Saving seeds

  • linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Are the seeds from heirloom tomatoes that have ripen on the counter
      (brought in b/c of freeze) good as if ripen on the vine? Is there a
      difference?

      tc linda , who's been walking on the trails this very foggy morning,
      so peaceful.
    • tenzicut
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        > Are the seeds from heirloom tomatoes that have ripen on the counter
        > (brought in b/c of freeze) good as if ripen on the vine? Is there a
        > difference?

        *** There will be no difference in the seed quality.. HOWEVER.. you
        knew there would be a "but"....

        BUT... what traits are you saving that variety for? Early production?
        All ready at the same time on the vine? If so, this is not the one you
        want to use. I have one plate of tomatoes I pulled in (last year) as I
        wanted a longer lasting tomato after it was pulled from the vine. So I
        put them on a plate and started chucking them as soon as they started
        to look 'off'. I had 5 that looked as good 4 months later as they day
        they were picked. So I saved seed from them.

        tenzicut - who has to go take the heavy freezer off the trailer and go
        get heavy hay.