RE: [dpsg-nyc] 4G group Proxy

  • Koryakovtseva, Irina
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 1, 2003
      Good morning,
      I got your mail yesterday all right, thank you.
      Please add myself to your contacts. irinarips@...
      Regards
      Irina

      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 7, 2003
        Today is the Adapter pattern.

        Location: the atrium at the IBM building in
        Midtown
        (590 Madison Ave at E 57th Str.
        South)
        starts at 7 PM

        the schedule is temporary on
        http://home.nyc.rr.com/olegs/patterns/dpsg/nyc_4g.htm

        oleg

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • oleg shteynbuk
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 14, 2003
          Today is the Bridge pattern.

          Location: the atrium at the IBM building in
          Midtown
          (590 Madison Ave at E 57th Str.
          South)
          starts at 7 PM

          the schedule now is on official patterns site

          http://industriallogic.com/patterns/ili_nyc_4g.html

          due to a popular demand the Decorator will be after
          the Bridge

          oleg

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • oleg shteynbuk
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 21, 2003
            Today is the Decoratorpattern.

            Location: the atrium at the IBM building in
            Midtown
            (590 Madison Ave at E 57th Str.
            South)
            starts at 7 PM

            the schedule is on

            http://industriallogic.com/patterns/ili_nyc_4g.html

            12 more meeting added

            oleg

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Murthy Pothuraju
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 21, 2003
              Hi,
              I am Murthy Pothuraju, working for Boston based Boston Communications Group. I saw some the group's summaries on the Design patterns, which are excellent. Could you please post the summary of the every meeting so that people like me who can not attend the meeting physically will benefit out of it?
              Thank you in advance for consideration. I very much appreciate the group for coming up with these fruitful discussions.

              Regards,
              Murthy Pothuraju

              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 22, 2003
                Last meeting on the Decorator had very interesting
                discussions; we had new members.
                below is my recollections:
                1. Decorator and Proxy; did not come to an agreement.
                some of us thought that Decorator could be nested,
                used recursively and Proxy usually not, Proxy is
                usually one time shot; and of course intent is
                different.
                2. second bullet in Applicability "for
                responsibilities that can be withdrawn." this sentence
                was not clear to us. Once decorating sequence is built
                it is not easy to change it, at least in traditional
                decorator usage. there was a discussion on this some
                time ago
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dpsg-nyc/messagesearch?query=Removing%20some%20inner%20skins%20from%20the%20Decorator
                3. if Concrete Decorator has additional methods and
                client wish to use them would it be still the
                Decorator pattern. We were split on this, quite of few
                of us thought that transparency is the key to the
                pattern and client should use Component interface and
                if client downcast Component to Concrete Decorator and
                use additional functionality than this client is not
                participating in the Decorator pattern.

                oleg

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050443

                52:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3050

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupmai
                > l/S=:HM/A=1663535/rand=591624454>

                > Terms of

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • oleg shteynbuk
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 22, 2003
                  in addition to my previous message.

                  4. we also discussed what happens if the order of
                  decorators is changed, after all decorators can be
                  used in any order, good example was a stream with
                  compressing decorator and encrypting decorator, if you
                  compress after encryption then compression will be
                  pretty much useless, explained by Daniel and Shafik,
                  it should be the other way round, order matters.

                  5. we could not find any good examples of the
                  Decorator pattern other than mentioned in GoF stream
                  and GUI examples, any suggestions?

                  oleg

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • Michael J. Lee
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 23, 2003
                    I was think that I can use to dynamically add reponsibilities / rules for validator.

                    For example, I maybe able to use the decorator to add additional rules for checking the
                    trade records that we receive from the clients.

                    For example, for client XYZ trade records, you want to check for TradeDate, SettleDate in
                    addition to normal checks.

                    i.e.

                    Validator validator = new TradeDateValidator( new SettleDateValidator( new
                    NormalValidator() ) );

                    TradeErrors errors = validator.check( tradeRecords );

                    if ( ! errors.isEmpty() ) {
                    // Handle Error
                    }

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Paul Asarak
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 24, 2003
                      Michael,

                      I think this is a great idea. I generally like the
                      idea of rules as business objects. Of course, the set
                      of rules could become too numerous so I recommend
                      implementing them as inner classes.

