Re: [domaindrivendesign] Re: Is this a Specification?

  • Ralph Johnson
    Message 1 of 51 , Apr 28, 2005
      >So assuming someone did want to want to learn to think differently what
      >would you go with? Ruby, Python, Smalltalk?

      I prefer Smalltalk. But it doesn't matter what I prefer. You should
      choose a language based on who is around you. Do you know somebody who
      is a fan of one of these languages? Could you talk regularly with this
      person? Better yet, could you do a project with this person?

      By far the best way to learn a language is to work with an expert in it.
      You should pick a language based on people who you know. One expert is
      all it takes, but you need one.

      The best situation is where you work regularly with the expert on a
      project using the language, even if it is only every Thursday night.
      It would be almost as good if you would work on the project on your
      own but bring code samples to the expert when you have lunch twice a
      week.

      It is possible to learn a language on your own, but it takes a long
      time to learn the spirit of a language unless you interact with experts.

      -Ralph Johnson
    • Gregg Irwin
      Message 51 of 51 , Apr 28, 2005
        Hi Scott,

        SB> Do you do customer work with something like REBOL?

        Yup. There are commercial versions of REBOL that I use where a
        standalone EXE or certain other features are needed; I've also used
        IOS as a "platform", in addition to using it extensively as a
        collaboration tool with little or no customization.

        A couple small teams have developed some very successful projects for
        the NREN research institute in the Netherlands. Here's one:

        http://detective.surfnet.nl/en/index_en.html

        More recently, where C# is the tool designated for new work, I built a
        number of interim functional prototype apps in REBOL, to ease some
        user pain, which allowed them to be rolled out quickly, without the
        need to install the .NET framework; just a single EXE to copy over; no
        dependencies.

        --Gregg

        () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
        /\ - Against HTML Mail