Re: [dpjudge] New Press Variant?

  • Manus Hand
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 27, 2009
      Wow. I like the idea of modifying it so that it is dependent on what
      has just happened in the previous turn, not the current game position.
      Unfortunately, that is exponentially harder to code, and I have
      always taken the approach that what is allowable can always be
      determined solely by current board position -- not only for
      ease-of-coding, but also it just makes more sense to me as a rule.
      There's really no easy way (as written) for the DPjudge to be able to
      look at the prior turn and determine who attacked who, where, etc.
      All of that, to the DPjudge, is just a text file now, results written
      and mailed and forgotten and now we just have the current position
      really "known" in any specific "way" to the code of the DPjudge.

      Which is kind of a "darn it" because your modification does seem to
      make a lot of sense. Italy and Austria could talk til the cows come
      home until one of them crosses up the other, etc.

      Hmm....

      On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Sloth <sloth.dc@...> wrote:
      > I strangely like it. Notes below.
      >
      > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Manus Hand <manus@...> wrote:
      >> RULE HAMMER_PRESS -- players may not communicate with one another
      >> whenever they have adjacent units, or when either player has a unit
      >> adjacent to a supply center owned by the other.
      >
      > One alternative I would propose: Player may not communicate with each
      > other if, in the last move turn, they had units ordered to the same
      > space and/or one moved into the other's supply center. So...everyone
      > would be able to negotiate from the start, but if, for example, the
      > Russians and Turks bounce over the Black Sea, they won't be able to
      > renegotiate on that for the Fall move.
      >
      >> I think it might strengthen alliances like England-Turkey v. Russia,
      >> Russia-France v. Germany, etc. Or it might lead to a lot of "hey, can
      >> you tell Austria this for me?" and thus a lot of "hey, Turkey told me
      >> to tell you this" lies.
      >
      > All to the good.
      >
      >> "...seems like one of those arbitrary silly-rules that has no POSSIBLE
      >> interpretation in terms of the real-life situation. If anything, it
      >> should be easier to communicate when you're close. But given the
      >> six-month game turns, a government would have to be SUPERNATURALLY
      >> ineffective to be unable to get messages around."
      >>
      >> I responded saying that it is realistic in an unrealistic way: "We
      >> will break off all diplomatic relations with you if you are ever in
      >> any position that could threaten or endanger our troops or cities."
      >
      > Actually, it has a certain effing brilliancy about it - much of the
      > history of warfare revolves around how difficult it is for two warring
      > countries to *effectively* negotiate an abatement of hostilities. cf
      > for example the efforts by the Japanese to negotiate a surrender to us
      > in WW2 - they had no *effective* means of communicating subtleties in
      > their position, so they were, indeed, reduced to relaying messages
      > through the Russians, which did, indeed, mangle the message.
      >
      > --
      >
      > P. J. O'Rourke - "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money."

    • Mike Barnes
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 27, 2009
        The RULE HAMMER_PRESS sounds intriguing, and certainly would create interesting press.

        On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Manus Hand <manus@...> wrote:

        So hey, I was thinking, and that's never good, because it usually
        leads to coding. My thought process got around meanderingly to the
        existing TOUCH_PRESS rule, in which people can only communicate if
        their units can support each other, and something made me think about
        a possible polar opposite.... Anyway, as long as I didn't make any
        mistakes, it means that a new press-variant is now available in the
        test (but not yet the production) DPjudge. So get a load of this and
        tell me what you DPjudgesters think.

        RULE HAMMER_PRESS -- players may not communicate with one another
        whenever they have adjacent units, or when either player has a unit
        adjacent to a supply center owned by the other.

        So at game-start, Italy and Austria can't send press to each other,
        for example. And probably a lot of other avenues get shut down after
        Spring 1901.

        I think it might strengthen alliances like England-Turkey v. Russia,
        Russia-France v. Germany, etc. Or it might lead to a lot of "hey, can
        you tell Austria this for me?" and thus a lot of "hey, Turkey told me
        to tell you this" lies.

