DW books for sale

  • Rob Mammone
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 5, 2002
    • captainstarkiller
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2002
        Also the following are up for sale -

        Dragon Warriors 1,2,3 Item # 1548057565

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1548057565

        DRAGON WARRIORS VOL 1, Item # 1547000441

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1547000441

        White Dwarf No. 71 - November 1985 - Rare, Item # 1747445888

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747445888

        White Dwarf 71: Dragon Warriors/AD&D/Cthulhu, ,Item # 1747058434

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747058434

        Still, the power of darkness is only on sale for £10. And I thought
        that people kept saying that they wanted it.

        Nim.

        --- In dragwars@y..., "Rob Mammone" <linrob@a...> wrote:

        > Power of Darkness
        > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747166460
        >
        > Out of the Shadows
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546973787
        >
        > Battlepits of Krarth
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1547993281
        >
        > Fabled Lands 6
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1745609345
      • captainstarkiller
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2002
          I forgot - a Golden Dragon book

          Item #: 1546509628
          Title: 2 FANTASY ADVENTURE BOOKS-EXCELLENT CONDITION
          Price: £1.00
          Bids: 0
          Starts: 28-Jun-02 23:33:50 BST

            "
            " http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747445888
            "
            "
            "
            " White Dwarf 71: Dragon Warriors/AD&D/Cthulhu, ,Item # 1747058434
            "
            " http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747058434

            A particularly good issue, 71. Indeed, there was a sudden improvement in quality
            which lasted until issue 77 and my, er, someone's, departure from the magazine.

            Only joking. Actually, the only thing worth getting 71 for is Box of Old Bones, and it's
            available elsewhere.

            ----
            Best wishes

            Paul Mason
            Outlaws/imazine http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~panurge
          • captainstarkiller
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2002
              Did you have anything to do with the adventure at the time and was
              that when you became interested in Dragon Warriors or was it at a
              different time?

              Nim.

              --- In dragwars@y..., Paul Mason <panurge@t...> wrote:
              > A particularly good issue, 71. Indeed, there was a sudden
              improvement in quality
              > which lasted until issue 77 and my, er, someone's, departure from
              the magazine.

              > Only joking. Actually, the only thing worth getting 71 for is Box
              of Old Bones, and it's
              > available elsewhere.
              >
              > ----
              > Best wishes
              >
              > Paul Mason
              > Outlaws/imazine http://www.tcp-ip.or.jp/~panurge
            • Paul Mason
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2002
                captainstarkiller wrote on Jul 9:

                " Did you have anything to do with the adventure at the time and was
                " that when you became interested in Dragon Warriors or was it at a
                " different time?

                My involvement with the adventure was proofreading it only.

                At the time DW seemed like another attempt by large publishers to 'muscle in' on the
                roleplaying field, and we derived some amusement from the publisher's ignorance
                and marketing strategy (Book One targeted at the South of England, Book Two at the
                Midlands, Book Three at the North, no doubt to discover which one would sell best!).
                We were also annoyed that our typesetters kept 'correcting' the Elven Crystals to
                'The Eleven Crystals'.

                But no, I got interested when, a little later, I actually read the books in order to do a
                comparative review with Pendragon for my fanzine. And around that time my
                girlfriend managed to get us into Dave's Tekumel game.

                ----

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 9, 2002
                  I do not know if anyone ever finds these postings any use but I keep
                  doing it anyway.

                  Elven Crystals (Sold in Australia)

                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                  ViewItem&item=1548571809&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:UK:1

                  2.
                  Item #: 1548558244
                  Title: lot of 4 GOLDEN DRAGON FANTASY GAMEBOOKS
                  Price: US $4.99
                  Bids: 0
                  Starts: 08-Jul-02 07:00:09 BST

                  This lot of 4 GOLDEN DRAGON FANTASY GAMEBOOKS includes the following
                  titles:

                  2 The Temple of Flame (Dave Morris & Oliver Johnson) - the adventure
                  sheet is unwritten
                  3 The Lord of Shadow Keep (Oliver Johnson) - adventure sheet has been
                  pencilled in
                  4 The Eye of the Dragon (Dave Morris) - the adventure sheet is
                  unwritten
                  5 Curse of the Pharaoh (Oliver Johnson) - the adventure sheet is
                  unwritten

                  Nim.
                • Gez da' Loud 1
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 9, 2002
                    you ARE VERITABLE MINE OF INFORMATION. these POSTINGS ARE VERY USEFUL
                    ESPECIALLY TO NEW CONVERTS OF THE SYSTEM.
                    Gez

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 9, 2002
                      Thanks for the positive feedback. I will keep posting these messages.

