a short tutorial on compositing with bluescreen - 2 images into 1

  • staigermanus
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
      The blue-screening (or green-screening) technique is often thought of as used for video, but it's not just restricted to such use. With PD Pro you can easily use Blue- and other colored screening for compositing simply two images. This tutorial shows the main steps:

      http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreening

      All you do is place the 'background' image into one buffer, such as the swap buffer, and then switch back to the other buffer to load into it what's the foreground image that contains the blue background. The Compositing filter does the rest.

      Whether you take a picture of someone in front of a real green or blue screen, or render your Poser characters or other items in front of such plain colors, you're just a click away from blending that and another piamge into a single image.
    • staigermanus
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
        oops here is the full path...

        http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreening/how-to-bluescreen-a-still-image.html

        -- In dogwaffle@yahoogroups.com, "staigermanus" <dogwaffle@...> wrote:

        > The blue-screening (or green-screening) technique is often thought of as used for video, but it's not just restricted to such use. With PD Pro you can easily use Blue- and other colored screening for compositing simply two images. This tutorial shows the main steps:
        >
        > http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreening
        >
        > All you do is place the 'background' image into one buffer, such as the swap buffer, and then switch back to the other buffer to load into it what's the foreground image that contains the blue background. The Compositing filter does the rest.
        >
        > Whether you take a picture of someone in front of a real green or blue screen, or render your Poser characters or other items in front of such plain colors, you're just a click away from blending that and another piamge into a single image.

      • DrEddie51
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
          This is great!!! Thanks for sending this. Seems pretty straight forward.

          I almost missed it. For some reason, the computer decided to put this message in the junk email.

          Great stuff!

          DrEddie

          > The blue-screening (or green-screening) technique is often thought of as used for video, but it's not just restricted to such use. With PD Pro you can easily use Blue- and other colored screening for compositing simply two images. This tutorial shows the main steps:
          >
          > http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreening
          >
          > All you do is place the 'background' image into one buffer, such as the swap buffer, and then switch back to the other buffer to load into it what's the foreground image that contains the blue background. The Compositing filter does the rest.
          >
          > Whether you take a picture of someone in front of a real green or blue screen, or render your Poser characters or other items in front of such plain colors, you're just a click away from blending that and another piamge into a single image.

        • Richard K
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
            Awesome, just in time as I'm using Carrara to create a video and I'm planning on using PD for some compositing, Thanks!
            Is there a tutorial on creating Dogwaffle effects over rendered animations? For example using Dogwaffle to add rain/duststorm or extra lighting effects post-rendered.
            ~~Richard~~

            > The blue-screening (or green-screening) technique is often thought of as used for video, but it's not just restricted to such use. With PD Pro you can easily use Blue- and other colored screening for compositing simply two images. This tutorial shows the main steps:
            >
            > http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreening
            >
            > All you do is place the 'background' image into one buffer, such as the swap buffer, and then switch back to the other buffer to load into it what's the foreground image that contains the blue background. The Compositing filter does the rest.
            >
            > Whether you take a picture of someone in front of a real green or blue screen, or render your Poser characters or other items in front of such plain colors, you're just a click away from blending that and another piamge into a single image.

          • Tiffanie Gray
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
            • staigermanus
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                Glad this helped.

                There are many tutorials, look here:

                http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/index.html

                There is one in particular about composting not just a single image, but the whole image sequences of two animations.

                with alpha channel:
                http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/tuts/cryptonite/index.html

                with bluescreen (Poser walk sequence)
                http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/bluescreencomp/index.html

                There are also tons of animated effects possible with the Timeline editor from the Animation>Timeline menu, essentially it's like applying filters with keyframes across the timeline

                See also the video-related tutorials
                http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/video/index.html

                Lightning effects:
                http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro/tutorials/lightning/index.html

                And there are more tutorials at www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/tuts

                If you send me more details about your specific project and sample clips or images I might make a tutorial specifically with that, or something similar.

                -Philip

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Speaking of animation.... I tried to save a project with .avi in PD Pro4
                  and no matter which codec I tried it squewed the animation angle-wise
                  and turned it black and white with slight colored lines running through
                  it. What am I doing wrong? I wanted to make a simple gif style
                  animation that cycled through several pictures over and over.

                  Thanks

                  ART: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/t/i/tiffanie/tiffanie.html
                  ART: http://dakorillon.deviantart.com/
                  ART: http://immortalmoments.tntcreationz.com
                  SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/immortalmoments
                  CRAFTS: http://HowlingMoonCreations.tntcreationz.com
                  *Charismatika* SL Shop: https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&MerchantID=198604

                • Richard K
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                    I certianly will, right now I'm putting together all the models and texturing.
                    The cryptonite tut is what I was looking for, that mystic vision is also going to come in handy and might cut down on my rendering time, thx

                    If you send me more details about your specific project and sample clips or images I might make a tutorial specifically with that, or something similar.

                    -Philip

                    Recent Activity
                    Visit Your Group
                    Give Back
                    Yahoo! for Good

                    Get inspired

                    by a good cause.

                    Y! Toolbar
                    Get it Free!

                    easy 1-click access

                    to your groups.

                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Start a group

                    in 3 easy steps.

                    Connect with others.
                    .

                  • staigermanus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 8, 2009
                      I've seen this usually when the dimensions were unaccetable for AVI, such as not a multiple of 2 or 4 pixels in width or height. WHat dimensions in pixels are your images?

                      -Philip

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
                        338x191 so, not a multiple of 2. Guess I'll try that and see what happens.

                        Tiffanie

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
                          if that doesn't work you may need multiple of 4 or even 8. Depends on the codecs.

                          Which codec are you trying?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 9, 2009
                            Also, your results may vary depending on which player you're using. I had problems with the sample you sent me in MPC - movie player classic, and I'll check with a few others, Windows Media Player 11, Irfanview,... but it looks ok in Quicktime.

                            From Quicktime you could resize it to a better codec and dimension if you feel like it. It helps to have Quicktime Pro, or other conversion tools. I use ffmpeg too, and others. In fact I've been thinking about creating a frontend to convert AVI to Mpeg 4, Quicktime and others.... for free with ffmpeg.

                            Anyone else here has used ffmpeg?