Re: [dogme] MT

  • Jiri Brazda
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Simon Gill wrote:
      > I favour the OCCASIONAL and PRINCIPLED use of the mother tongue, but
      with the language being learned as a default setting...

      > pozdravy z Moravy:-)))
      >
      > Simon Gill

      Hey Simon&Co.

      Zdravim z Cech! (Now this was principled wasn't it?)

      I enjoyed your article in hltmag.co.uk as well as the ongoing discussion
      here because it's something I'm now trying to figure out for myself.

      Personally, I'm all for your approach of PRINCIPLED use of L1 but the
      frequency really depends on the context - who you teach and what. Low
      levels and some technical terms beg for use of L1.

      I used to teach English to Chinese native speakers in Malaysia and some
      of them were very very close to elementary. I could see it all rather
      ineffective when I was unable to deliver any sort of comprehensible
      input or get across some instructions.

      Now back in the Czech Republic, I've got elementary and lower
      intermediate business people and I originally thought 'as much English
      as possible, ie. English all the time' would greatly benefit my
      students. Big blunder! On a few occasions I went to great lengths to
      explain something in English only to FRUSTRATE my students and realize
      that 'a swift kick in Czech' would've done the job. After all, they
      asked for a Czech teacher for a reason.

      Incidentally, there's an excellent essay on the silent period here
      http://homepage3.nifty.com/park/silent.htm which argues for use of L1 by
      the students.

      Jiri
      http://czechefl.blogspot.com/