Book two

  • captainstarkiller@superhero.co.uk
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
      Just thought that I would interrupt the threads being discussed, Book two is for sale on eBay.

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1520103789

      And while I think that orcs make good cannon fodder, lots of them with missile weapons make players have to think of a way to deal with them in more subtle manners.

      Nim

      Sent by Another.com User: Nirmalan de Silva

      (to insanity and beyond...)

      --
      Get personalised email addresses at http://another.com
    • Khar'Hal Charuid
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
        Well, what could be wrong wiv' Orcs in plate armour? In my world, the idea
        was, though the orcs were wasted, suddenly this race of intelligent,
        technologically advanced orcs suddenly came in by sea from the west. Really
        advanced ones wiv' metallurgy an' an established society. Much different
        from the wild orcs that were exterminated on the main continent by the
        powers of darkness.

        Just my idea, 15 at the time. If it's an unconscious rip off somewhere else
        please notify me cause' ai' can't remember. Remember in LOD the elves set
        sail for the west. Who'd think some nerd invasion force would come from the
        west?

        >And while I think that orcs make good cannon fodder, lots of them with
        >missile weapons make players have to think of a way to deal with them in
        >more subtle manners.
        >

        >Nim

        Legless was watching tv one day when all of a sudden......

        .....He was doused in burning petrol.

        AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

        Fortunately his girlfriend just happened to be there to put the fire out
        wiv' a cricket bat.....

      • Gez da' Loud 1
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
          Orcs are the product of evil. It doesn't take much to give the creatures a
          logical reason for their existence in a gaming world. They were spawned by
          some evil mage as a loyal ferocious fighting force. Are the servants of some
          evil god as a mockery of all that is wholesome and good etc etc...I tended
          not to use orcs very often but since games workshop have brought out the
          really cool looking figures range from LOR (unlike the naff comic book
          figures they had before) I've tended to use them allot more, sad I know but
          I like using miniatures, The new D&D system allows monsters to advance in
          classes, like the players do, this minor detail had eluded my players so
          when their 5th level fighters were attacked by a raiding band of orcs they
          sighed and said. 'o look some nice cannon fodder' after they hit the orcs
          with their magic weapons and new feats and didn't down a rather nastily
          scarred brute the smile dropped off their faces and for the first time a
          fright trace of fear crossed their faces. It was splendid. Not all the orcs
          were classed some were rogues allowing them to back stab and some were
          barbarians and flew into a rage, scary. I suggest that orcs who spend their
          whole lives fighting will have gained ranks/levels and when your party next
          encounters a war band they'll think twice about engaging into combat.
          Gez 'Orc Lord' Chell

          Well, what could be wrong wiv' Orcs in plate armour? In my world, the idea
          was, though the orcs were wasted, suddenly this race of intelligent,
          technologically advanced orcs suddenly came in by sea from the west. Really
          advanced ones wiv' metallurgy an' an established society. Much different
          from the wild orcs that were exterminated on the main continent by the
          powers of darkness.

          Just my idea, 15 at the time. If it's an unconscious rip off somewhere else
          please notify me cause' ai' can't remember. Remember in LOD the elves set
          sail for the west. Who'd think some nerd invasion force would come from the
          west?

          >And while I think that orcs make good cannon fodder, lots of them with
          >missile weapons make players have to think of a way to deal with them in
          >more subtle manners.
          >

          >Nim

          Legless was watching tv one day when all of a sudden......

          .....He was doused in burning petrol.

          AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

          Fortunately his girlfriend just happened to be there to put the fire out
          wiv' a cricket bat.....

        • ndm230867
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In dragwars@y..., "Gez da' Loud 1" <Loud@b...> wrote:
            <snip>

            >The new D&D system allows monsters to advance in
            > classes, like the players do, this minor detail had eluded my
            players so
            > when their 5th level fighters were attacked by a raiding band of
            orcs they
            > sighed and said. 'o look some nice cannon fodder' after they hit
            the orcs
            > with their magic weapons and new feats and didn't down a rather
            nastily
            > scarred brute the smile dropped off their faces and for the first
            time a
            > fright trace of fear crossed their faces. It was splendid. <snip>

            I'm running the Sunless Citadel for D&D 3e at prsent, and the look on
            the Paldin's face when he realised that the Kobold at the back not
            only had more than three hit points, but was also a Sorceress... ah
            me.

