DQSDTools 1.0 available

  • rockinfewl
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 12, 2001
      I managed to add the openWindow equivalent to DQSDTools.dll and did
      some further *flawless* testing. Tested on W2KPro, with IE5.5 and
      Opera 6.

      The updated project files can be found in the Files section.

      Also, for those smart enough to not bother with ATL, COM and family,
      there is the 'DQSDTools Bare Deliveries' zip. It contains just two
      files: the ActiveX component, and an adapted version of search.htm

      Installing an ActiveX component manually, including DQSDTools,
      involves gugling with REGSVR32. If you never heard of this tool, I
      suggest you use the DQSDTools WEB INSTALLER (wooohooo). This can be
      found at http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/dqsdtools.asp
      The Web installer downloads and installs everything in a snap. IE5 is
      required for this step.

      I invite you to play a bit around with the ActiveX, and make
      suggestions. Replacing your current search.htm with the adapted one
      makes a quick, easy and complete shift.
      DQSDTools allows for localisation, but currently only US English is
      supported. More languages can be added when desired.

      Have fun --
      Koen
    • Monty Scroggins
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 12, 2001
        I have some initial testing results of the launch-in-default-browser
        implementation..

        Opera - flawless!

        Netscape - The window opens but it doesnt redirect to the target site.. I
        am also getting
        an IE window with a google search in it..

        Netcaptor - This one works but I am also getting an IE window with a google
        search in it..

        All browser versions are the latest available..

        I had trouble getting the default browser to change from one app to another
        so
        I downloaded a utility - setBrowser to help do this easily-
        http://www.pc-tools.net/files/win32/freeware/stbrws14.exe

        I will keep testing..

        Monty

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • rockinfewl
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
          Great feedback Monty!

          (1) The browser apps are only fired up at the very end of the
          algorithm, so far so good.
          Yet you say Google gets also started up, meaning that some error was
          detected (Google is Dave's way to gracefully handle errors). Your
          feedback gives us a very narrow area where this error may have
          occurred. Thanks.

          (2) Why doesn't Netscape open correctly? Is Netscape not capable to
          accept command line arguments? Perhaps someone can try that
          out: 'netscape.exe http://groups.yahoo.com' Or something like that.

          (3) My apologies to you perhaps, and the others that attempted to
          install the ActiveX from the WhirlyWiryweb Web site. I hope the
          defects over there are fixed now.

          Koen

          --- In dqsdd@y..., Monty Scroggins <mscroggi@s...> wrote:
          > I have some initial testing results of the launch-in-default-browser
          > implementation..
          >
          > Opera - flawless!
          >
          > Netscape - The window opens but it doesnt redirect to the target
          site.. I
          > am also getting
          > an IE window with a google search in it..
          >
          > Netcaptor - This one works but I am also getting an IE window with
          a google
          > search in it..

        • Monty Scroggins
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
            The netscape browser starts up viewing the temporary html page -
            you can see the text "Form submitted... waiting for response"
            or something like that... but it doesnt redirect to the final
            destination...

            Monty

            (1) The browser apps are only fired up at the very end of the
            algorithm, so far so good.
            Yet you say Google gets also started up, meaning that some error was
            detected (Google is Dave's way to gracefully handle errors). Your
            feedback gives us a very narrow area where this error may have
            occurred. Thanks.

            (2) Why doesn't Netscape open correctly? Is Netscape not capable to
            accept command line arguments? Perhaps someone can try that
            out: 'netscape.exe http://groups.yahoo.com' Or something like that.

            (3) My apologies to you perhaps, and the others that attempted to
            install the ActiveX from the WhirlyWiryweb Web site. I hope the
            defects over there are fixed now.

            Koen

            --- In dqsdd@y..., Monty Scroggins <mscroggi@s...> wrote:
            > I have some initial testing results of the launch-in-default-browser
            > implementation..
            >
            > Opera - flawless!
            >
            > Netscape - The window opens but it doesnt redirect to the target
            site.. I
            > am also getting
            > an IE window with a google search in it..
            >
            > Netcaptor - This one works but I am also getting an IE window with
            a google
            > search in it..

          • Glenn Carr
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
              DQSDTools looks really good...

              Off the top of my head, the only thing that may cause intermittent trouble
              is when the form.submit() is invoked. I've had problems with elements not
              being fully loaded if the script is just embedded in the page. It might be
              a good idea to have the form.submit() fire in the body onload event. I
              think that this event fires only after the entire body is loaded. E.g.:

              <form name="searchform">
              <!-- more form tags here -->
              </form>

              ...or something like that.

