is interested:

      At this stage it comprises a photo section of scans of color and B&W
      maps and pix (many by Russ Nicholson) from the only six Fabled Lands
      books published, plus a bunch of tables in the files section that are an
      initial attempt to deconstruct the gamebooks. There's also a few polls
      open on what should be attempted next, when I get some free time.
      I know it ain't DW or Legend, but by all means drop by...

      cheers

      GA13
    • ricardusofborg
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 4, 2002
        Hi all!

        Does anyone know if theres any PBP/ PBEM / Forum based Dragon
        Warriors games around?
        I've got a hankering to holster my Glock's and turn off the
        cyberdeck in favour of swinging a sword at something.

        O'Borg
      • Karl K H Chan
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 4, 2002
          Hah! Since ai' lost my job recently, ai' got time, maybe we can do an
          online email rpg game? Don't ask me to GM it though...

          Karl K H Chan
          (852) 9721 7537 (Ascending tone)
          (852) 2656 3851
          kharille@...

        • ricardusofborg <ricardusofborg@yahoo.co.
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2002
            Looks like things are a little too quiet in here for us to run our
            own game :-(

            O'Borg

            --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Karl K H Chan" <kharille@h...>
            wrote:
            > Hah! Since ai' lost my job recently, ai' got time, maybe we can do
            an
            > online email rpg game? Don't ask me to GM it though...
          • spiral
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 8, 2002
              I'm happy to join in a pbem, if you get enough people.

              B.

              >Looks like things are a little too quiet in here for us to run our
              >own game :-(
              >
              >O'Borg
              >

              >--- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Karl K H Chan" <kharille@h...>
              >wrote:
              >> Hah! Since ai' lost my job recently, ai' got time, maybe we can do
              >an
              >> online email rpg game? Don't ask me to GM it though...
              >

              >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Karl K H Chan
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 8, 2002
                Maybe if we establish a frequency for posts, that way people can decide
                whether they want to get involved. Never played a pbem before actually...
                Not bothered myself now that ai' lost my job again...

              • captainstarkiller <arsenalrgreat@wewonth
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 9, 2002
                  I would be up for a game as well. Who is to GM?

                  -- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "ricardusofborg"
                  <ricardusofborg@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi all!
                  >
                  > Does anyone know if theres any PBP/ PBEM / Forum based Dragon
                  > Warriors games around?
                  > I've got a hankering to holster my Glock's and turn off the
                  > cyberdeck in favour of swinging a sword at something.
                  >

                  > O'Borg
                • Karl K H Chan
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2002
                    Yeah, that's critical.... Who's got the time to run this thing? DW world
                    right? Well, it would be ideal if one of you guys who've playtested it wiv'
                    Dave run it, but do you guys have the time? Ai'm tempted to have it runnin'
                    on the DW list, we've handled occasions where we make 15 posts in a day
                    right? So long as everyone don't mind, we can throw in snide comments an'
                    laugh an' all.... Hell, just for fun, nobody take it personal......

                    Sooo, who's up for GMin'?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 12, 2002
                      Theres four of us interested, and I might be able to drag in a couple
                      of newbies to DW, but I must confess I wasnt thinking of GMing it
                      myself.
                      For a start I'd have to write a complete adventure, as I'm sure you
                      all know the ones in the books inside out, and the only stuff I have
                      was written when I was about 13 and quite frankly isnt up to standard.
                      Anyone else want to have a go first? :-)

                      wrote:

                      > Yeah, that's critical.... Who's got the time to run this thing?
                      DW world
                      > right? Well, it would be ideal if one of you guys who've
                      playtested it wiv'
                      > Dave run it, but do you guys have the time? Ai'm tempted to have
                      it runnin'
                      > on the DW list, we've handled occasions where we make 15 posts in a
                      day
                      > right? So long as everyone don't mind, we can throw in snide
                      comments an'
                      > laugh an' all.... Hell, just for fun, nobody take it personal......
                      >
                      > Sooo, who's up for GMin'?
                      >

                      > Karl K H Chan
                      > (852) 9721 7537 (Ascending tone)
                      > (852) 2656 3851
                      > kharille@h...
                      >

