Skully 1; Mulder zip..

  • jackogreen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2004
      Well folks, With the passing of another 48 hours, it would seem the
      miraculous self-correcting online rumor mill has done it again. The
      groundswell of conspiracist "black box" voting scandals
      < http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/12/politics/12theory.html?
      hp&ex=1100322000&en=bef1453564cd6e4e&ei=5094&partner=homepage >
      largely spawned by the web has just as largely been quelled by it.
      Democracy, even the raw online version, is indeed a wondrous thing to
      behold. Though initially quite skeptical of claims about systematic
      fraud, I should admit here that I too was caught up in it
      (see "snafu" < http://biggertent.com/?q=node/5 >) once I saw
      the story headlining Oberman's Countdown <
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240 >. Shame on me. No, it would seem
      that a dark Rovian conspiracy is not the story of this election, but
      rather the dark Rovian GOTV ground game.

      That said, it sure seems to me that in the richest, most (blah, blah,
      blah..) one would hope that we could standardize, plan and run a less
      chaotic and ultimately disenfranchising election. The vote spoilage
      rate is much too high and tends to disproportionally impact poor and
      minority precincts. Optical scans and touchscreens need to be
      independently and thoroughly secured, tested then tested again. And
      yes we need a paper trail! Perhaps most outrageous of all the
      election foul ups though is that people would have to wait 3, 5, 7 or
      more hours to exercise their right to vote. This is absolutely
      disgraceful and unacceptable folks and in of itself may well have
      cost Kerry the election. Only those on a mission from God would
      happily stand in line in the rain for 4 hours to vote "the chosen
      one" back into office.

      I know, state jurisdictions and cost and.. but I'm convinced we need
      to pursue the called for federal investigation and with those results
      enact better federal law WITH TEETH to enforce across the board
      standards of fairness and efficiency. If states don't, won't or can't
      meet them, then their elections should not be sanctioned. Period. As
      for the cost, if we can with a straight face flush $200,000,000,000
      (,000,000,0..) down the toilet "fighting terrorism" in the debacle
      formerly known as Iraq, we can surely afford to run clean, fair and
      user friendly elections. Again period. Peace.

      Kit Robinson
      A Bigger tent
      Hold the Base, Take Back the Center!
      http://biggertent.com