              This also may be related to the problem with Netscape. Also, you may have
              to refer to the form in Netscape a bit differently, maybe more explicitly?
              (don't have it installed on this machine right now or I'd test it). Maybe
              document.searchform.submit()? I'll have to test when I get home tonight,
              unless someone else wants to check it out.

              Glenn

            • Monty Scroggins
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                Netscape works fine if the submit is changed to be
                "document.<form>.submit();" in the temporary html file..
                instead of only "<form>,submit();"

                Below is an example I was using for testing..

                This page spawns my default browser (netscape) and loads
                the weatherunderground page nicely...

                <form name=wundergf
                action=http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast
                method=get target=_self><input type=hidden value=75287 name=query></form>
                <script type="text/javascript">
                document.wundergf.submit();

                (1) The browser apps are only fired up at the very end of the
                algorithm, so far so good.
                Yet you say Google gets also started up, meaning that some error was
                detected (Google is Dave's way to gracefully handle errors). Your
                feedback gives us a very narrow area where this error may have
                occurred. Thanks.

                (2) Why doesn't Netscape open correctly? Is Netscape not capable to
                accept command line arguments? Perhaps someone can try that
                out: 'netscape.exe http://groups.yahoo.com' Or something like that.

                (3) My apologies to you perhaps, and the others that attempted to
                install the ActiveX from the WhirlyWiryweb Web site. I hope the
                defects over there are fixed now.

                Koen

                --- In dqsdd@y..., Monty Scroggins <mscroggi@s...> wrote:
                > I have some initial testing results of the launch-in-default-browser
                > implementation..
                >
                > Opera - flawless!
                >
                > Netscape - The window opens but it doesnt redirect to the target
                site.. I
                > am also getting
                > an IE window with a google search in it..
                >
                > Netcaptor - This one works but I am also getting an IE window with
                a google
                > search in it..

              • rockinfewl
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                  Adaption suggested by Glenn and Monty has been made, was very
                  successful, and has been uploaded to the Files section as 'DQSDTools
                  1.01 Bare Deliverables'.
                  Also the Web installer at
                  http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/dqsdtools.asp is version 1.01

                  Tested with IE5.5, Opera 6 and Netscape 6.1 on Win2K Pro.

                  If you have yesterday's version of DQSDTools already installed, you
                  may have to close Dave's Quick Start Deskbar, then restart your
                  computer, and then proceed to the Web install (or manual
                  installation).
                  After that, you can safely reactivate DQSD.

                  Koen

                  Service.

                • glenncarr
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                    Just fyi, it looks like the search.htm in the "DQSDTools
                    Deliverables.zip" has been digested and regurgitated by MSHTML.
                    Everything seems to work fine, but all the HTML tags are compressed
                    and there are some extra <META> tags.

                    Also noticed that my preferences were gone (the path for the
                    preferences.js had been changed to "search_files/preferences.js"
                    instead of just "preferences.js").

                    I have merged Keon's and Monty's changes with Dave's latest clean
                    v2.4.5 search.htm. It's posted here...

                    defaultbrowser_pref.htm

                    I also added a preference, useDefaultBrowser, to _not_ use the
                    default browser. (Since IE _is_ my default, the browser windows pop
                    up faster by just using window.open or form.submit.) Changed to also
                    use standard browser launching if the DQSDTools control couldn't be
                    instantiated.

                    Cheers,
                    Glenn

                    --- In dqsdd@y..., "rockinfewl" <one@w...> wrote:

                    > Adaption suggested by Glenn and Monty has been made, was very
                    > successful, and has been uploaded to the Files section
                    as 'DQSDTools
                    > 1.01 Bare Deliverables'.
                    > Also the Web installer at
                    > http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/dqsdtools.asp is version 1.01
                    >
                    > Tested with IE5.5, Opera 6 and Netscape 6.1 on Win2K Pro.
                    >
                    > If you have yesterday's version of DQSDTools already installed, you
                    > may have to close Dave's Quick Start Deskbar, then restart your
                    > computer, and then proceed to the Web install (or manual
                    > installation).
                    > After that, you can safely reactivate DQSD.
                    >
                    > Koen
                  • RockinFewl
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                      I just put Glenn's updated search 2.4.5 in the DQSDTools Deliverables zip.
                      Glenn's version is indeed a lot better than the quickly/sloppy edited copy I
                      put in there initially.