                      > >From: "captainstarkiller <arsenalrgreat@w...>"
                      > ><arsenalrgreat@w...>
                      > >To: dragwars@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [dragwars] Re: Dragon Warriors PBP games?
                      > >Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:56:15 -0000
                      > >
                      > >I would be up for a game as well. Who is to GM?
                      > >

                      > >-- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "ricardusofborg"
                      > ><ricardusofborg@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Hi all!
                      > > >
                      > > > Does anyone know if theres any PBP/ PBEM / Forum based Dragon
                      > > > Warriors games around?
                      > > > I've got a hankering to holster my Glock's and turn off the
                      > > > cyberdeck in favour of swinging a sword at something.
                      > > >

                      > > > O'Borg

                    • Karl K H Chan
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 12, 2002
                        Well, hell, you'd hate my style of GMing, cause' ai'd kill players off real
                        quick an' quite harsh. Wonder of Shaun would mind if we play through this
                        email list, ai' mean, if people don't like it they can complain. But then
                        they can throw in the odd insult of criticism which would be fun.

                        Guess, all ai' got is a few adventures written when ai' wus' 15, an' for the
                        palladium rpg (rev) edition, not appropriate an' a real pain to convert to
                        DW. Also not in the DW world anyway.

                        Hey, ai' love the system, but even back then, hell, 10 years ago ai'd only
                        let people look at my DW collection as a special privilege.

                      • Shaun Hately
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 12, 2002
                          On 13 Dec 2002 at 2:53, Karl K H Chan wrote:

                          > Well, hell, you'd hate my style of GMing, cause' ai'd kill players off real
                          > quick an' quite harsh. Wonder of Shaun would mind if we play through this
                          > email list, ai' mean, if people don't like it they can complain. But then
                          > they can throw in the odd insult of criticism which would be fun.

                          *I* wouldn't mind - I find the idea fascinating, and it's not like the list is high traffic -
                          but others might object and if they would, it'd be a good idea if they'd speak up. If it
                          isn't on this list - I would still suggest a list because it tends to be a useful way of
                          keeping things straight.

                          I might even be willing to run a game - but I can't think of that until after the
                          weekend - too many commitments due over the next few days to make a judgement
                          on time until Monday.

                          Yours Without Wax, Dreadnought
                          Shaun Hately |webpage: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
                          (ISTJ) |email: drednort@... | ICQ: 6898200
                          "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in
                          common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter
                          the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen
                          to be one of the facts that need altering." The Doctor - Doctor Who:
                          The Face of Evil | Where am I: Frankston, Victoria, Australia
                        • Karl K H Chan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 12, 2002
                            That would be great if you can Shaun, though maybe we should specify minimum
                            and maximum rates of posts so that people workin' don't get pressured an'
                            maximum posts to keep the game at a steady pace/so we don't flood the list.

                            Can we stick wiv' the original rules? Must be great to have new character
                            classes but ai'm not familiar wiv' some of your works. Not unless you got
                            it on a convenient word file.

                            If anybody else would like to join, just hope they'd reply soon.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 12, 2002
                              >If anybody else would like to join, just hope they'd reply soon.

                              I'd like to be in it, as a player only though.

                              I'd advise that we keep if in a separate group at Yahoo, as I would very
                              quickly unsubscribe if my mailbox started getting filled with many posts
                              about something I wasn't involved in.

                              Skarn.

                              "I believe that my life has value, and I don't want to waste it thinking
                              about clothing...Truly, can you imagine anything more boring that fashion
                              ? Professional sports perhaps. Grown men swatting little balls, while
                              the rest of the world pays money to applaud. But, on the whole, I find
                              fashion even more tedious than sports." - Micheal Crichton, Jurassic Park.
                            • ricardusofborg <ricardusofborg@yahoo.co.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                I agree, a seperate group would be better than running it through
                                this one.
                                Better still would be to run it via a messageboard, but finding a
                                freebie one that doesnt have hundreds of annoying pop-ups could be a
                                problem.
                                There are some inactive forums in the PBP section at www.WebRPG.com
                                we could hijack without incident. (The webmaster is only concerned
                                with trying to make money and all the volunteer helpers have quit)
                                Or a mate of mine has his own webboard, although it is unfortunately
                                hosted by the same company that does a lot of Porn, meaning 9 out of
                                10 works proxy/firewalls block it out.
                                Or theres Bravenet and suffer the pop-ups.

