Re: [dpsg-nyc] Re: Agendas

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      > - It was thought that the online discussion would be far richer and
      more

      >comfortable by starting in person since this process is new for most of us.
      >As I understand, the online discussion still to happen.

      Hello Eric,

      I spoke with Alvin, who moderated the meeting last week. He's in favor of
      conducting the study group in person next week. If you all agree to this at
      today's meeting, I'll update the agenda to reflect this. As always, it is
      important that the online agenda reflect what the group is actually studying.

      > "1. Did you have a dialogue on the pattern language? If so, what did
      you
      >learn?"
      > -The first half of the meeting was devoted to introductions and the
      Pattern
      >Language for Study Groups paper
      >(http://www.industriallogic.com/papers/kh.html). I missed most of this due
      >to my lateness. ("Bad Eric! Bad!") The second hour was an overview of how
      >patterns are presented on paper in Design Patterns and off topic discussions
      >on operating systems, editors, C++ and Smalltalk. Next week we will finish
      >discussing the Patterns language paper and start peeking at the Factory
      >Method.
      > I learned a few things, met a few people and got a feel for things.
      For

      >myself, the part I witnessed was a little more lecture-like than
      >discussion-like. I think this will shift as people get to know the process
      >and each other better.

      Yes, we tend to avoid lectures in favor of dialogues. And if someone is
      lecturing too much, please refer them to my Pattern Language for Study Groups,
      particularly the patterns: Motivated Modeator and Prepared Participant.

      regards
      joshua

      Industrial Logic, Inc.
      Joshua Kerievsky, founder