            Back to Orcs, they are _far_ more interesting when one can expand on
            them in this way. It's just for massed ranks of evil in Legend undead
            seem more fitting, when you can't get loyal vassals of a corrupted
            noble. And even then, the ecromancer will be the power behind a
            throne, whispering treacherous falsehoods into some ambitious and
            covetous nobleman's ear...

            I have always played Legend as a more "folk-tale" influenced setting:
            all the atmosphere of a well done medieval world (as opposed to for
            example Warhammer's renaissance technology and cultures) without the
            strait-jacket of real history. Played simply as another Fantasy
            World, with Orcs etc, Legend for me looses a lot of its charm. I have
            never found the generic Fantasy settings (e.g. Forgotten Realms
            *shudder*) appealing. I like worlds / settings that I feel have a
            greater degree of coherence and integrity of vision (Glorantha,
            Athas, Tekumel, Space:1889, Middle-Earth) than standard generic
            Fantasy. Part of what I love about Legend is for me it's the easiests
            of worlds that fit that description for me to spring on mainstream
            players who don't normally notice such things...

            And in the end Orcs outside Middle-earth strikeme as out of place,
            like all the D&D spells named for Greyhawk mages, or playing Ninja's
            in Renaissance Venice...
          • Khar'Hal Charuid
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
              Ah, for me, ai' try to induce that 'real hatred' in my players for orcs.
              Basically, if they encounter enought of em', they'll probably fly into a
              range and make a point of committing some of the atrocities that they see
              orcs doing... (One disturbing thought, rape....)

              Yeah, that warhammer 'Fimir' thing about reproducing wiv' human women make
              em' a hated race.

              Ah, the personalities..... Just dum orcs that die on the point of your
              sword is boring, but if you 'roleplay' them well, give em' individual
              characteristics... Ah, think of the frustrated barbarian who charges after
              the elusive slinger orc..... away from the main combat scene, dividin' em'
              up into ambushes an' all..... I've had elite guard orcs, (The hobbit, the
              bodyguard of bolg), orc cavalry, orc light infantry, orc dogmasters, even
              ones that master the longbow.... Wild orcs, civilized orcs... man.... so
              damn fun....

              An' the players start to kill on sight.....

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                Ahh Kobolds another of my favourites..
                Orcs transplanted into another gaming environment doesn't work..I would
                disagree as they are simply expanded from goblins in folk lore.
                I suppose it does depend on your own gaming tastes and after all that's the
                beauty of being the god of your world
                Gez

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Ya' know, that's somethin' a'd be interested in.... Did Tolkien come up
                  wiv' da' orc out of the blue? Or was it based on some kinda', celtic myth
                  maybe? What's the definition of an orc? Came across em' all my life in
                  dnd, wfrp, palladium an' of course DW....

                  Maybe Tolkien shoulda' patented em'....

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                    > Ya' know, that's somethin' a'd be interested in.... Did Tolkien
                    come up
                    > wiv' da' orc out of the blue? Or was it based on some kinda',
                    celtic myth
                    > maybe? What's the definition of an orc? Came across em' all my
                    life in
                    > dnd, wfrp, palladium an' of course DW....
                    >
                    > Maybe Tolkien shoulda' patented em'....

                    The conception changed and altered somewhat in tellin I believe: my
                    impression is that in the early writings (up to and including the
                    Hobbit) I suspect Tolkein was drawing quite heavily on the generic
                    European Goblin / Hobgoblin "evil denizen of the Dark Wood". The
                    concept gradually shifted and by the writing of the Fangorn section
                    of the Lord of the Rings at the latest, he's got this concept of
                    corruption (Treebear talks about the Trolls as beings corrupt
                    mockeries of the Ents, as the Orcs were of the Elves). The word Orc
                    is probably one of JRRT's linguistic steals from another language.

