Enco Mill Motor

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2008
      Alert! Don't purchase the Leeson 192065 3-phase motor for your Enco
      dovetail column mill. It doesn't fit.

      I discovered that the motor on the Enco dovetail column mill does not
      match the specifications for a YL-90L-4 IEC motor even though the
      motor is marked as a YL-90L-4. The Leeson 3-phase motor I bought will
      not fit. Actually the flange mounting fits but the shaft on the Leeson
      matches the IEC specification for a IEC-90 frame which is 24mm x 50mm
      long. Unfortunately, the shaft on the Enco motor is 19mm x 30mm long.
      It looks to me that the motor started out as an IEC-90 frame but then
      the shaft was turned down and cut shorter. Arggg!!!!
      I'm going to check with Leeson and see what it would cost to turn down
      the shaft to fit the mill but likely it will be too expensive. Shipping
      alone was $40 so double that to ship it to them and then the return
      shipping. I know, I should have pulled the motor and took copious
      measurements but I trusted the motor nameplate. Shame on me!

      Sad Ed
    • Alan Wright
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2008
        The IH mill is sold with a 2HP motor that starts
        out as IEC-90. It is turned down to fit the D80
        shaft size. You could opt for the 1.5HP Leeson
        (which is D80), or you could do what IH recommends
        which is to have a local motor shop modify the shaft.
        They say it's cheap to have this done.

        Alan

        --- In dovetail_column_mill_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ekadlec@...>
        wrote:

        > Alert! Don't purchase the Leeson 192065 3-phase motor for your Enco
        > dovetail column mill. It doesn't fit.
        >
        > I discovered that the motor on the Enco dovetail column mill does
        not
        > match the specifications for a YL-90L-4 IEC motor even though the
        > motor is marked as a YL-90L-4. The Leeson 3-phase motor I bought
        will
        > not fit. Actually the flange mounting fits but the shaft on the
        Leeson
        > matches the IEC specification for a IEC-90 frame which is 24mm x
        50mm
        > long. Unfortunately, the shaft on the Enco motor is 19mm x 30mm
        long.
        > It looks to me that the motor started out as an IEC-90 frame but
        then
        > the shaft was turned down and cut shorter. Arggg!!!!
        > I'm going to check with Leeson and see what it would cost to turn
        down
        > the shaft to fit the mill but likely it will be too expensive.
        Shipping
        > alone was $40 so double that to ship it to them and then the return
        > shipping. I know, I should have pulled the motor and took copious
        > measurements but I trusted the motor nameplate. Shame on me!
        >
        > Sad Ed

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
          Hi Alan,

          You are the second person to suggest a local motor shop so I think I
          will pursue that to at least find out what it would cost. I'm afraid
          it will void the warranty though. My other option is to make a spacer
          that raises the motor up and then make a shaft adapter. I made some
          preliminary drawings that would raise the motor 1.5" to allow the
          space for the shaft adapter. I would need to cut the Leeson motor
          shaft down to about an inch but that would be the only modification to
          the motor. I have all of the metal needed to make it so it would only
          cost me my time. I think I'll still check on the cost of getting the
          shaft turned down though. If it's less than $50 then I may go for it.
          Thanks for the suggestion.

          Ed

          --- In dovetail_column_mill_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Wright"
          <alan@...> wrote:

          > The IH mill is sold with a 2HP motor that starts
          > out as IEC-90. It is turned down to fit the D80
          > shaft size. You could opt for the 1.5HP Leeson
          > (which is D80), or you could do what IH recommends
          > which is to have a local motor shop modify the shaft.
          > They say it's cheap to have this done.
          >
          > Alan
          >

          > --- In dovetail_column_mill_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ekadlec@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Alert! Don't purchase the Leeson 192065 3-phase motor for your Enco
          > > dovetail column mill. It doesn't fit.
          > >
          > > I discovered that the motor on the Enco dovetail column mill does
          > not
          > > match the specifications for a YL-90L-4 IEC motor even though the
          > > motor is marked as a YL-90L-4. The Leeson 3-phase motor I bought
          > will
          > > not fit. Actually the flange mounting fits but the shaft on the
          > Leeson
          > > matches the IEC specification for a IEC-90 frame which is 24mm x
          > 50mm
          > > long. Unfortunately, the shaft on the Enco motor is 19mm x 30mm
          > long.
          > > It looks to me that the motor started out as an IEC-90 frame but
          > then
          > > the shaft was turned down and cut shorter. Arggg!!!!
          > > I'm going to check with Leeson and see what it would cost to turn
          > down
          > > the shaft to fit the mill but likely it will be too expensive.
          > Shipping
          > > alone was $40 so double that to ship it to them and then the return
          > > shipping. I know, I should have pulled the motor and took copious
          > > measurements but I trusted the motor nameplate. Shame on me!
          > >
          > > Sad Ed

        • Ed
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2008
            I just called a Leeson service center, which is about 22 miles from my
            home, and he said he could turn down the shaft for about $30 and that
            it wouldn't void the warranty. I think the crisis is averted. We'll
            see. Hopefully I'll have the motor back in time for this coming weekend.

            <alan@...> wrote:

            > The IH mill is sold with a 2HP motor that starts
            > out as IEC-90. It is turned down to fit the D80
            > shaft size. You could opt for the 1.5HP Leeson
            > (which is D80), or you could do what IH recommends
            > which is to have a local motor shop modify the shaft.
            > They say it's cheap to have this done.
            >
            > Alan
            >

            > --- In dovetail_column_mill_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ekadlec@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Alert! Don't purchase the Leeson 192065 3-phase motor for your Enco
            > > dovetail column mill. It doesn't fit.
            > >
            > > I discovered that the motor on the Enco dovetail column mill does
            > not
            > > match the specifications for a YL-90L-4 IEC motor even though the
            > > motor is marked as a YL-90L-4. The Leeson 3-phase motor I bought
            > will
            > > not fit. Actually the flange mounting fits but the shaft on the
            > Leeson
            > > matches the IEC specification for a IEC-90 frame which is 24mm x
            > 50mm
            > > long. Unfortunately, the shaft on the Enco motor is 19mm x 30mm
            > long.
            > > It looks to me that the motor started out as an IEC-90 frame but
            > then
            > > the shaft was turned down and cut shorter. Arggg!!!!
            > > I'm going to check with Leeson and see what it would cost to turn
            > down
            > > the shaft to fit the mill but likely it will be too expensive.
            > Shipping
            > > alone was $40 so double that to ship it to them and then the return
            > > shipping. I know, I should have pulled the motor and took copious
            > > measurements but I trusted the motor nameplate. Shame on me!
            > >
            > > Sad Ed

          • Ed
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2008
              I got my motor back from getting the shaft turned down. It ended up
              costing me $45. I had them mill the keyway and cut the shaft to length
              for me also. The turning job isn't the best for a shaft but hopefully
              it is at least concentric with the motor. I'll find out soon enough.

              Ed