        Maybe it's a dumb idea, and maybe it really handicaps Austria (who
        doesn't realy need the handicap). John Woolley was kind enough to
        criticize it thus:

        "...seems like one of those arbitrary silly-rules that has no POSSIBLE
        interpretation in terms of the real-life situation. If anything, it
        should be easier to communicate when you're close. But given the
        six-month game turns, a government would have to be SUPERNATURALLY
        ineffective to be unable to get messages around."

        I responded saying that it is realistic in an unrealistic way: "We
        will break off all diplomatic relations with you if you are ever in
        any position that could threaten or endanger our troops or cities."

        Anyway, arbitrarily silly or not, if you guys don't laugh it back out
        of the code, I'd be thinking of starting a new standard game (on the
        test judge, obviously) if there is interest from seven of you in
        wanting to try it out?

        Stab you soon,
        Manus

      • Manus Hand
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 27, 2009
          Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
          turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
          when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
          HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?

          Manus

          On 1/27/09, Mike Barnes <mikebarnes60@...> wrote:
          > The RULE HAMMER_PRESS sounds intriguing, and certainly would create
          > interesting press.
          >
          > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Manus Hand <manus@...> wrote:
          >
          >> So hey, I was thinking, and that's never good, because it usually
          >> leads to coding. My thought process got around meanderingly to the
          >> existing TOUCH_PRESS rule, in which people can only communicate if
          >> their units can support each other, and something made me think about
          >> a possible polar opposite.... Anyway, as long as I didn't make any
          >> mistakes, it means that a new press-variant is now available in the
          >> test (but not yet the production) DPjudge. So get a load of this and
          >> tell me what you DPjudgesters think.
          >>
          >> RULE HAMMER_PRESS -- players may not communicate with one another
          >> whenever they have adjacent units, or when either player has a unit
          >> adjacent to a supply center owned by the other.
          >>
          >> So at game-start, Italy and Austria can't send press to each other,
          >> for example. And probably a lot of other avenues get shut down after
          >> Spring 1901.
          >>
          >> I think it might strengthen alliances like England-Turkey v. Russia,
          >> Russia-France v. Germany, etc. Or it might lead to a lot of "hey, can
          >> you tell Austria this for me?" and thus a lot of "hey, Turkey told me
          >> to tell you this" lies.
          >>
          >> Maybe it's a dumb idea, and maybe it really handicaps Austria (who
          >> doesn't realy need the handicap). John Woolley was kind enough to
          >> criticize it thus:
          >>
          >> "...seems like one of those arbitrary silly-rules that has no POSSIBLE
          >> interpretation in terms of the real-life situation. If anything, it
          >> should be easier to communicate when you're close. But given the
          >> six-month game turns, a government would have to be SUPERNATURALLY
          >> ineffective to be unable to get messages around."
          >>
          >> I responded saying that it is realistic in an unrealistic way: "We
          >> will break off all diplomatic relations with you if you are ever in
          >> any position that could threaten or endanger our troops or cities."
          >>
          >> Anyway, arbitrarily silly or not, if you guys don't laugh it back out
          >> of the code, I'd be thinking of starting a new standard game (on the
          >> test judge, obviously) if there is interest from seven of you in
          >> wanting to try it out?
          >>
          >> Stab you soon,
          >> Manus

        • Mark Arvidson
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 27, 2009
            No, I think broadcast becomes all the more interesting, as players must speak in the clear or in code to conduct communication. Gray broadcast makes it even more interesting. GM option, of course. I also like the message passing Austria - England - Italy or Turkey - France - Russia. That has wonderful possibilities for subterfuge.

            I would be interested in giving it a try after Sengoku comes to conclusion. Right now I am having a good time playing a Japanese Warlord.