                      Nim.

                      --- In dragwars@y..., "Gez da' Loud 1" <Loud@b...> wrote:
                      > you ARE VERITABLE MINE OF INFORMATION. these POSTINGS ARE VERY
                      USEFUL
                      > ESPECIALLY TO NEW CONVERTS OF THE SYSTEM.
                      > Gez

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Kharille Chartres
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2002
                        Seriously, I think it's god damn appropriate, good work, cause' ai' don't
                        have a fast connection and can't be bothered to scan aroun' Ebay. It's good
                        that you're lookin' all the time. In good time, maybe after about 5 years
                        ai' might think about gettin' a whole new collection. By then ai' expect
                        the price to shoot up to maybe 200 Quid a book. Certainly not at this time
                        wiv' my salary.

                        Actually there's a few items that ai' want NOW, that are not DW, but my
                        connection is so slow ai' can't be bothered lookin'.

                        But yeah, that's DW stuff there.

                        Hey, can anybody remind me what was the justification for puttin' book 6 up
                        on the list? Think ai' was out of touch wiv' the list at the time. Why
                        didn't you guys do the same wiv' the rest of the book?

                        Legless used to be in the French Foreign Legion. One day, whilst patrolling
                        the desert...
                        (Camel) MERDE!!!
                        Legless deserted to look for some grass.......

                      • Shaun Hately
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 10, 2002
                          On 10 Jul 2002 at 10:49, Kharille Chartres wrote:

                          > Hey, can anybody remind me what was the justification for puttin' book 6 up
                          > on the list? Think ai' was out of touch wiv' the list at the time. Why
                          > didn't you guys do the same wiv' the rest of the book?

                          Simple answer is that I scanned Book 6 for my own use (to preserve my original
                          copy).

                          I raised the fact on list that I was going to check with a lawyer friend of mine (also a
                          DW player) if there was a way this could be distributed to people who already
                          owned Book 6 - as a back up copy, and asked the list if there was any interest in it,
                          if I could find a *legal* way of distributing the book on a limited basis.

                          Anyway, while we were discussing it, Tim Harford (who has contact with Dave
                          Morris) simplified the issue considerably by passing on the message that Dave
                          didn't object to OCRed copies being distributed to members of this list for personal
                          use, and as Dave is the Copyright holder on the text (the OCRed copies have the
                          illustrations removed except for the maps - illustrations are listed as Copyright
                          Transworld Publishers Ltd), that was really cool and generous of him. The relevant
                          message is #760 in the archives.

                          It's not clear from the message if Dave Morris was giving permission only for Book
                          6, or for 1,2,4 as well - and the thing is scanning and OCRing Book 6 alone wasn't a
                          trivial exercise in terms of time. So basically I don't know what Dave Morris would
                          say to the idea of the other books being distributed, even if somebody put them
                          together. And besides Book 5 is Copyright Oliver Johnson (Book 3 as well, I think -
                          can't see my copy - that green cover means it's always getting hidden among my
                          Fighting Fantasy books!) and we haven't heard anything from him.

                          The advice I have is that, legally, it is very probably OK to make copies for personal
                          use - and probably OK to give such a copy to someone else who already owns the
                          book as a 'backup copy'. But the legal aspect isn't all that is involved here - Dave
                          Morris and Oliver Johnson produced something we enjoy and even if a legal reason
                          for distribution is found, there is, IMHO, a serious reason not to abuse their rights.
                          Dave Morris has been generous enough to allow an OCR of Book 6 to be distributed
                          to people on this list. That generousity should not be abused.

                          Yours Without Wax, Dreadnought
                          Shaun Hately |webpage: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~drednort/thelab.html
                          (ISTJ) |email: drednort@... | ICQ: 6898200
                          "You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in
                          common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter
                          the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen
                          to be one of the facts that need altering." The Doctor - Doctor Who:
                          The Face of Evil | Where am I: Frankston, Victoria, Australia
                        • captainstarkiller
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 11, 2002
                            Regarding the copyright issue, has any one been able to address this
                            issue with OJ?

