Fwd: File - [DPSG-NYC] Subscription Approval Instructions.txt

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 29 8:01 AM

      Hello Andrew.   I'm now sure how active the group is right now.  I live in California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore.  Sometimes volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of patterns study.   I don't know if anyone is game at this point.

      best
      jk

    • gene_volovich
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
        Hi, Folks,

        I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?

        We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).

        If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!

        Gene

        --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@...> wrote:

        > Hello Andrew. I'm now sure how active the group is right now. I live in
        > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore. Sometimes
        > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
        > patterns study. I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
        >
        > best
        > jk

      • FB`
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
          I'd be interested, albeit on a novice, "Let's run GoF A-Z" kinda level. It may be relevant to loop in with the FlashCodersNY group -- there are a few regs there who I feel would enjoy a more specialized group forum for discussing patterns specifically, as well as others like myself who would benefit from such discussion.

          Fil

          On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM, gene_volovich <gv@...> wrote:
          Hi, Folks,

          I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up.  Not limited to patterns.  Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?

          We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).

          If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list.  Thanks!

          Gene

          --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@...> wrote:

          > Hello Andrew.   I'm now sure how active the group is right now.  I live in
          > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore.  Sometimes
          > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
          > patterns study.   I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
          >
          > best
          > jk

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             dpsg-nyc-digest@yahoogroups.com
             dpsg-nyc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --

          FB`
        • Lenny Primak
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
            I'd be up for that. I'd like to repeat it as in he hey days, the soho on monday
            nights whoop whoop!

            On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:29 PM, gene_volovich wrote:

            > Hi, Folks,
            >
            > I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
            >
            > We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
            >
            > If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!
            >
            > Gene
            >
            > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello Andrew. I'm now sure how active the group is right now. I live in
            >> California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore. Sometimes
            >> volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
            >> patterns study. I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
            >>
            >> best
            >> jk

          • markrim
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
              I don't think the place we used to borrow, Space Untitled, is still around anymore.

              But I'm game for a little revival.

              --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Primak <lprimak@...> wrote:

              > I'd be up for that. I'd like to repeat it as in he hey days, the soho on monday
              > nights whoop whoop!
              >
              > On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:29 PM, gene_volovich wrote:
              >
              > > Hi, Folks,
              > >
              > > I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
              > >
              > > We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
              > >
              > > If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!
              > >
              > > Gene
              > >
              > > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Hello Andrew. I'm now sure how active the group is right now. I live in
              > >> California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore. Sometimes
              > >> volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
              > >> patterns study. I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
              > >>
              > >> best
              > >> jk

            • Gene Volovich
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
                Monday nights are good for me - any ideas for a venue? Here's the BDD
                book I wanted to look at:

                http://www.pragprog.com/titles/achbd/the-rspec-book

                I've tried RSpec although I haven't done Ruby professionally so I
                haven't had a lot of real-world experience with it. It would be great
                if someone out there has done it and has real-world experience, and
                can come talk about it.

                Gene

                On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM, markrim <choy.rim@...> wrote:

                > I don't think the place we used to borrow, Space Untitled, is still around anymore.
                >
                > But I'm game for a little revival.
                >

                > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Primak <lprimak@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I'd be up for that.  I'd like to repeat it as in he hey days, the soho on monday
                >> nights whoop whoop!
                >>
                >> On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:29 PM, gene_volovich wrote:
                >>
                >> > Hi, Folks,
                >> >
                >> > I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up.  Not limited to patterns.  Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                >> >
                >> > We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                >> >
                >> > If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list.  Thanks!
                >> >
                >> > Gene

              • Gene Volovich
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
                  I'd like to start on Monday January 11th (to give everyone time to get the book and read a couple of chapters).  Are you up for it?  Someone else emailed me recently and he's interested in coming, so with him, me, Lenny and Mark that makes 4.  Any other takers?  There was also the suggestion to do Evans' DDD again.  I'd be willing to do that also, if people prefer.  I still don't have any ideas about venues.  Lenny?  You're downtown, do you know good places?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
                    My suggestion would be whole foods cafe on houston & chrisie st.

