Re: [dragwars] Re: Bloodsword in the Dragwars system...

  • Shaun Hately
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
      Believe me, some of those involved in writing things for DW are
      interested in Blood Sword too. I have pages and pages and pages of notes
      I made when I ran a Blood Sword campaign in my own DW game.

      But if you follow Dave Morris' blog, you'll see a few mentions of plans
      he has for Blood Sword as well (or at least tentative ideas of plans)
      and I would assume he gets the first chance to decide what is done with
      it, or if he wants anybody else to be able to play with it.

      http://fabledlands.blogspot.com/search/label/Blood%20Sword
    • Damien Wise
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
        I've also played through Blood Sword as a series of linked DW
        adventures. It was fabulous!
        The GM referred to the game-books often, and had a copious set of notes.

        Publishing a "DW add-on" to the game-books would be frustrating for
        whoever writes it, deeply annoying to the original authors, tricky to
        follow for GMs, and require a set of the original Bloodsword books
        (difficult to buy nowadays, and it'll be a long time before they're
        out of copyright).

        My advice to anyone wanting to run the series as a Dragon Warriors
        game is to produce your own adaptation (looked like a lot of work, but
        I can attest from a player's point of view that it's worth it!)...or
        wait for the authors to find the time to make an official version.
        Personally, i'm hoping there's such a thing soon, but realistically
        have doubts.

        Don't be discouraged from converting other sources into Dragon
        Warriors. I've successfully converted and run "The Temple of Flame", a
        Golden Dragon gamebook by Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson. They players
        were so hooked by their exploration of a stepped pyramid deep in the
        Mungoda that they pleaded with me to extend it on-the-fly.
        This was easier than you'd think, since the lead-up to the climax was
        a montage that goes something like "You race down innumerable twisting
        tunnels, past crumbling columns, descending into deeper levels of the
        pyramid and through submerged corridors, and finally emerge--"...there
        were howls of protest from the players. So, in essence, I filled-in
        the details and added a few underground levels to the pyramid. :)

        Has anyone else here played the Bloodsword adventures as Dragon
        Warriors scenarios?

        Cheers,
        Damien

        --
        Damien.Wise@...
      • bonivantchaplain@tiscali.co.uk
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
          I have never read Bloodsword, alas, so where do these Swords of Life and Death come from?
        • Christopher Loh
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
            It was created because the dead was in the land of living ..... and the living was in the land of dead.

            Two swords was created (by God or the archangel) to separate the land of the living and the dead.

            Sword of Life (or known as Bloodsword) and Sword of Death.

            The world is supposed to be screwed when the sword of life is in hell and sword of death is in the land of living. This happen during the gamebook play due to the action of a recurring villian.

            I strongly encourage those guys who have yet to read and play the series to do so asap.

            Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 2:04 AM
            Subject: Re: [dragwars] Bloodsword in the Dragwars system...

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
              I would like to suggest that we pull our resources together to list down the heroes, villains or notable NPCs that we created in our game.

              A standard stat block is given and a list of the person's goal, motivations, equipment, modus operandi, quirks, magical items and etc.

              This will help GM to pull out a "fully formed" character rather than a "cardboard Bob the 10th level fighter" or "Joe the innkeeper".

              Adventure hooks can be provided as well.

              Perhaps those who submitted characters for friends and foes, that did not make it to the print, can start first?

              GMs are welcome to make the submission on your players behalf if they are not part of the discussion group.

              Nim, I was thinking maybe you want to help Peter to put his Thorsten up first?

              Chris
            • Wayne Imlach
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                Excerpt from Blood Sword book 3:

                'As you may have heard it told,' says Emeritus. 'In the very earliest days of the world there was no way for the living and the dead to tell one another apart. Between Life and Death there was not the absolute line that exists today, but only a kind of inconstant blur. Eventually this became intolerable. so the Archangel Abdiel was sent down to earth and cut apart the place for the living from the place for the dead. He created two icons of this Parting - two great swords of power. One of these, the Sword of Death, remained beneath the earth until brought back from hell by the paladin Ganelon. It is said that he hoped to use it against the very forces of the Dark One, but was corrupted himself by the intensity of its deathly power. Ganelon's eventual fate is well known. and I need not recount it to you, I am sure. The Sword of Death, often referred to as the Demon’s Claw, is now thought to be somewhere in Marazid. The other sword contained within its blade the essence of Life. Speaking for myself, this is a concept I cannot grasp, but many warriors have spoken to me of the mystical concept of the sword that is a force for life even as it dispenses death. That is what the Sword of Life - the "Blood Sword" - embodies. This sword was broken by Vaunt the Seven-Eyed, a fiend from the frozen desert wastes of Krarth. I thought even the fragments had been destroyed or lost forever, but it seems that is not the case.'

                'Was the Blood Sword created to destroy the last of the True Magi?' you ask Emeritus.

                'Not originally - not according to the version of the myth that I have just recounted. But remember that Truth has more than one shape and speaks with more than one tongue. If we stand in a river, it is one fed by many tributaries. Some would claim that it was indeed for the express purpose of slaying the True Magi that the sword was forged. It will certainly be able to accomplish that, as Blue Moon and his ilk are of the Undead. I mean this not in the trite sense that Adventurers use the term, when they speak of clattering skeletons and shambling zombies as "undead'. Some great entities linger in the world without tasting death, and their undeath is a kind of apotheosis. This applies to Heoroweard the Outcast. Vallandar of Ancient Ellesland, the God-King Imref Kharid, vampiric Lord Abraxus. and other figures of myth. The last True Magi belong to this category. and the Blood Sword will sever their link with our reality and send them into the Void.'

                Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 2:04 AM

                I have never read Bloodsword, alas, so where do these Swords of Life and Death come from?

              • Kharille
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                  > Has anyone else here played the Bloodsword adventures as Dragon
                  > Warriors scenarios?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Damien

                  Heres a thought... What say a few of us GM battlepits of krarth for the guys who have not played it? The fact that it would be disorganized would add to the fun of it... We could see which GM is available to continue the storyline and resolve combat.... Multi GMing for the players?

                  I would recommend against copying the original book and characters....
                • Kharille
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011

                    > Nim, I was thinking maybe you want to help Peter to put his Thorsten up first?
                    >
                    > Chris

                    Always entertaining. I thought Thorsten has an entry on the wiki?
                  • Christopher Loh
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                      Unfortunately it lack the stats block.

                      Though having some villains or anti-hero is always good :D Tempted to put in Yan Qing for the fun of it.

                      Maybe some would like to do a conversion of the existing personalities in DW world? Say Baron Aldred and etc?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                        --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Loh" <chloh77@...> wrote:

                        > Unfortunately it lack the stats block.
                        >
                        > Though having some villains or anti-hero is always good :D Tempted to put in Yan Qing for the fun of it.
                        >
                        > Maybe some would like to do a conversion of the existing personalities in DW world? Say Baron Aldred and etc?

                        Name: Thorsten Grundheim
                        Profession: Barbarian
                        Rank: 3
                        Str: 16
                        Ref: 9
                        Int: 8
                        Psy: 4
                        Lks: 13
                        Attack: 18
                        Defence: 9
                        Evasion: 5
                        Stealth: 13
                        Perception: 5
                        Magical Defence: 3
                        HP: 15
                        Experience: 60
                        Armour: chain
                        Armour Factor: 4
                        Weapons: 2-handed sword, dagger
                        Equipment:
                        Bedroll
                        Hide backpack
                        Lantern
                        Flint & tinder
                        Bone needle & coarse thread
                        Small set of wood carving tools
                        Leather purse with 20 florins

                        Age: 29
                        Height: 6'4" (193cm)
                        Weight: 240 pounds (110 kg)
                        Eyes: blue
                        Hair: Faded blonde

                        Appearance:
                        Tall, muscular man with long blond hair in a single braid, and a
                        flowing beard braided into two. Wears a mail shirt over a dirty brown
                        leather tunic, black leather breeches and knee length fur-lined boots.
                        Hardened leather bracers studded with iron spikes protect his forearms,
                        while the full-length mail shirt protects his body and legs. Mail
                        shirt is normally hemmed up to allow for easier mobility. For
                        protection from the elements Thorsten wears a thick cloak woven from
                        sheep's wool impregnated with a mixture of vegetable and fish oils.
                        Carried in a leather-bound scabbard slung over his back is a large
                        bone-handled broadsword inscribed with Thulandic runes.

                        Background:
                        At a young age Thorsten left the communal mead-hall behind to join his
                        father and brothers aboard a Thulandic longship. After several years
                        at sea, during which he proved his prowess as a seaman and warrior,
                        Thorsten's family had saved enough gold to commission their own
                        longship, and seek their fortune on the high seas. However, disaster
                        struck on their third voyage out from Katorheim, as the vessel was
                        ravaged by a series of ferocious winter storms. With the rigging
                        destroyed beyond repair, and two thirds of the crew lost overboard, the
                        longship drifted helplessly until the few survivors were picked up by
                        a Mercanian merchantman and carried to Clyster. Stranded in a strange
                        land, with no friends, no food and no money, and grieving from the loss
                        off his family, Thorsten turned his back on the sea and started earning
                        a meagre living as a mercenary, bodyguard, and petty thug for hire.
                        Seven years on he has acquired a larger-than-life reputation among the
                        seedier neighbourhoods of Clyster and its surrounds, as much for his
                        drinking and carousing as for his prowess as a warrior.
                      • Christopher Loh
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 1, 2011
                          Missed that post Smile emoticon

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 2, 2011
                            At Conquest 2012, Melbourne, Australia, Easter Long Weekend, Friday 6th
                            April to Monday 9th April, 2012,

                            A Dragon Warriors Scenario
                            by Shaun Hately

                            The Fall of Erincastra

                            ...and so it came to pass that the Legions withdrew from Ellesland, for
                            such was the danger to the Empire’s heart that even a healthy and
                            strong limb might be sacrificed to preserve the life of the whole. But
                            the chaos of the retreat meant that when the Thuls came over the
                            broken wall that last time they struck south with some ferocity that
                            they were at the walls of the city within only eight days and there
                            was neither time to reinforce from local Auxiliaries nor to carry the
                            treasures of the Church to a place of true safety. All that is known
                            is that the Bishop and a handful of Priests took up arms and removed
                            the casket from the altar of the Cathedral and left the city by the
                            southern gates as the barbarians swarmed through the northern gate.
                            And one of the greatest relics of the True Faith was lost to the sight
                            and knowledge of man, to the detriment of Legend and the Holy Church...
                            - From the Cantorbridge Chronicles
                          • Robert Mammone
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 3, 2011
                              some ferocity or such ferocity?

[...]