                            Things would be more simple then or am I wrong in saying so?

                            Last point, Bloodsword book 2 has just come up for sale.

                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1748970175

                            I see that Book 5 is only on sale for £10. And I thought that people
                            wanted other copies!

                            Nim
                          • Rob Mammone
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 11, 2002

                              Last point, Bloodsword book 2 has just come up for sale.

                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1748970175

                              I see that Book 5 is only on sale for £10.  And I thought that people
                              wanted other copies!

                              Nim

                              Yeah, so did I!  And I listed the damn thing!  You live and learn.
                            • Kharille Chartres
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 13, 2002
                                Great stuff shaun, ai' hope you or someone can immortalize the works.
                                Havin' to preserve my books beside calcium chloride salts means that ai'
                                have to replace the dehumidifiers every 3 months, which is a pain. Ai'
                                don't open em' any more, don't read em', cause' they're ancient. Hey, my
                                book 1 says printed in 86' ai' think, that's 16 years ago, ai' is savin' it
                                for my retirement. Not sure if they'll last another decade or two.

                                Forget about playin' it. Maybe on a special occasion, some Hong Kong based
                                DW convention maybe, otherwise they stay locked up here.

                              • arsenalrgreat@wewontheleague.co.uk
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 17, 2002
                                  Silly question, but why do you not buy replacement copies? As mine were falling apart, that is what I did. Still won't solver the problem of them falling apart later but is that why you have not done so?

                                  Speaking of buying things,

                                  Book 2 (Sold in the States)
                                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1549903230

                                  Book 3 (sold in Hong Kong)
                                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1549688252

                                  Nim.

                                  Great stuff shaun, ai' hope you or someone can immortalize the works.
                                  Havin' to preserve my books beside calcium chloride salts means that ai'
                                  have to replace the dehumidifiers every 3 months, which is a pain. Ai'
                                  don't open em' any more, don't read em', cause' they're ancient. Hey, my
                                  book 1 says printed in 86' ai' think, that's 16 years ago, ai' is savin' it
                                  for my retirement. Not sureV°ñtheynü7ll last another decade or two.

                                  Forget about playin' it. Maybe on a special occasion, some Hong Kong based
                                  DW convention maybe, otherwise they stay locked up here.

                                  Legless used to be in the French Foreign Legion. One day, whilst patrolling
                                  the desert...
                                  (Camel) MERDE!!!
                                  Legless deserted to look for some grass.......

                                  Sent by Another.com User: Nirmalan de Silva

                                  The mad one.

                                  (It is hard for me to see with my head up my arse.)

                                  --
                                  Personalised email by http://another.com
                                • captainstarkiller
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 30, 2002
                                    Four books this time.

                                    The first - book four (Out of the Shadows) from Sunny Suffolk @ £4.99
                                    (and it is very sunny today).

                                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1552641257

                                    The next three are from Hong Kong. I have bought from this guy
                                    before and I recommend him as the service was fast and efficient.

                                    Bloodsword

                                    Book 1

                                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1552758175

                                    Book 2

                                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1552759316

                                    Book 3

                                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1552757758

                                    They are all up for £9.99 with a buy it now option for £15.00 if you
                                    wish to avoid bidding.

                                    Nim.
                                  • Kharille Chartres
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 30, 2002
                                      Who is this guy? Another gamer in Hong Kong? Anybody got a clue who he is,
                                      cause' ai' certainly ain't partin' wiv' my copies.....

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 30, 2002
                                        Do not know who he is. You can e-mail him from the link if need be
                                        however. Personally I think that he must be a dealer as I bought
                                        bloodsword books from him. Now I am just looking for Bloodsword book
                                        5 (sold for over £40 last week - I did not post it as I was bidding
                                        for it).

                                        On the subject of book five, the Power of Darkness is for sale
                                        again. £2.50 at the moment.

                                        Item #: 1552859811
                                        Title: DRAGON WARRIORS-GAMEBOOK 5 -POWER OF DARKNESS
                                        Price: £2.50
                                        Bids: 0
                                        Starts: 29-Jul-02 20:48:52 BST

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 4, 2002
                                          Another copy of book five is for sale again.

                                          DRAGON WARRIORS 5 POWER OF DARKNESS

                                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1755756066

                                          £5 at the moment and it is for sale in Austrailia. As the previous
                                          auction is still running, now is probably a good chance to get it
                                          cheap.