                    On Dec 23, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Gene Volovich wrote:

                    > I'd like to start on Monday January 11th (to give everyone time to get the book and read a couple of chapters). Are you up for it? Someone else emailed me recently and he's interested in coming, so with him, me, Lenny and Mark that makes 4. Any other takers? There was also the suggestion to do Evans' DDD again. I'd be willing to do that also, if people prefer. I still don't have any ideas about venues. Lenny? You're downtown, do you know good places?
                  • chukwuemeka
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 23, 2009
                      --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "gene_volovich" <gv@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Folks,
                      >
                      > I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                      >
                      > We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                      >
                      > If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!
                      >
                      > Gene
                      man watz up,i dont really get d message.are u lookin 4 one to run d group or wat

                      > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello Andrew. I'm now sure how active the group is right now. I live in
                      > > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore. Sometimes
                      > > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
                      > > patterns study. I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
                      > >
                      > > best
                      > > jk

                    • jasonpunzalan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 23, 2009
                        Hey Gene,

                        I'd like to join this group. Any meeting day is fine.

                        Thanks,

                        Jason

                        --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "gene_volovich" <gv@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Folks,
                        >
                        > I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                        >
                        > We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                        >
                        > If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!
                        >
                        > Gene
                        >
                        > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Andrew. I'm now sure how active the group is right now. I live in
                        > > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore. Sometimes
                        > > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
                        > > patterns study. I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
                        > >
                        > > best
                        > > jk

                      • Gene Volovich
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 23, 2009
                          Let's do it Monday January 11th for our first meeting.   I'd like to take a vote, on whether people want to do:

                          1). The RSpec Book
                          2). Domain Driven Design
                          3). Something else

                          Please reply on the list.  I vote (1).   On the venue, to me WF seems a bit loud, but I haven't been to that particular one.  I'd propose the old location, IBM Building at 56th and Madison (+1 vote for that).  There is a starbucks inside the building up the stairs, for the coffee-challenged.  Please vote on this:

                          1). Whole Foods at Houston & Christie
                          2). IBM Building atrium, 56th St & Madison

                          Thanks,
                          Gene

                          On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM, jasonpunzalan <jasonpunzalan@...> wrote:
                          > Hey Gene,
                          >
                          > I'd like to join this group. Any meeting day is fine.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Jason
                          >
                          > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "gene_volovich" <gv@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hi, Folks,
                          >>
                          >> I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up.  Not limited to patterns.  Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                          >>
                          >> We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                          >>
                          >> If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list.  Thanks!
                          >>
                          >> Gene
                          >>
                          >> --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > Hello Andrew.   I'm now sure how active the group is right now.  I live in
                          >> > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore.  Sometimes
                          >> > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
                          >> > patterns study.   I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
                          >> >
                          >> > best
                          >> > jk

                          > <*> Your email settings:
                          >    Individual Email | Traditional
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings online go to:
                          >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings via email:
                          >    dpsg-nyc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          >    dpsg-nyc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • cfbenham
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 23, 2009
                            RSpec +1
                            IBM +1

                            Eleventh of January +1

                            --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, Gene Volovich <gv@...> wrote:

                            > Let's do it Monday January 11th for our first meeting. I'd like to take a
                            > vote, on whether people want to do:
                            >
                            > 1). The RSpec Book<http://www.amazon.com/RSpec-Book-Behaviour-Development-Cucumber/dp/1934356379>
                            > 2). Domain Driven
                            > Design<http://www.amazon.com/Domain-Driven-Design-Tackling-Complexity-Software/dp/0321125215>
                            > 3). Something else
                            >
                            > Please reply on the list. I vote (1). On the venue, to me WF seems a bit
                            > loud, but I haven't been to that particular one. I'd propose the old
                            > location, IBM Building at 56th and Madison (+1 vote for that). There is a
                            > starbucks inside the building up the stairs, for the coffee-challenged.
                            > Please vote on this:
                            >
                            > 1). Whole Foods at Houston & Christie
                            > 2). IBM Building atrium, 56th St & Madison
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Gene
                            >
                            > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM, jasonpunzalan <jasonpunzalan@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Hey Gene,
                            > >
                            > > I'd like to join this group. Any meeting day is fine.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > >
                            > > Jason
                            > >
                            > > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "gene_volovich" <gv@> wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> Hi, Folks,
                            > >>
                            > >> I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some
                            > interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other
                            > topic that anyone might want to pick up. Not limited to patterns. Is
                            > anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                            > >>
                            > >> We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either
                            > downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                            > >>
                            > >> If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list. Thanks!
                            > >>
                            > >> Gene