                      I feel that DQSDTools plus the adapted search 2.4.5 have succesfully met the
                      custom browser request.
                      Please report anomalies (how odd, stupid or unrelevant they may appear), for
                      the benefit of all.

                      Koen.

                      > Just fyi, it looks like the search.htm in the "DQSDTools
                      > Deliverables.zip" has been digested and regurgitated by MSHTML.
                      > Everything seems to work fine, but all the HTML tags are compressed
                      > and there are some extra <META> tags.
                      (...)
                      > I have merged Keon's and Monty's changes with Dave's latest clean
                      > v2.4.5 search.htm. It's posted here...

                      tbrowser_pref.htm
                      > (...)
                      > Cheers,
                      > Glenn
                    • Monty Scroggins
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                        Well the only problem I see is that with NetCaptor I still get a second IE
                        window every time a form is submitted.

                        NS62, Opera6 and IE6 all seem to be working nicely...

                        Monty

                        > Just fyi, it looks like the search.htm in the "DQSDTools
                        > Deliverables.zip" has been digested and regurgitated by MSHTML.
                        > Everything seems to work fine, but all the HTML tags are compressed
                        > and there are some extra <META> tags.
                        (...)
                        > I have merged Keon's and Monty's changes with Dave's latest clean
                        > v2.4.5 search.htm. It's posted here...

                        tbrowser_pref.htm
                        > (...)
                        > Cheers,
                        > Glenn

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <

                      • davidbau
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 13, 2001
                          Wow, you all continue to amaze me :-) I love the cool work that's
                          being done.

                          Koen: thanks very much for the code. And thanks Glenn and Monty for
                          putting it through the wringer. (I wonder what's going on with
                          NetCaptor.)

                          --- In dqsdd@y..., "glenncarr" <GlennCarr@e...> wrote:
                          > I also added a preference, useDefaultBrowser, to _not_ use the
                          > default browser.

                          A question - is there a way we can detect when IE _is_ the default
                          browser so that we can automatically set useDefaultBrowser to 'false'
                          without somebody having to tweak preferences.js? The speed of the
                          launch (when it's IE->IE) is a key feature of dqsd, and it'd be a
                          shame if you could only get it if you edited preferences.js.

                          David
                        • rockinfewl
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                            I guess I have to download Netcaptor tonight and, with it, run
                            DQSDTools through the debugger. 'Want to know exactly what happens.
                            Are there any other major browsers worth testing? Older versions?
                            I understand we have to put a line somewhere. E.g we could decide to
                            not consider browsers that are used less than .5% (depending on the
                            stats chosen).

                            If there's no reliable means to detect the default browser from
                            script, I'm willing to add a method to the DQSDTools.Launcher ActiveX.
                            We could then use this method at DQSD startup to determine the
                            default browser; when it's IE we could unload the ActiveX and shift
                            to the normal scripting methods.

                            Koen.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                              Koen,

                              I think adding a method to get the default browser is a good idea. I was
                              looking into just that last night. Have you posted the source for the
                              latest version of DQSDTools?

                              Glenn

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                > Koen,
                                >
                                > I think adding a method to get the default browser is a good idea.
                                I was looking into just that last night. Have you posted the source
                                or the latest version of DQSDTools?

                                > Glenn
                              • rockinfewl
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                  *triggery fingers* sorry for the other premature message chaps *grin*

                                  Anyway, full source for DQSDTools 1.01 has been posted to the Files
                                  section.

                                  I downloaded Netcaptor, and sorry Monty, no IE window appeared. Very
                                  strange indeed. If you or any other coder sees the Netcaptor anomaly,
                                  please download the DQSDTools project and check the return value of
                                  the ::ShellExecute API (at the very bottom of the SubmitForm method).
                                  Possibly the error gets initiated there.

                                  No doubt Glenn wants to add the default-browser-detecting method to
                                  the ActiveX. That's okay, but we better look for some source control
                                  or cvs app to avoid simultaneous coding.
                                  I'm used to MS SourceSafe... but don't have experience with the (or
                                  any) Web version.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Koen.