                                O'Borg

                                --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Shane Russell <sc.russell@q...>
                                wrote:

                                > >If anybody else would like to join, just hope they'd reply soon.
                                >
                                > I'd like to be in it, as a player only though.
                                >
                                > I'd advise that we keep if in a separate group at Yahoo, as I would
                                very
                                > quickly unsubscribe if my mailbox started getting filled with many
                                posts
                                > about something I wasn't involved in.
                                >

                                > Skarn.

                              • Roger Burton West
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                  On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:17:30PM -0000, ricardusofborg <ricardusofborg@...> wrote:
                                  >I agree, a seperate group would be better than running it through
                                  >this one.

                                  I'd be entirely happy to provide a free mailing list, as I do to many
                                  other people and organisations. I'd also be potentially interested in
                                  playing in the game.

                                  >Better still would be to run it via a messageboard, but finding a
                                  >freebie one that doesnt have hundreds of annoying pop-ups could be a
                                  >problem.

                                  But if the game is run on a message board, I shall absolutely not be
                                  interested.

                                  Roger

                                  --
                                  <<< Everything below this line is YahooGroups advertising >>>
                                • ricardusofborg <ricardusofborg@yahoo.co.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                    --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Roger Burton West <roger@f...> wrote:

                                    > >Better still would be to run it via a messageboard, but finding a
                                    > >freebie one that doesnt have hundreds of annoying pop-ups could be
                                    > >problem.
                                    >
                                    > But if the game is run on a message board, I shall absolutely not be
                                    > interested.
                                    >
                                    > Roger

                                    'Twas just an idea. Messageboards make it easier to keep track of
                                    things and save the GM having to tell everyone what everyone else is
                                    doing, although I do prefer the PBEM style overall.

                                    O'Borg
                                  • Shaun Hately
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002

                                      I have set up the above yahoogroup for the purpose of running a Dragon Warriors
                                      PBEM campaign, which I have decided I will run. Anyone interested in playing or
                                      observing should join this group, which you can do by going to that url or by sending
                                      an e-mail to dwpbem-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                      Sometime in the next day or so, I will start a discussion to work out the parameters
                                      of the game (ie, where it will be set, basic elements of plot etc.) For the moment, a
                                      few ground rules - these will be open to discussion, but they represent my intent
                                      currently.

                                      (1) The game will use standard Dragon Warriors rules as outlined in the six rule
                                      books - no variant classes etc.
                                      (2) These rules will form a guide - not a rigid unbending framework.
                                      (3) The game will be set somewhere within The Lands of Legend - precise locations
                                      to be determined by discussion.
                                      (4) Other materials - such as Bloodsword and The Chronicles of the Magi may be
                                      used by the GM as reference materials for the Lands of Legend.

                                      I would *strongly* suggest players subscribe to the yahoogroup via the webpage in a
                                      way that allows them to make use of the archives, but I will not require this as I am
                                      aware some people have various objections to obtaining yahoo profiles and the like.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                        OK, registered myself to the list. Glad you've elected to run it, as I'm
                                        currently unemployed/able, so I'm trying to get work which precludes me
                                        from sitting down to write a campaign. That said, glad to play. I only
                                        have books 1-5, so I'm stiffed on book 6, LoL - content, but if all else
                                        fails, someone can let me know the pertinnent rules without breaking
                                        tm's and copyright and intellectual rights, right?

                                        So what's the score with the general tone of the campaign? High fantasy,
                                        low fantasy, or something else. Are we exploring themes or is it a
                                        general dungeon bash type affair? Personally I prefer to develop
                                        character, but that's not everyone's bag so I'll go with what the
                                        majority request.

                                        B.

                                      • greyarea13 <greyarea13@hotmail.com>
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                          --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "spiral" <barry.cowden@n...> wrote:
                                          > OK, registered myself to the list. Glad you've elected to run it, as
                                          I'm
                                          > currently unemployed/able, so I'm trying to get work which precludes
                                          me
                                          > from sitting down to write a campaign. That said, glad to play. I
                                          only
                                          > have books 1-5, so I'm stiffed on book 6, LoL

                                          You find a copy of Book 6 in the files sections of this group.
                                          Very helpful!