            Ciao,
            Mark

> [...]
            > >>
            > >> "...seems like one of those arbitrary
            > silly-rules that has no POSSIBLE
            > >> interpretation in terms of the real-life
            > situation. If anything, it
            > >> should be easier to communicate when you're
            > close. But given the
            > >> six-month game turns, a government would have to
            > be SUPERNATURALLY
            > >> ineffective to be unable to get messages
            > around."
            > >>
            > >> I responded saying that it is realistic in an
            > unrealistic way: "We
            > >> will break off all diplomatic relations with you
            > if you are ever in
            > >> any position that could threaten or endanger our
            > troops or cities."
            > >>
            > >> Anyway, arbitrarily silly or not, if you guys
            > don't laugh it back out
            > >> of the code, I'd be thinking of starting a new
            > standard game (on the
            > >> test judge, obviously) if there is interest from

          • Millis Miller
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
              On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:58:26 -0700, Manus Hand wrote
              > Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
              > turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
              > when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
              > HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?
              >
              > Manus

              Not necessarily: no reason why Broadcast press shouldn't always work and
              partial press only restricted by default but, if you wanted, you could turn
              off broadcast press too as a separate option.

              It does sound an interesting option indeed to play a game with - just not sure
              that the name is so good, maybe something like NO_NEIGHBOUR_PRESS describes it
              better as a flag name?

              BR,
              Millis

              Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)
            • Nick Nimchuk
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                Personally, I would establish a cryptographic key in private press, and then use that to broadcast encoded messages or send them through a third party.  Or, in the second case, at least an encrypted signature that could guarantee that the message wasn't... massaged... in transit.

                -Nick

                On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Millis Miller <millis@...> wrote:
                On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:58:26 -0700, Manus Hand wrote
                > Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
                > turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
                > when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
                > HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?
                >
                > Manus

                Not necessarily: no reason why Broadcast press shouldn't always work and
                partial press only restricted by default but, if you wanted, you could turn
                off broadcast press too as a separate option.

                It does sound an interesting option indeed to play a game with - just not sure
                that the name is so good, maybe something like NO_NEIGHBOUR_PRESS describes it
                better as a flag name?

                BR,
                Millis

                Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto:dpjudge-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mailto:dpjudge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Manus Hand
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                  Okay, based on this discussion, what I have done (and it looks like TOUCH_ is also coded this way too) is make it so that broadcasts are FORBIDDEN by default in HAMMER_PRESS, unless the GM also adds RULE PUBLIC_PRESS, which will then allow them.

                  I did like the idea of a GM adding YELLOW_PRESS too (so that all broadcasts are sent anonymously), or, of course, allowing FAKE_PRESS would be fun.  [Hmm....this brings me to something I should check into -- if FAKE_PRESS is on, does it (because it should) properly limit who you can pretend to be to only those people who can talk to the addressees?  I bet I will need to do some coding to make FAKE_PRESS work in this way with TOUCH_ and HAMMER_].

                  With broadcasts forbidden, I think the cryptographic key problem is at least a little bit resolved, because I don't know about you, but I'm not going to forward a message from one power to another without me being able to read it along the way -- I don't care how close a trio we might be, if I get something in code from one player and asked to forward it to another, I'm just going to hit Delete, and anyone who doesn't deserves what he's probably gonna get.

                  Manus

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                    Oh, and as for renaming it, yeah, HAMMER_PRESS was kinda a joke name with the reference to that "Can't Touch This" song from -- what? -- wow, almost 20 years ago now?  I'll entertain ideas for the new name; NO_NEIGHBOR is good, just a bit long (but might be the shortest we can do).

                    Manus

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                      All of this, of course, gets into the "there's always a way around it, when we're talking press restrictions" stuff, and even with coding schemes aside, you can think of ways to make sure that forwarded messages can be verified, at least somewhat, like this:

                      SIGNON RUSSIA@hammertime myPassword
                      PRESS TO T
                      Greetings, and welcome to the game.  Please know that if you ever get a message that claims to be from me, forwarded to you by some other player, it will not be authentically from me (and completely intact and unchanged) unless the number of words are evenly divisible by ten, the number of vowels evenly divisible by six, the number of characters evenly divisible by eighteen, and the number of punctuation marks evenly divisible by seven.  Thanks!