                      Have you considered using a configuration file to
                      associate a set of rules with classes/methods so the
                      validation step could be dynamically reconfigured?

                      While Java doesn't support attribute-based
                      programming, a language such as C# certainly does.
                      For example, I could associate attributes with a
                      method or a class that internally resolve to segments
                      of the configuration setting, e.g., BondTrade or
                      InterestSwapTrade, etc. With the right framework,
                      this will help lower maintenance cost.

                      Cheers,
                      Paul

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • oleg shteynbuk
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 24, 2003
                        Paul,

                        inner classes definitely could be used but they
                        introduce coupling.
                        On the Industrial Logic website
                        http://www.industriallogic.com/patterns/examples/decorator.html
                        at the end there is Ralph Johnson commentary that
                        Decorator can often be transformed into Strategy, and
                        Composite pattern could be used if there is more than
                        one rule. Rules acts more like a Strategy and they
                        need access to Context too; and your suggestion to use
                        configuration file fits very nicely, and we have more
                        like AOP interceptors and some processing or weaving
                        is needed before we can use it. Decorator easier to
                        use and implement than Interceptors and if sequence of
                        rules is pretty stable Decorator probably better, OTOH
                        if sequence is changing often and you don't want to
                        modify code than Interceptors looks like a better
                        choice.

                        for now Java don't have attributes but in 1.5 there
                        will be Metadata support.

                        oleg

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Georgescu, Cristian [IT]
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 25, 2003
                          Decorator replacing Multiple Inheritance

                          Decorator is often used to replace Multiple Inheritance. In fact in languages that do not have multiple inheritance, the decorator pattern *must* be used to simulate multiple inheritance.

                          For instance: in C++ a TemporarySecretary class inherits from both Secretary and Temporary concrete classes (all implementing the Employee interface). Not possible in Java! Therefore, in Java we would say something like this:

                          Employee aTemporarySecretary = new Temporary(new Secretary("Maggie Gyllenhaal"));

                          Cristian Georgescu
                          Salomon Smith Barney
                          Private Client Infrastructure
                          Phone: 212-723-2055
                          Cristian.Georgescu@...

                          Last meeting on the Decorator had very interesting
                          discussions; we had new members.
                          below is my recollections:
                          1. Decorator and Proxy; did not come to an agreement.
                          some of us thought that Decorator could be nested,
                          used recursively and Proxy usually not, Proxy is
                          usually one time shot; and of course intent is
                          different.
                          2. second bullet in Applicability "for
                          responsibilities that can be withdrawn." this sentence
                          was not clear to us. Once decorating sequence is built
                          it is not easy to change it, at least in traditional
                          decorator usage. there was a discussion on this some
                          time ago
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dpsg-nyc/messagesearch?query=Removing%20some%20inner%20skins%20from%20the%20Decorator
                          3. if Concrete Decorator has additional methods and
                          client wish to use them would it be still the
                          Decorator pattern. We were split on this, quite of few
                          of us thought that transparency is the key to the
                          pattern and client should use Component interface and
                          if client downcast Component to Concrete Decorator and
                          use additional functionality than this client is not
                          participating in the Decorator pattern.

                          oleg

                          --- Murthy Pothuraju <MPothuraju@...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          > I am Murthy Pothuraju, working for Boston based
                          > Boston Communications Group.
                          > I saw some the group's summaries on the Design
                          > patterns, which are
                          > excellent. Could you please post the summary of the
                          > every meeting so that
                          > people like me who can not attend the meeting
                          > physically will benefit out of
                          > it?
                          > Thank you in advance for consideration. I very much
                          > appreciate the group for
                          > coming up with these fruitful discussions.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Murthy Pothuraju

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • oleg shteynbuk
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 25, 2003
                            it probably could be generalized to any delegation,
                            GoF has a good chapter on replacing inheritance with
                            delegation.

                            oleg

                            --- "Georgescu, Cristian [IT]"

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com