                            > in

                          • Lenny Primak
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 23, 2009
                              RSpec book +1 (already did DDD in patterns long ago)
                              Whole foods +1

                              On Dec 23, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Gene Volovich wrote:

                              Let's do it Monday January 11th for our first meeting.   I'd like to take a vote, on whether people want to do:

                              1). The RSpec Book
                              2). Domain Driven Design
                              3). Something else

                              Please reply on the list.  I vote (1).   On the venue, to me WF seems a bit loud, but I haven't been to that particular one.  I'd propose the old location, IBM Building at 56th and Madison (+1 vote for that).  There is a starbucks inside the building up the stairs, for the coffee-challenged.  Please vote on this:

                              1). Whole Foods at Houston & Christie
                              2). IBM Building atrium, 56th St & Madison

                              Thanks,
                              Gene

                              On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM, jasonpunzalan <jasonpunzalan@...> wrote:
                              > Hey Gene,
                              >
                              > I'd like to join this group. Any meeting day is fine.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Jason
                              >
                              > --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "gene_volovich" <gv@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Hi, Folks,
                              >>
                              >> I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development), plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up.  Not limited to patterns.  Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?
                              >>
                              >> We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm, either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).
                              >>
                              >> If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list.  Thanks!
                              >>
                              >> Gene
                              >>
                              >> --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:
                              >> >
                              >> > Hello Andrew.   I'm now sure how active the group is right now.  I live in
                              >> > California, so I'm not actively running this group anymore.  Sometimes
                              >> > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence of
                              >> > patterns study.   I don't know if anyone is game at this point.
                              >> >
                              >> > best
                              >> > jk

                              > <*> Your email settings:
                              >    Individual Email | Traditional
                              >
                              > <*> To change settings online go to:
                              >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                              >
                              > <*> To change settings via email:
                              >    dpsg-nyc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              >    dpsg-nyc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Rim, Choy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010

                                Jan 11 sounds good.

                                My votes:

                                * RSpec book – even though ruby is so last year ;-)

                                * IBM Building

                                There’s a DDD group in the city now so doing DDD book over again seems extra redundant.

                                Choy Rim
                                Consultant | IDEAS Practice Areas
                                750 Seventh Avenue, 7th Floor | New York , NY    10019

                                "gene_volovich" <gv@...> wrote:

                                >> Hi, Folks,
                                >>
                                >> I'm back in NYC now, I'm thinking of re-starting the group, I have
                                some interest in looking at BDD (behaviour-driven development) , plus any other topic that anyone might want to pick up.  Not limited to patterns.  Is anyone still interested in restarting the DPSG-NYC group?

                                >> We've met on Wednesday nights or previously Monday nights, at 7pm,
                                either downtown in Soho, or in Midtown (in the IBM building on Madison & 56th).

                                >> If anyone wants to do it, please email me or post to the list.
                                 Thanks!

                                >> Gene
                                >>
                                >> --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroup s.com,
                                "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@> wrote:

                                >> > Hello Andrew.   I'm now sure how active the group is right
                                now.  I live in
                                >> > California ,
                                so I'm not actively running this group anymore.  Sometimes
                                >> > volunteers decide to re-start the group and go through a sequence
                                of
                                >> > patterns study.   I don't know if anyone is game at this
                                point.

                                >> > best
                                >> > jk

                                > <*> Your email settings:
                                >    Individual Email | Traditional
                                >
                                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                                >    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/dpsg- nyc/join
                                >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                                >
                                > <*> To change settings via email:
                                >    dpsg-nyc-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                                >    dpsg-nyc-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com

                                >    http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                                NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error. We may monitor and store emails to the extent permitted by applicable law.

                              • Gene Volovich
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                                  I've got almost all votes for RSpec, and most for the IBM building, so let's meet at 7pm on January 11th (a week from today) for our 3rd restart and the 3rd decade of the patterns group (90s, '00s, '10s).

                                  Please everyone get the EBook or PDF version of the RSpec book and print out the relevant chapters.  It is not yet available in hard-copy form.  Here is a link to get it:

                                  The ebook costs $24, and it is upgradeable to the full release after you buy the beta version.  For this first meeting, it would be great if everyone installed the necessary tools on their laptop of choice and went through chapter 1 (introduction), chapter 2 (hello world), and chapter 3, the first real use of cucumber.

                                  Thanks, and see you all then.

                                  Gene