Registration Link for 6/23 DOVA Meeting + Volunteer for 2011-12 DOVA Board Leadership Opportunities

  • Lori Tsuruda
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
      I'm pleased to announce that DOVA's final meeting of the 2010-11 year will take place
      at Legal Sea Food in Copley Place mall with delicious vegetarian and seafood antipasto,
      iced water/tea, and dessert. Discounted validated parking is available.

      Here's the registration link: http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22CGSJS5JX6/

      Please register by 6/15 for lowest price!

      Note: We still need a secretary, treasurer, nominations chair for 2012-13, and at least one new member at large,
      We need DOVA members to hold these leadership positions (described below) to plan programs that
      address members' real needs.

      --Lori

      On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Lori Tsuruda <lori@...> wrote:
      Save the Date for DOVA's End of Year Celebration, Elections & Planning Meeting for 2011-12
      Thursday, June 23
      3:30-5:00 pm Planning Meeting
      5:00-5:45 pm Board Meeting
      Boston Location with Registration Link To Be Announced Soon

      This date and timing worked for the most (12-15) members of the 23 who responded to our scheduling survey last week.

      Free for Current DOVA Members
      Modest Cost for Non-Members (to cover refreshments)

      * * * * *

      As the 2010-11 DOVA year draws to close and we reflect on how it went and discuss what we want to do programmatically next year (2011-12),
      \we need DOVA members to take on the leadership roles
      described below to strengthen our professional organization, as well as their
      professional experience and networks.

      Benefits of serving on the DOVA Board:
      • Improve volunteer administration and the volunteer experience in Greater Boston
      • Learn about other volunteer programs and how to improve delivery of quality volunteer services
      • Shape DOVA programs
      • Network with peers to share best practices and challenges
      • Develop leadership, event planning, and other skills
      • Increase one’s professional profile

      Time commitments for 6/23/11-6/30/12: We seek DOVA members to serve in the roles listed below, beginning with a DOVA board meeting on 6/23, 5:00-5:45 pm. Then the majority of activity will take place via flexible email and phone in July and August for VPs, with follow-up throughout the year. For appointed Members-at-Large, program-date-centric activities scheduled/assigned according to your availability and interests will take place during the two months preceding program meetings for appointed members-at-large. Serving as secretary is particularly flexible and entails online support of our yahoogroup, whereas serving as treasurer entails reviewing and preparing financial information monthly. Nominating chair outreach work takes place by phone and email during March-May.

      Nominate yourself: No later than 6/13, email me (lori at pmd.org) and indicate the position(s) in which you are interested, a few sentences why you are interested in serving in each role, your title, agency, number of years in volunteer management and/or related fields, and confirm that you will be dependably able to attend the 6/23 meeting and complete a full term, June 23, 2011-June 30, 2012.

      Secretary
      (Contact Coffie Fields for more details at coffie.fields@...)
      • Circulate meeting flyers using yahoogroups and other free training calendar listing services like Mission-Based Massachusetts yahoogroup, massnonprofitnet.org, young nonprofit professionals, etc.
      • Update and maintain yahoogroup member list and web site, as well as LinkedIn group
      • Update and post membership application form and brochure, meeting flyers, program/meeting notes, calendar, etc. on DOVA yahoogroup web site
      • Keep and circulate board meeting minutes to board members (board meets 2-3 times per year, as needed)
      • With Membership VP, create and circulate PDF membership directory in February and issue updates as needed
      • Maintain/record a calendar of past and future DOVA activities on the yahoogroup calendar

      Treasurer (Contact Laura Scarlett Tavares for more details at laura.s.tavares@....)
      • Collaborate with president and vice presidents to draft annual budget this summer
      • Prepare and circulate Final Budget by autumn board meeting.
      • Keep ledger current, based on bank statements and other information emailed/posted to shared google document by PMD
      • Reconcile ledger and bank statements on a monthly basis
      • Prepare actual-to-budget financials within a month of receiving bank statements, and a year-end report after June 30
      • Collect dues and non-member payments at meetings, issue receipts from PMD receipt book, and account for all funds so the President can deposit them. (When the Treasurer is unable to attend meetings, these duties must be undertaken by another DOVA officer or trusted, organized member.)

      Members-At-Large (Contact me for more details.)

      One elected as Nominating Chair to
      • Develop/update job descriptions with President
      • Solicit nominations for candidates (March-May)
      2-4 Members-At-Large appointed by President to serve as Team Leaders: (Contact me for more details.)
      • Develop program under guidance of Program VP and President
      • Select site for meeting, and develop detailed and accurate directions to site so that
        Program VP can develop detailed and accurate flyers at least one month in advance
      • Provide catchy title and brief description and speaker biographies so that Program VP can develop detailed and accurate flyers
      • Produce attendance sheets for check-in process and for distribution to all participants at the meeting
      • Welcome and check-in/register all meeting attendees and give final attendance sheet to Membership VP
      • Obtain refreshments for meeting within budget allocated by Program VP.
      • Use nametags, post signage, and perform other standard meeting preparations
      • Facilitate program portion of meeting (i.e., introduce speaker, moderate, facilitate Q&A, etc.)
      • Take program notes and give to secretary to post on web site(s) if appropriate
      • Write and send letters of appreciation to speakers/presenters/host sites

      Sincerely,
      Lori Tsuruda
      2010-11 DOVA President

      People Making a Difference (PMD)
      PO Box 120189, Boston, MA 02112
      617-298-0025
      http://www.pmd.org
      lori@...

    • Lori Tsuruda
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2011

        Remember to register by Wed 6/15 for next week's 6/23 DOVA Celebration at Legal's - FREE for current DOVA members who sign up by 6/15. At our cost for non-members.

        If you miss the Wednesday deadline, to attend everyone will have to pay a $10 additional surcharge to "walk in" on 6/23.

        We still need volunteer leaders (you?) to serve as secretary (quick yahoogroup tasks from your computer), someone to serve as treasurer (monthly spreadsheet work (only 0-6 transactions per month!), someone to serve as nominations chair (reach out to current members in Spring 2012), and one more to serve as a member at large (help setup, sign in, and clean up for 2 DOVA meetings you attend, plus attend the 6/23 joint board meeting 5:00-5:45 pm.

        T 617-298-0025
        http://www.pmd.org
        lori@...