Beyond Master Bowman?

  • Wayne Imlach
    Message 1 of 110 , Sep 5, 2012

      How many shots per round? I count approx. four knocked and loosed in six seconds, though no doubt with fairly hefty accuracy penalties that would make it impractical at anything but short range.

      The skill is known as Kinzhalka” or “Dagger Technique”.

      Skill of the Mighty – Rapid Fire Technique
      The bowman may fire off several arrows in a single round, though her Attack score is halved for each shot, and defence is considered zero such is the concentration required to loose so many arrows so swiftly.

      The first shot is at full reflexes. D8 is rolled and deducted from reflexes to determine if and when the next shot occurs. Each subsequent shot reduces reflexes by a further D8, until it drops below 1, at which point no more shots can be taken.

      Critical hits are also ignored using this technique, so a 1 does not automatically hit or bypass armour. Being interrupted at all during the round (such as being attacked or taking a wound) also stops the sequence.

      Example:

      Archer, reflexes of 13.

      First shot at REF:13
      (D8 roll of 3)
      Next shot at REF: 10
      (D8 roll of 6)
      Next shot at REF: 4
      (D8 roll of 2)
      Next shot at REF: 2
      (D8 roll of 4)
      This brings REF lower than 1, so no more shots can be taken.

      An archer with a reflexes score of 11 will average about 3 shots per round using this technique. An archer with very high reflexes (18) will average around 4 or 5 shots per round.

      A lucky run on the dice might allow an entire quiver to be loosed in a single round, but this will be rare, and no doubt become the stuff of legend.
    • Kharille
      Message 110 of 110 , Sep 17, 2012
        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Murray <rumtap@...> wrote:

        > i have no problem with the concept of a stamina rule,
        >
        > I'd just use a more simple method.
        >
        > In any situation where a GM feels that a player has exerted themselves have them roll strength or under on d20 or a penalty applies such as a temporary loss of d4 points off strength, or health, whatever.
        >
        > Quick and easy no extra book keeping, apply an immediate result and move on.

        That works for me. Hard enough to keep track of the changes to derived stats...