How Creational design patterns help make a system independent of how its objects are and represented?

  • sky eagle
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006
      Hi all,
      In the gof's book, in the first paragraph of the 3rd chapter, it's said "Creational design patterns abstract the instantiation process. They help make a system independent of how its objects are created, composed, and represented. "

      My question is how they (or one of the creational design patterns) help a system independent of how it's objects represented?

      --
      eagle in the sky
    • Lenny Primak
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006
        Let's say you have code like this:

        List<Number> numbers = numbersFactory.createNumbers(5, 10); //
        create five numbers with values of 10

        What the factory method gives you can be represented in any number of
        ways:
        - it can give you LinkedList<Number> or ArrayList<Number>
        - it can give you List<IntegerNumber> or List<DoubleNumber>
        - or any other combination.

        This is the power of creational patterns, it just give you back
        the interface but the implementation and actual data representation
        is irrelevant and can be hidden from the programmer.

        Hope this helped

        On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:55 AM, sky eagle wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > In the gof's book, in the first paragraph of the 3rd chapter, it's
        > said "Creational design patterns abstract the instantiation
        > process. They help make a system independent of how its objects are
        > created, composed, and represented. "
        >
        > My question is how they (or one of the creational design patterns)
        > help a system independent of how it's objects represented?
        >
        > --
      • sky eagle
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006
          Thank you so much for your answers.
          I think I should have highlighted the word "represented" in the question. Let me do it!
          My question is how they (or one of the creational design patterns) help a system independent of how it's objects represented?
          I know that they help make a system independent of how its objects are created and composed (but not represented).
          And the second question is which pattern is for each of them: creating, composing, and representing (I hope they are noun words:)?
          Factory method & abstract Factory & Singleton & Template for creating.
          Builder for composing

          2006/12/2, sky eagle <eagle.xiao@...>:
          Hi all,
          In the gof's book, in the first paragraph of the 3rd chapter, it's said "Creational design patterns abstract the instantiation process. They help make a system independent of how its objects are created, composed, and represented. "

          My question is how they (or one of the creational design patterns) help a system independent of how it's objects represented?

          --
          eagle in the sky

          --
          eagle in the sky
        • Edward Muesch
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006
            Well, in the next sentence they mention the distinction between class and object creational patterns;

                "A class creational pattern uses inheritance to vary the class that's instantiated, whereas an object creational pattern will delegate instantiation to another object.",

            I think the latter speaks to how the objects, as "represented", can vary (i.e. abstract) within an instantiation of the creational pattern since it can pretty much instantiate anything (provided what it 'creates' is compatible with it's intended use).

            The next paragraph also goes on to speak about how as systems become more complex they begin to rely on smaller abstracted "fundamental" behaviors (easily re-composed across different objects into more complex ones) rather than a fixed-set of behaviors.

            An example might be in Windows; the difference between a bunch of different printer drivers for standard printers and printing to a fax.  The different drivers for a standard printer could be instantiated with a class factory but the Fax printing capability is most probably a completely different set of objects than a standard printer driver would create when time to print.  This might call for an object creational factory to keep the objects, as "represented", abstracted from the printing API and without either the caller or each other having to know about specific implementation/capabilities or even what type of objects they are.  You may even see some type of bridge pattern used to communicate with the resulting objects in a heavily abstracted implementation.

            Hope this helps :-)

            -Ed M.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
                I was going to ask the same thing until I realized I would be basically asking him to clarify GoF.  I think it might also be implied that that is already a part of *his* question, so, I think maybe he beats us to it :-)

                I am sure others will have a (, at least slightly,) different/less-ambiguous view but here goes for me;

                    Created:
                    The mechanics of instantiating the objects and their dependencies.

                    Composed:
                    The resulting organizational makeup (e.g. hierarchy) of the object structure and it's dependencies.

                    Represented:
                    The resulting types of objects used in the resulting composition.

                I'd certainly be interested to hear other opinions as well. :-)

                -Ed M.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                      > Another definition
                      of "represented" could be #3 of represent from dictionary.com and that is the notion of a proxy.

                      The "proxy" part was purely accidental but I like it :-)

                      I just re-read that pattern and it occurs to me that an application frameworks, whose boundaries (from a usage standpoint) are at it's application layer (API), can be represented (from that point inwards) by anything that the framework uses to instantiate the objects it needs.  They even change dynamically at runtime with the direct use of proxies and delegation.

                      -Ed M.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Sorry, should have read

                        "...anything that the framework results in *after* instantiating the objects it needs..."

                        -Ed M.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                          (sorry guys, I'll proof-read better from here forweard, phonest)

                          delete
                          The "proxy" part was purely accidental but I like it :-)

                          insert
                          I like the "proxy" part.

                          -Ed M.