                      And oh, if I ever ask you to forward something from me, you might want to know that some other, completely different scheme has been announced to each of the other players, and no, they're not all based on the things being evenly divisible by any particular number.

                      Now, about the Black Sea....
                      SIGNOFF

                      Of course, my reaction to such a thing would be:

                      SIGNON TURKEY@hammertime myPassword
                      PRESS TO R
                      I neither forward press nor believe a word of any press claiming to be forwarded.

                      And I'll thank you to stay out of the Black Sea.
                      SIGNOFF

                      On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Nick Nimchuk <diplomaticus@...> wrote:
                      Personally, I would establish a cryptographic key in private press, and then use that to broadcast encoded messages or send them through a third party.  Or, in the second case, at least an encrypted signature that could guarantee that the message wasn't... massaged... in transit.

                      -Nick

                      On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Millis Miller <millis@...> wrote:
                      On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:58:26 -0700, Manus Hand wrote
                      > Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
                      > turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
                      > when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
                      > HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?
                      >
                      > Manus

                      Not necessarily: no reason why Broadcast press shouldn't always work and
                      partial press only restricted by default but, if you wanted, you could turn
                      off broadcast press too as a separate option.

                      It does sound an interesting option indeed to play a game with - just not sure
                      that the name is so good, maybe something like NO_NEIGHBOUR_PRESS describes it
                      better as a flag name?

                      BR,
                      Millis

                      Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         mailto:dpjudge-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         mailto:dpjudge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • kindly_despot
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                        So...

                        ...article? ^_^

                      • Sloth
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                          On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM, kindly_despot <kindly_despot@...> wrote:

                          > So...
                          >
                          > ...article? ^_^

                          The.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                            I'll go with "An"

                            On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Sloth <sloth.dc@...> wrote:
                            On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM, kindly_despot <kindly_despot@...> wrote:

                            > So...
                            >
                            > ...article? ^_^

                            The.

                            --

                            P. J. O'Rourke  - "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money."

                            <*> Your email settings:
                               Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                               (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                               mailto:dpjudge-digest@yahoogroups.com
                               mailto:dpjudge-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Chris Babcock
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                              Manus Hand <manus@...> wrote:

                              > Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
                              > turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
                              > when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
                              > HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?
                              >
                              > Manus

                              Or at least have a house rule on the judge banning encryption. I don't
                              see a game problem with code words or any form of cypher that doesn't
                              involve a key exchange, but in order to keep with the thematic elements
                              of the rule that might be needful.

                              Chris
                            • Millis Miller
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                                On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:50:29 -0700, Chris Babcock wrote
                                > On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:58:26 -0700
                                > Manus Hand <manus@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Mike brings up a good point -- if I were Russia, I would use the one
                                > > turn I had with Turkey to establish a code only we two knew, and then
                                > > when communication was shut between us, use BROADCAST to communicate.
                                > > HAMMER_ (and TOUCH_) probably should forbid broadcast press, huh?
                                > >
                                > > Manus
                                >
                                > Or at least have a house rule on the judge banning encryption. I
                                > don't see a game problem with code words or any form of cypher that doesn't
                                > involve a key exchange, but in order to keep with the thematic elements
                                > of the rule that might be needful.
                                >
                                > Chris

                                I thought that many systems did have such a rule, I've certainly seen it
                                discussed before...

                                BR,
                                M.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 28, 2009
                                  Encryption, other than codes that players may choose to devise themselves, should not be used.
                                  That said, codes, along with yellow, gray, and fake press are wonderful aspects of the diplomacy game that are not used quite enough. I would like to see more of these options.

                                  -Mark

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 29, 2009
                                    I was thinking more along the lines of "Noli Me Tangere: An
                                    Introduction to the Fascinating New Hammer Variant".

                                    Don't forget, March 1st. :-D