                                          cheers

                                          GA13
                                        • Karl K H Chan
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                            Come to think of it Shaun, what's the maximum limit of players? Just
                                            wonderin' whether we might end up wiv' a 36-odd player adventuring party or
                                            somethin'....

                                            Hey, ok, but can you sorta' like designate where we'll start off with?
                                            Ellesland or Krarth, or maybe.... uh, Mungoda?

                                            When do you plan to start the character designs?

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 13, 2002
                                              On 14 Dec 2002 at 2:39, Karl K H Chan wrote:

                                              > Come to think of it Shaun, what's the maximum limit of players? Just
                                              > wonderin' whether we might end up wiv' a 36-odd player adventuring party or
                                              > somethin'....
                                              >
                                              > Hey, ok, but can you sorta' like designate where we'll start off with?
                                              > Ellesland or Krarth, or maybe.... uh, Mungoda?
                                              >
                                              > When do you plan to start the character designs?

                                              These are issues I intend to discuss on the other list, but briefly:

                                              (1) Maximum limit - I envisage something around 8 at most - probably less - but
                                              we'll have to wait and see.
                                              (2) Where we'll start will be discussed on the list - I do have some ideas about
                                              where I would like to start a campaign and I will reveal those there, but I am willing
                                              to be flexible.
                                              (3) Character creation depends on how soon people join the other list, and how
                                              many people there are.

                                              I will post over there this evening (it's 2pm my time now)

                                              Yours Without Wax, Dreadnought
                                              Shaun Hately |webpage: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
                                              (ISTJ) |email: drednort@... | ICQ: 6898200
                                              "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in
                                              common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter
                                              the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen
                                              to be one of the facts that need altering." The Doctor - Doctor Who:
                                              The Face of Evil | Where am I: Frankston, Victoria, Australia
                                            • Damien Wise
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 14, 2002
                                                On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Karl K H Chan wrote:

                                                > Come to think of it Shaun, what's the maximum limit of players? Just
                                                > wonderin' whether we might end up wiv' a 36-odd player adventuring party or
                                                > somethin'....

                                                Who said they're working together in a party? I hear The Battlepits of
                                                Krarth are crawling with nasties at the moment... ;)

                                                > Hey, ok, but can you sorta' like designate where we'll start off with?
                                                > Ellesland or Krarth, or maybe.... uh, Mungoda?
                                                >
                                                > When do you plan to start the character designs?

                                                Count me in as a player -- I'll take a look at the rego process in a
                                                moment...

                                                Also, gimme a yell if you want another writer/ideas-person/GM. :)

                                                Damien Wise
                                                +----------------------+---------------------------------------------+
                                                | wiz#zikzak.net | God damn cheap monkeys. |
                                                +----------------------+---------------------------------------------+
                                              • Karl K H Chan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 14, 2002
                                                  Usin' all the official rules eh? Well, guess, character design is
                                                  straightforward, but it's gonna' be a pain if ai' have to waste time off the
                                                  main storyline explaining how a krarthian is in ellesland, or a mungodan in
                                                  Chaubrette maybe. Don't want to depart too far from the storyline. Wonder,
                                                  so, limit of 8, we got a good number right now, 5 last time ai' looked,
                                                  before Damian mentioned his entry. Shall we have a limit? Til', hey, when
                                                  did we suggest this anyway?

                                                  Monday? Wed? Hell, ai'd love to balance out the party, if we got one of
                                                  each, hell....

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 14, 2002
                                                    To pinch an overused saying from an American pal of mine - SWEET!

                                                    I'm trying to subscribe via the web now but Yahoo is barfing upon all
                                                    my attempts, so please put a marker in for me until I get through - I
                                                    dont want to lose my place :-)

                                                    It's probably no use to anyone here, but just in case I have the real
                                                    real real basics of DW character creation and combat in a handy
                                                    document I prepared earlier. It was to give to some DW-Ignorant guys
                                                    for running them through some adventures in the Books. DW books being
                                                    out of print and rare does have a few advantages :-D

                                                    O'Borg