                    > >Ahh Kobolds another of my favourites..
                    > >Orcs transplanted into another gaming environment doesn't work..I
                    would
                    > >disagree as they are simply expanded from goblins in folk lore.

                    But Goblins (and Hobgoblins and Boggarts and Spriggans and all th
                    eother "Dark Wood folk") are evil fiigures that lurk on the fringes
                    of human civilisation brining illl-fortune to those they victimise or
                    who are stupid enough to deal with them. They do not, in most folk-
                    tales anyway, form vast armies of unspeakable evil and march through
                    the land putting innoccents to the slaughter in th ename of some
                    strange deity. Men do though (aren't we a charming species!). Of
                    course Orcscan be transplanted. And you can run games with Ninja's in
                    renaissance Venice if you wish or a wild west campaign with Dragons
                    and Spaceships. And you may well make them work (I've tried several
                    of these myself and some have been fun). But atmosphere and style are
                    delicate things and my personal dislike of Orcs _in Legend_ is that
                    for me they break the feel of the world quite badly. YMM (and
                    obviously does!) V.

                    > >I suppose it does depend on your own gaming tastes and after all
                    that's the
                    > >beauty of being the god of your world

                    Absolutely. The problem comes when you try to get a _group_ of gamers
                    to reach a consensus about something like this. We've remianed
                    perfectly civilised in our discussion of our different approaches to
                    the use of Orcs in Legend / DW (a setting and rule set we both
                    basically like I would guess). There are places on the net where I'd
                    have been virtually burned in effigy (and then so would you !!). The
                    WotC boards for Athas (the dark Sun world) are _spectacularly_
                    vicious at times. And there was a huge stink when they announced a
                    Spelljammer lite coming up in Dungeon. Someone said it would
                    be "without nonsense like Space-hippos" and various purists
                    (apperently there were Space Hippos in Spell Jammer!) went balistic!

                    For me, the eral challenge of creating a game setting is making
                    it "feel" right, internally plausible and consistent.
                  • Jonas Eckerman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                      > Ya' know, that's somethin' a'd be interested in.... Did Tolkien come up
                      > wiv' da' orc out of the blue?

                      IIRC there were no "orcs" in The Hobbit, but there were goblins. Bilbo's sword/dagger could detect the goblins in the mountain. In Lord of the Rings there were no goblins but the same sword/dagger could detect "orcs" and there was mentions that the orcs had mustered their forces after what happened in The Hobbit.

                      To me this indicates that when Tolien wrote The Hobbit he had not yet come up with the idea of "orcs" and what they were, but somewhere bewteen writing The Hobbit and finishing LOTR he changed the goblins to "orcs" and gave them a quite specific history.

                      Regards
                      /Jonas
                    • ndm230867
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                        --- In dragwars@y..., "Jonas Eckerman" <jonas_lists@t...> wrote:
                        > > Ya' know, that's somethin' a'd be interested in.... Did Tolkien
                        come up
                        > > wiv' da' orc out of the blue?
                        >
                        > IIRC there were no "orcs" in The Hobbit, but there were goblins.
                        >Bilbo's sword/dagger could detect the goblins in the mountain. In
                        >Lord of the Rings there were no goblins but the same sword/dagger
                        >could detect "orcs" and there was mentions that the orcs had
                        >mustered
                        >their forces after what happened in The Hobbit.
                        >
                        > To me this indicates that when Tolien wrote The Hobbit he had not
                        >yet come up with the idea of "orcs" and what they were, but
                        >somewhere
                        >bewteen writing The Hobbit and finishing LOTR he changed the goblins
                        >to "orcs" and gave them a quite specific history.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > /Jonas

