Re: Freeze

  • tenzicut
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2008
      > Hi everyone. Those that had a freeze , did you hurry up and gather
      > from the gardens?

      *** I only got a bit of swiss chard and some red cabbages out and did
      not deal with the rest due to moving and other things I had to deal
      with. Next year will be a better harvest. I am already noting that it
      is warmer where I am.

      <Soon
      > I'll be gathering big brown eggs. I'm thinkin I should go ahead and
      > keep a litght on them, what you all think? Should this be an all
      > night light?

      *** How long have your hens been laying and how fast do you want to use
      them up? Make sure you feed alot of calcium if you do, as the birds
      should have a break for awhile as egg laying leeches the calcium out of
      their bones. If you do use artificial light (vs sunlight) make sure
      that they are not flourescent lights. Try to get a full spectrum one.

      Hens require 14 hours of day length to sustain egg production. Once day
      length drops below 12 hours, production will decrease or stop. This
      happens naturally from October through February. My hens up here stop
      in October and resume usually on March 1st.

      I choose to not put lights on my birds as I feel they need that rest
      period to regain the minerals and calcium for their bones to keep the
      bird in better health.

      tenzicut
      http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com