                                  > I think adding a method to get the default browser is a good idea.
                                  I was
                                  > looking into just that last night. Have you posted the source for
                                  the
                                  > latest version of DQSDTools?
                                  >
                                  > Glenn
                                • davidbau
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                    --- In dqsdd@y..., "rockinfewl" <one@w...> wrote:
                                    > the ActiveX. That's okay, but we better look for some source control
                                    > or cvs app to avoid simultaneous coding.

                                    If we can survive for a few days with zip files, I've submitted an
                                    application to SourceForge for a cvs repository for dqsd sources
                                    (should take a few days to process). I've never used SF; we'll see if
                                    that's a workable solution.

                                    David
                                  • Glenn Carr
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                      Koen,

                                      I really don't care who does it. I would just as soon you do it ;)

                                      > No doubt Glenn wants to add the default-browser-detecting method to
                                      > the ActiveX. That's okay, but we better look for some source control
                                      > or cvs app to avoid simultaneous coding.
                                      > I'm used to MS SourceSafe... but don't have experience with the (or
                                      > any) Web version.
                                    • Glenn Carr
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                        I recently set up a project on SourceForge
                                        (http://textpadtagman.sourceforge.net/), and it's not too difficult. (I did
                                        it more as an experiment than anything.)

                                        SF is a very good tool, it's just not too Windows-friendly (it certainly
                                        helps to have Unix and CVS experience, which I did). But, it's certainly
                                        worth a shot. If anything it may attract more interest in DQSD. I be glad
                                        to help anyway I can.

                                        Glenn

                                        David wrote:
                                        > If we can survive for a few days with zip files, I've submitted an
                                        > application to SourceForge for a cvs repository for dqsd sources
                                        > (should take a few days to process). I've never used SF; we'll see if
                                        > that's a workable solution.
                                        >
                                        > David
                                      • Glenn Carr
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                          I'm still not sure how to detect the current browser. If you know, go for
                                          it. I found some info in the newsgroups that this key contained it...

                                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTMLFile\Shell\Open\Command

                                          ...but after making Opera6 my default browser, it still showed IE as the
                                          default.

                                          My hope would be that a method could simply return the current full pathname
                                          of the default browser, then the script could interpret the returned string.

                                        • Monty Scroggins
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                            I have seen something like this too... In doing my testing I had a little
                                            trougle
                                            getting the various browsers to set themselves as the default for all
                                            instances..

                                            For example I can just execute a .html file in a command window and spawn
                                            NetCaptor, but when I spawn the "default" browser from inside a web page
                                            (or DQSD) I get Opera... There are obviously multiple ways in which a
                                            default browser is determined and called... Opera and Netscape is setting a
                                            class in HKCR, while Netcaptor and IE are not... Watch the registry and
                                            set
                                            one of the browsers to default and you will see what I am talking about..

                                            Monty

                                            I'm still not sure how to detect the current browser. If you know, go for
                                            it. I found some info in the newsgroups that this key contained it...

                                            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTMLFile\Shell\Open\Command

                                            ...but after making Opera6 my default browser, it still showed IE as the
                                            default.

                                            My hope would be that a method could simply return the current full
                                            pathname
                                            of the default browser, then the script could interpret the returned
                                            string.

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          • RockinFewl
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                              'Didn't find any clear information on how and what registry keys are vital
                                              in the associated app story. So I decided to let _Windows_ do the puzzling
                                              for
                                              me, and tap a suitable API instead.

                                              'Came across ::FindExecutable, an API that returns the path of the
                                              application associated with a document file.
                                              Upbeat: It's available on anything from Win95 and NT3.51 up
                                              Downbeat: It requires a real file with the desired extension as input.

                                              There is an other API, ::AssocQueryString, that does not require the file on
                                              disk, but it's only available on 98 and 2000, or when IE5 is installed. A
                                              bit a too strict requirement I guess.

                                              So.
                                              Version 1.0.1.2 has now a property 'pathDefaultBrowser'.
                                              As it requires disk access, getting this innocent looking property is more
                                              expensive on the processor than it
                                              appears; better keep that in mind.

                                              Succesfully tested with IE5.5, Opera6, Nav6.2 and Netcaptor6.5
                                              How messed up my file associations may now be *sigh*, the reported
                                              pathDefaultBrowser seemed always in sync with the default browser type.

                                              The updated project, including a compiled copy of the new ActiveX, has been
                                              uploaded to the Files section. The Web installer at the WhirlyWiryWeb will
                                              be updated at some later time.

