  • Adi Gunawan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      Dear All,

      Ada produk pemanis dgn menggunakan sorbitol, apakah zat tsb jg aman untuk
      dikonsumsi jangka pendek/panjang? Mengingat dlm mail2 sebelumnya dpt
      disimpulkan Aspartame tidak baik u/ kesehatan. Thanks.

      Regards,

      Adi Gunawan
      This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
      information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or
      agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s),
      you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
      this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
      If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
      sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer. The contents of
      this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by RGM
      International Private Limited unless expressly stated otherwise.
    • bintang langit
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Dokters & rekans

        Apakah boleh minum antibiotik pada masa menyusui? pengaruh ke asinya ga? pengaruh ke bayi ga?

        Saya rencana mau cabut gigi graham, tapi dokter nyuruh saya minum AB dulu, karena graham saya itu memang lagi sakit.

        Dokter gi2 saya ini selalu kasih AB kalau ada infeksi, apakah memang harus begitu, karena saya merasa kok jadinya sering banget minum Antibiotik.

        Mohon pencerahan

        Trims
        Dydy

      • imcw
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2006
          imho,

          pada saat menyusui tidak masalah meminum antibiotika asal sesuai
          dengan dosis dan antibiotika yang diberikan tepat alias tidak kontra
          indikasi...
          kalo ada infeksi pada gigi memang tidak bleh untuk dicabut, kalo
          dipaksakan maka infeksi tersebut akan bisa menyebar ke bagian tubuh
          yang lain, dan yang paling menakutkan bila menyebar ke otak karena
          letak gigi yang sangat dekat dengan otak...
          --
          I Made Cock Wirawan

          bintang langit quotes,

          bl> Apakah boleh minum antibiotik pada masa menyusui? pengaruh
          bl> ke asinya ga? pengaruh ke bayi ga?

          bl> Saya rencana mau cabut gigi graham, tapi dokter nyuruh saya
          bl> minum AB dulu, karena graham saya itu memang lagi sakit.

          bl> Dokter gi2 saya ini selalu kasih AB kalau ada infeksi,
          bl> apakah memang harus begitu, karena saya merasa kok jadinya sering
          bl> banget minum Antibiotik.

          -end quotes-

          persadia bali : http://persadiabali.blogspot.com/

        • Dr.(Naturopathy) Ir. Donny Hosea MBA. Ph
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2006
            Hello ADI,
            Ini mungkin berguna ya???
            Hot Topics (http://www.foodintol.com/food_intolerance/hot_ibs.htm)

            The Trouble With Sugar Free . . . .25 Aug 2003

            How Sorbitol Causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome

            If you suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and enjoy sugar-free
            products, it may be worthwhile to review your eating habits.

            Did you know the common additive sorbitol causes bloating, flatulence
            and diarrhea? It only takes 10g per day. Ironically sugar-free products
            are marketed as being part of a healthy lifestyle.

            Despite more than two decades of clinical research on the detrimental
            effects of sugar substitutes on the human body, sugar-free products are
            sold as solutions for everything from weight loss to tooth whitening.

            We classify Irritable Bowel Syndrome as a collection of symptoms rather
            than a disease. If you have long-term symptoms like stomach bloating,
            flatulence, itching skin, headache, yeast infections or dozens of others
            check the Symptoms Matrix to see whether you could have a food intolerance:

            This article looks at sorbitol, one of the so-called polyols listed on
            sugar-free packs and used frequently as a softener and sweetener in
            confectionery.

            * Why do manufacturers in 2003 continue to market products that
            contain sorbitol at levels known to cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

            * Sugar-free products are the darlings of retailers. The tiny packs
            take up little space at the point of sale. Now enjoying
            double-digit sales growth, they deliver profit margins which far
            outstrip chocolate bars or sugar candy (1).

            Sorbitol is a natural laxative and occurs in pears, prunes and other
            fruits. In fact sorbitol solution is sold as a laxative through
            pharmacies (Sorbilax - Pharmacia & Upjohn).

