Re: [dpsg-nyc] Hi, I have just joined the group.

  • Clement LI
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003

      Shall we confirm the place and time for the meeting tomorrow?

      Clement

       Paul Asarak <asarakp@...> wrote:

      I found a public space for our meeting.  It's the
      attrium at the IBM buiding in Midtown. The attrium is
      open to the public from 8AM to 10PM and has tables and
      chairs.  The address is 590 Madison Ave at E 57th St.
      I stopped by this afternoon and it's well used by the
      public and a great space.

      I don't think there'll be many people after 7PM so no
      one will need to show up early to get a table.

      http://www.industriallogic.com/patterns/ili_nyc_gof.html

      >       I checked out a place w/ another member of the
      > group and it did
      > not seem to be that great at all. So unless some
      > comes up w/ a great new
      > place to meet this week then B&N and Union Square it
      > is.
      >
      >       The big problem is I need someone else besides me
      > to show up
      > before 7pm to help get a table at the 3rd floor
      > cafe.
      >
      > Take care
      >
      > - --
      > PGP Key: http://www.shafik.net/~shafik/pubkey.html
      >
      > Join the fight against terrorism by giving up your
      > liberties today!
      >
      > Find out why the United States jailed a Russian
      > citizen over a lecture:
      > http://www.anti-dmca.org/
      >
      > While we are asleep in this world, we are awake in
      > another one.
      > - -Salvador Dali

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Shafik Yaghmour

        I have not had a chance to check the place out and no one really
        commented on it so we should meet at B&N as normal and discuss it then. I
        will post the result of the discusion later on that evening or the day
        after.

        BTW, as a reminder tommorows topic is:

        On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Clement LI wrote:

        > Shall we confirm the place and time for the meeting tomorrow?
        > Clement

        - --
        PGP Key: http://www.shafik.net/~shafik/pubkey.html

        Join the fight against terrorism by giving up your liberties today!

        Find out why the United States jailed a Russian citizen over a lecture:
        http://www.anti-dmca.org/

        While we are asleep in this world, we are awake in another one.
        - -Salvador Dali

      • Shafik Yaghmour

          The POSA I session will be wrapping up in a few weeks time, I
          wanted to get people thinking about where they want to go from there.

          I know before I started moderating the POSA I group there had been
          mention of going on to PLOP III, I also suppose POSA II would be
          alternative as well. I am open to either one or other alternatives as
          well.

          It would probably be best to respond to me directly and when I get
          enough feedback I can post the results or lack thereof.

          I know Joshua had also mentioned recently that people where
          interested in starting another 4G group which would be fun. I do not know
          if he has received enough feedback though. Joshua, what is up w/ that?

          Take care

          - --
          PGP Key: http://www.shafik.net/~shafik/pubkey.html

          Join the fight against terrorism by giving up your liberties today!

          Find out why the United States jailed a Russian citizen over a lecture:
          http://www.anti-dmca.org/

          While we are asleep in this world, we are awake in another one.
          - -Salvador Dali

        • henryk mozman

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Joshua Kerievsky
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2003
              Shafik,

              We are committed to getting the dpsg site updated this week. We will be
              writing some scripts to let moderators easily update the agendas. Would
              you like to update a particular agenda?

              regards
              jk
            • Marc Limotte
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 10, 2003
                I haven't been very involved lately, but for what my vote is worth, I'd like to see PLOP III next.

                  Some people had questions about the content of PLOP III and POSA
                  II, here are there listings, you can pull up their table of contents if
                  you look at the right hand side at "Preview What's Inside" section.

                  Check them out and see what seems more interesting and then let me
                  know. I am agnostic, I think both are worth doing so whatever the majority
                  is interested in I am happy w/:

                  PLOP III:

                  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6PVOT68MYV&isbn=0201310112&TXT=Y&itm=3

                  POSA II:

                  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6PVOT68MYV&isbn=0471606952&TXT=Y&itm=4

                  - --

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 11, 2003
                      Hi Guys,

                      I'm Terry but my Korean name is displayed in the email address.