                                              Koen
                                            • Glenn Carr
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 14, 2001
                                                Koen,

                                                I think using an API is exactly the right thing to do. As far as the
                                                expense of the disk access, this call should only have to be made once, when
                                                search.htm is first rendered.

                                                But, I set my default browser to Opera6 and pathDefaultBrowser still gives
                                                me the IE .exe path. I rebooted just to be safe. I set the browser to the
                                                default by answering the question that Opera presents when it detects that
                                                it isn't the default browser. But, simply typing the name of an HTML file
                                                starts up IE, so it hasn't really set itself as the default browser,
                                                completely.

                                                Anyone else see this?

                                                Anyway, assuming there is something weird on my system, I've uploaded a
                                                version that uses the new pathDefaultBrowser to see if IE is the default, in
                                                which case it doesn't launch an external browser. There's an 'alert' when
                                                the control is first created which shows the pathDefaultBrowser. The file
                                                is search_2.4.5_plus_dqsdtools_defaultbrowser_pref_v2.htm in the files area.

                                                Glenn

                                              • RockinFewl
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 15, 2001
                                                  Same here Glenn: the built-in options of Navigator and Opera to change the
                                                  default browser do not appear to have effect.
                                                  DQSD still opens the initial browser, your alert box reports the initial
                                                  browser, and also double clicking a HTML file opens the initial one.

                                                  The only reliable way I managed to change the default browser is by manually
                                                  modifying the HTM, HTML associations in Explorer's Tools>Folder Options>File
                                                  Types
                                                  The browser selection is then confirmed by DQSD, the alert and a HTML
                                                  double-click.

                                                  Monty mentioned the browser configuration tool at
                                                  http://www.pc-tools.net/files/win32/freeware/stbrws14.exe
                                                  Works okay for IE and Navigator, but apparantly wasn't able to set Opera as
                                                  default. On my system that is.

                                                  Koen

                                                  From: "Glenn Carr" <GlennCarr@...>
                                                  > But, I set my default browser to Opera6 and pathDefaultBrowser still gives
                                                  > me the IE .exe path. I rebooted just to be safe. I set the browser to
                                                  the
                                                  > default by answering the question that Opera presents when it detects that
                                                  > it isn't the default browser. But, simply typing the name of an HTML file
                                                  > starts up IE, so it hasn't really set itself as the default browser,
                                                  > completely.
                                                  >
                                                  > Anyone else see this?
                                                • Monty Scroggins
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 15, 2001
                                                    Its interesting that setting the default browser
                                                    isnt changing the filename extension association
                                                    in the registry for IE based browsers. You would
                                                    think that setting the default browser would change
                                                    the association everywhere...

                                                    Netscape and Opera both change the extension association
                                                    and therefore change the program launched when an html
                                                    file is called from the command line... The extension
                                                    association seems to only get changed if manually set
                                                    in view->filetypes...

                                                    Microsoft claims this:

                                                    >look in the registry under HKCR/.htm. If you do, you'll
                                                    >find something like:
                                                    >
                                                    >HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html="htmlfile"

                                                    >And if you follow this to HKCR/htmlfile, you'll find
                                                    >something like:

                                                    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command]
                                                    >@="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"

                                                    >In this case, MicrosoftR Internet Explorer
                                                    >is the program used to open .htm files.
                                                    >(The -nohome switch tells Internet Explorer not to
                                                    >open your home page.) If the default browser
                                                    >were Netscape, the entry would be something like:

                                                    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command]
                                                    >@="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\NETSCAPE\\netscape.exe\".

                                                    but I think this will only work if the .html key -
                                                    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html] is set to "htmlfile".

                                                    Opera and Netscape are redefining this key to call
                                                    another path -

                                                    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML and
                                                    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MozillaHTML respectively...

                                                    Microsoft's method for determining the default browser
                                                    in VB is to create a dummy .html file and call a function
                                                    to find the executable associated with it.. But again
                                                    this wont work because some browsers arent setting this
                                                    association...

                                                    It seems you would have to check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html
                                                    to see if it is set to "htmlfile", if it is not, you
                                                    could derive the default browser name from value.. If it
                                                    is, check the [HKCR\htmlfile\shell\open\command]
                                                    key to see the executable name associated..

                                                    I determined this in my own testing... I have no experience
                                                    in programming for PC's. If anything is is out of bounds
                                                    here, please disregard the whole thing.... I know not what
                                                    I am doing.... :-)

                                                    Monty