                        I think this doesn't quite work: Sting is specifically
                        mentioned as being of the same workmanship as Glamdring and Orcrist,
                        swords which were forged in Gondolin in Beleriand "for theGoblin
                        Wars". IIRC there is reference in
                        both the Hobbit and LOTR to "great black Uruk's of the Mountains" and
                        in LOTR I'm sure I remeber Grishnak et al being occasionally refered
                        to as goblins - I think Tolkien used the terms Goblin and Hobgoblin
                        in his early writing and coined the term Orc bewteen the Hobbit and
                        teh LOTR, but always meant the same creatures. Bearing in mind that
                        much of the First Age material was already written by the time he
                        wrote the Hobbit and the patronising tone of that book, I think its
                        much more likely that although even as he wrote teh Hobbit it ended
                        up connected to the mythology of Middle Earth, Tolkien deliberately
                        used conventional terms from mythology rather than inflict any of his
                        invented languages on his children.
                      • Gez da' Loud 1
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                          Apparently if memory serves, goblin was the name the hobbits gave to orcs.
                          Gez

                          > Ya' know, that's somethin' a'd be interested in.... Did Tolkien come up
                          > wiv' da' orc out of the blue?

                          IIRC there were no "orcs" in The Hobbit, but there were goblins. Bilbo's
                          sword/dagger could detect the goblins in the mountain. In Lord of the Rings
                          there were no goblins but the same sword/dagger could detect "orcs" and
                          there was mentions that the orcs had mustered their forces after what
                          happened in The Hobbit.

                          To me this indicates that when Tolien wrote The Hobbit he had not yet come
                          up with the idea of "orcs" and what they were, but somewhere bewteen writing
                          The Hobbit and finishing LOTR he changed the goblins to "orcs" and gave them
                          a quite specific history.

                          Regards
                          /Jonas

                        • Dylan Craig
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                            Nice discussion - it's always a pleasure to compare notes.

                            When I ran my last DW campaign, what I did to give DW orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins a less well-trodden fell than either generic FRP or Tolkein, was to make them all hellspawn. The infernal contracts of witches, hags and warlocks in my world generally had propagatory duties built in, and orc-kind were generally found in nests around their demented half-parent. There was also no such thing as a "purebreed" orc in my world - as soulless creatures, they were incapable of creating life except through congress (forced or otherwise) with mankind.

                            I'd make the whole thing a little more coherent if I ever revisited that campaign, but it worked well to shake up the tired old orc neanderthal image.

                            Free upgrade for your Windows Live Messenger! Click here!
                          • scurvy_bartella
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                              I think Orcs were in part based on the Formorians of the Celtic mythos.

                              In fact by just changing the name to Formorians they would dove tail into DW splendidly. Formorians were led by Barlor of the Evil Eye in Celtic Mythos and came out of the north from a floating base made of ice IIRC.

                              The Novel 'riders of the shide' has formorians in it as does the most excellent comic 'Slaine' (from 2000ad)

                              --- In dragwars@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Craig <wytchfynder@...> wrote:

                              > Nice discussion - it's always a pleasure to compare notes.
                              >

                              > When I ran my last DW campaign, what I did to give DW orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins a less well-trodden fell than either generic FRP or Tolkein, was to make them all hellspawn. The infernal contracts of witches, hags and warlocks in my world generally had propagatory duties built in, and orc-kind were generally found in nests around their demented half-parent. There was also no such thing as a "purebreed" orc in my world - as soulless creatures, they were incapable of creating life except through congress (forced or otherwise) with mankind.
                              >

                              > I'd make the whole thing a little more coherent if I ever revisited that campaign, but it worked well to shake up the tired old orc neanderthal image.

                              > Join the all-new Windows Live Messenger family
                              > http://get.live.com

                            • James Wallis
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                                Fomorians are appearing in the new material in Prince of Darkness. Not as
                                a new monster, more as creatures of myth and history that may still exist
                                in the frozen north. Take it as a footnote that may be explored in greater
                                depth in the future. And Ian Sturrock, who wrote the new parts of PoD,
                                also wrote the excellent Slaine RPG for Mongoose, so he knows his stuff.

                                James

                                --
                                James Wallis
                                Spaaace, the games consultancy
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                                  Good to see ol Barlor's Fomorians get a mention. Never had a close look at the Slaine RPG. Would be a great background to set stuff in though.