                      Recently, Martin Fowler published design pattern book, "Patterns of
                      Enterprise Application Architecture". Guess, some of you guys might
                      know this book already. But I looked at and thought it has a lot of
                      useful patterns that you can use for your enterprise applications
                      immediately.
                      And it's new so, diagrams in this book is pretty up to date with UML
                      standard and examples are in Java and C# but not both. There're
                      about 51 patterns.

                      You can look at the TOC by clicking this link,
                      http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?
                      userid=1AR5EZQ7DQ&ean=9780321127426&displayonly=TOC#TOC

                      POSA II or PLOP III is fine for me but what do you think about this
                      book, guys?

                      Regards,

                      Terry
                    • Gene Volovich
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 11, 2003
                        The page http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog has a catalog of these
                        patterns. They're interesting, I agree - I'm particularly interested
                        in the object-relational database mapping ones.

                        - Gene

                        On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 01:32 PM, Changsu Go wrote:

                        > Hi Guys,
                        >
                        > I'm Terry but my Korean name is displayed in the email address.
                        >
                        > Recently, Martin Fowler published design pattern book, "Patterns of
                        > Enterprise Application Architecture". Guess, some of you guys might
                        > know this book already. But I looked at and thought it has a lot of
                        > useful patterns that you can use for your enterprise applications
                        > immediately.
                        > And it's new so, diagrams in this book is pretty up to date with UML
                        > standard and examples are in Java and C# but not both. There're
                        > about 51 patterns.
                        >
                        > You can look at the TOC by clicking this link,
                        > http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?
                        > userid=1AR5EZQ7DQ&ean=9780321127426&displayonly=TOC#TOC
                        >
                        > POSA II or PLOP III is fine for me but what do you think about this
                        > book, guys?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Terry

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Michael J. Lee
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 11, 2003
                          If you are interested in OO-DB mapping, you might want to read a paper by Scott Ambler.

                          http://www.ambysoft.com/mappingObjects.html

                          Personally, I've been searching for a suitable OO-DB mapping framework. In Java world,
                          there are three open-source frameworks.

                          1. hibernate
                          2. castor
                          3. Jakarta OJB [ apache ]

                          I dabbeled with hibernate and castor but never used in the production environment.

                          Take a look at how they implemented it.

                          mj lee

                          --- Gene Volovich <gene@...> wrote:
                          > The page http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog has a catalog of these
                          > patterns. They're interesting, I agree - I'm particularly interested
                          > in the object-relational database mapping ones.
                          >
                          > - Gene
                          >
                          > On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 01:32 PM, Changsu Go wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi Guys,
                          > >
                          > > I'm Terry but my Korean name is displayed in the email address.
                          > >
                          > > Recently, Martin Fowler published design pattern book, "Patterns of
                          > > Enterprise Application Architecture". Guess, some of you guys might
                          > > know this book already. But I looked at and thought it has a lot of
                          > > useful patterns that you can use for your enterprise applications
                          > > immediately.
                          > > And it's new so, diagrams in this book is pretty up to date with UML
                          > > standard and examples are in Java and C# but not both. There're
                          > > about 51 patterns.
                          > >
                          > > You can look at the TOC by clicking this link,
                          > > http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?
                          > > userid=1AR5EZQ7DQ&ean=9780321127426&displayonly=TOC#TOC
                          > >
                          > > POSA II or PLOP III is fine for me but what do you think about this
                          > > book, guys?
                          > >
                          > > Regards,
                          > >
                          > > Terry

                          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                        • Changsu Go
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 11, 2003
                            I personaly tried to make Object-Relational Mapping framework
                            in .NET world using Reflection, Attributes after reading that
                            pattern in this book.
                            This book and other design patterns are quite helpfull to implement
                            that.
                            Although I think it is great framework, it is not used by current
                            project by the team due to the fact that it is new for them :)
                            Anyway, good to see you guys with same idea!

                            Terry

                            --- In dpsg-nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J. Lee"