Re: [dpsg-nyc] Info required

  • Jean-Charles Carelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      I have found that the refactoring books help put the pattern books in
      context.

      Refactoring [Fowler]
      Refactoring to Patterns [Kerievsky]

      The Head First Book is quite good as well. My formula has been to
      combine Head First + Refactoring + GoF.....

      J-C

      On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Sathyanarayanan Srinivasan wrote:

      > The new Head First - Design Patterns seems to be quite popular.
      >
      > Sathya.

    • Damon Carr
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2005
        Yamit,

        What language do you mostly implement in?

        There are many free resources on the web for design patterns. See:

        A fantastic encyclopedia of the Gof patterns:
        http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx

        A Java centric implementation oriented site:
        http://www.fluffycat.com/java/patterns.html

        As to the Design Patterns book I can highly recommend the CD instead of (or
        in addition to) the book.

        Design Patterns CD
        by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides
        CD-ROM
        Publisher: Addison Wesley Longman; CD-Rom edition (June 15, 1997)
        ISBN: 0201634988
        Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 7.6 x 0.8 inches

        This allows you great power in searching the material. I believe the
        strongest way to master patterns includes the 'Refactoring to Patterns'
        (another book not to be missed) and the combination of patterns in
        solutions. So you are not just using the Mediator, you are using the
        mediator with the chain of responsibility, with the façade. I look at
        patterns learning as a two dimension strategy for beginners:

        1) The 'conceptual' understand of the pattern
        2) The 'Refactoring' of existing code into the pattern

        Of course the coding and implementation is assumed as well. However by
        reading 'Refactoring to Patterns' while also reading the original GoF book
        (or others that are specific to your language) I have found in my teaching
        of patterns that this approach works better (in my experience) then
        'Conceptual' only. It seems the process of refactoring in the teaching
        process creates far greater success when added to a curriculum.

        Hope this helps. I also highly recommend the Safari service. It has
        fundamentally changed the way I work by allowing me to search and download
        chapters from thousands of computer books. So when I encounter a new area I
        need to learn, or an old area I need a refresher on, I can do this in
        real-time online without having to purchase an entire book which is overkill
        for my needs most of the time. You can learn more here:

        http://safari.bvdep.com

        You can get a free trial through a number of channels like MSDN, O'Reilly
        and others.

        Kind Regards,

        Damon Carr

        Well, the first thing to do i guess to get the Design Patterns book, maybe
        accompanied by the Smalltalk Companion, by Erich Gamma, et. al.

        On Jan 31, 2005, at 10:23 PM, Yamit Mehta wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am new to the group. I had been searching for some material on
        > Patterns.
        > Since, I am novice I request you to extend some material regarding
        > patterns.
        >

        > Thanking you,
        > Yamit Mehta

        > *
        > *
        > ************
        >
        > This email message is for the sole use of the intended
        > recipient(s)and may contain CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED information.
        > LG Soft India will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or
        > any forwarded attachments emanating either from within LG Soft India
        > or outside. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
        > is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
        > the sender By reply email and destroy all copies of the original
        > message.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Service.

        Lenny Primak