            Link to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
            Sorbitol is also thought to be a cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (2).
            Most sugar-free products carry warnings like: Excess consumption can
            have a laxative effect.However, the packs are so small that reading them
            is difficult, and more importantly the term excess usage is not
            explained or quantified. Is one pack an excess?

            * Dateline June 1995: The Lancet publishes the case of a 35 year-old
            Flight Attendant diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. She is
            admitted to a British Hospital and undergoes a series of gruelling
            tests: 14 procedures including blood tests, biopsies, liver
            biochemistry, gastroscopy, endoscopy and periods of supervised
            fasting. It eventually it turns out the cause of her diarrhea (up
            to ten watery motions per day) is the result of habitual use of
            sugar-free chewing gum containing sorbitol (3).

            This is despite clinical results published twelve years earlier
            (Gastroenterology January 1983) from the Hartford Hospital and
            University of Connecticut warning that sorbitol causes
            gastro-intestinal distress in amounts as little as 10g per day (4).

            * Dateline June 2003: Popular sugar-free fruit pastilles, mints and
            chewing gum contain sorbitol in rather large amounts (42% - 50%)
            (5,6). This means a single tiny 25g purse-pack of fruit pastilles
            contains easily enough Sorbitol to cause gastro-intestinal
            distress and diarrhea and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

            And with chewing gum there is even greater danger of sorbitol overdose.
            The manufacturer of a gum marketed as a teeth whitener (6) encourages
            consumers to use it many times in a day, presumably to glean as much of
            the tooth brightening property as possible. Ironically this is claimed
            by the manufacturer to be a healthy lifestyle activity.

            There is no reference on the packaging or manufacturer's website to the
            laxative properties of sorbitol.

            * So what? you think. We don't swallow chewing gum.
            * While gum is not swallowed many of its ingredients are readily
            ingested and quickly make their way to the intestinal tract.

            From Special Dietary to Mainstream
            Sugar-free is big business. The last five years has seen a whole new
            wave of low-joule, so-called tooth-friendly products marketed to
            mainstream consumers.

            Originally marketed only to the Diabetic population, products containing
            sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol,
            mannitol, acesulphame-K, cyclamates and sucralose are now included
            routinely in Sugar-free jubes, mints, breath fresheners, chewing gum,
            soft drinks, diet yoghurt, low-joule ice cream and sugar-substitute
            baking ingredients. Problems arise when people use sugar-free chewing
            gum or sweets as a habit.

            The action of sorbitol is to linger in the gut because it is not
            digested. Dosing ourselves daily means we are less able to clear
            sorbitol from our systems: each day it accrues to a greater and greater
            concentration.

            How Does It Cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
            Firstly, undigested sorbitol in the small intestine acts as a substrate
            (platform) for the fermentation of bacteria. Hydrogen gas is produced
            causing abdominal cramps, bloating and severe flatulence. These are also
            common symptoms of food intolerance,

            Secondly, we already know sorbitol in quantities as low as 10g per day
            causes diarrhea - brought on by the so-called osmotic purge happening in
            the gut.

            Sorbitol is a polyalcohol sugar and is neither digested nor absorbed by
            the small intestine. It passes through to the colon where it drives an
            osmotic purge (2). This means it passes through the lining of the
            intestine causing fluids (mostly water) to pass through in the opposite
            direction via osmosis. Bowel motions become watery and lead to
            dehydration and over time, other consequences like malabsorption of
            nutrients.

            Here at foodintol we are not concerned about the use of artificial
            sweeteners per se, just the dosages or amounts available in everyday
            food products. When this is coupled with the manufacturer's
            encouragement to use them frequently and make it a habit we believe
            there is a real health danger for consumers.

            We feel there is room for manufacturers to take more responsibility in
            relation to sorbitol, especially in the light of increased understanding
            from long term clinical research.

            Meanwhile for the consumer, awareness is our only real defence. For
            those who believe they may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome it may be wise
            to take a personal inventory of the sugar-free foods they are eating to
            first rule them out as a cause.