Geography

  • ArsenalRgreat@i-hate-spurs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 3:46 AM
      --- In dragwars@y..., "Wayne Imlach" <wimlach@a...> wrote:
      > This is in fact one of the reasons I have stuck with the Legend setting over
      > the years - I can easily reference real world examples when describing an
      > area to my players and they immediately have a good idea of what to imagine.
      >
      > Albion - It's England
      > Cornumbria - It's Wales
      > Thuland - it's like a medieval Scotland with a strong Nordic flavour.
      > Glissom and Ereworn - It's the celtic aspect of Scotland and Ireland.
      > True Faith - it's like Christianity
      > Ta'ashim - it's like the Muslim faith
      >
      > etc.
      >
      > These also provide a good reference for vocal accents - my players could
      > usually quickly determine the origins of an NPC by the silly voice I put
      > on... :)

      I also think of them as such though I just view Thuland as Scotland as pictured in Highlander (the original) and Macbeth. Glissom and Ereworn while possibly comparable to Eire and Northern Ireland are far too different to be so based on books three and five. Saying that, there are an awful lot of legends from Eire that could be used. Balor of the evil eye has already been used %2¶;)ôbe t"t makes Glissom Eire) and a version of Lugh Lamfada is in Book four. No mention of the Sidhe howver.

      I guess that with the internal strife, Ereworn could be meant to be Northern Ireland.

      I actually always have imagined Ferromaine to be Venice but have not worked out where the canals are. I am glad that I am not the only one.

      %0¿=ît go-âa bok on Medieval Italian Castle histories. The Catholic church at the turn of the millenium was quite interesting. Pity it can not be use as the New Selentine Empire is far more stable that Italy of the comparable time.

      Nim.

      (There is no problem too big and nasty that you can not run away from, and he who fights and runs away, lives to run another day)

      --
      Personalised email by http://another.com
    • jamoweed
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 5:52 AM
        > I also think of them as such though I just view Thuland as Scotland
        as pictured in Highlander (the original) and Macbeth. Glissom and
        Ereworn while possibly comparable to Eire and Northern Ireland are
        far too different to be so based on books three and five. Saying
        that, there are an awful lot of legends from Eire that could be
        used. Balor of the evil eye has already been used %2¶;)ôbe t"t
        makes Glissom Eire) and a version of Lugh Lamfada is in Book four.
        No mention of the Sidhe howver.

        Lurker here. The Sidhe are mentioned in Book 4 on the last page as
        the supposed builders of Myrkyn's underworld: "the Sithi Danu, a race
        of High Elves worshipped as gods by the ancient Madhir tribe that
        once dwelt in these isles".

        Jamo