Teaching Language Online

  • jmbsdb1
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
      I have recently completed the University of London´s distance
      learning
      course "How to teach language online". It´s only a ten week
      course.
      I was amazed by how much I learned from my course tutors but above
      all
      from my fellow colleagues around the world. And all this took place
      in a virtual learning environment. If anybody else is interested
      please let me know and I´ll e.mail you the details katiek@....
    • A RANSON

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 11, 2005
          jmbsdb1 wrote:
          > I have recently completed the University of London´s distance
          > learning
          > course "How to teach language online". It´s only a ten week
          > course.
          > I was amazed by how much I learned from my course tutors but above
          > all
          > from my fellow colleagues around the world. And all this took place
          > in a virtual learning environment. If anybody else is interested
          > please let me know and I´ll e.mail you the details katiek@....

          Thanks. I've been planning to do this course for over a year now and
          have been putting it off for when my work load lightens up a little - an
          with 600 extra students in our department this term that may not be any
          time soon.

          I'd be interested to see the materials you have. What would you say is
          an optimal time commitment for this?

          Omar

          mailto: omar@...
        • jean godwin
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
            Hi,
            Could you please forward the details of the course mentioned below.
            Many thanks
            J godwin.

            jmbsdb1 <katiek@...> wrote:
            I have recently completed the University of London´s distance
            learning
            course "How to teach language online". It´s only a ten week
            course.
            I was amazed by how much I learned from my course tutors but above
            all
            from my fellow colleagues around the world. And all this took place
            in a virtual learning environment. If anybody else is interested
            please let me know and I´ll e.mail you the details katiek@....

          • Steve Walters
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
              Hi,
              Could you please forward the details of the course mentioned below.
              Many thanks

              At the risk of appearing a grumpy old sod, hasn't any body heard of
              google?

              Steve Walters

              Academic Director

              NILE 10TH Anniversary in 2005 - Join us in celebrating the success of
              the last 10 years

              Norwich Institute for Language Education

              82 Upper St Giles St

              Norwich NR2 1LT

              Phone 44 (0) 1603 664473

              Fax 44(0) 1603 664493

              www.nile-elt.com <http://www.nile-elt.com/>

              NILE's teachers' courses are eligible for Comenius funding

            • Ma. Leonor Corradi
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                I'd like that, too.
                Many thanks,
                Leonor
                > Could you please forward the details of the course mentioned below.
                > Many thanks
                > J godwin.
                >
                > jmbsdb1 <katiek@...> wrote:
                > I have recently completed the University of London´s distance
                > learning
                > course "How to teach language online". It´s only a ten week
                > course.
                > I was amazed by how much I learned from my course tutors but above
                > all
                > from my fellow colleagues around the world. And all this took place
                > in a virtual learning environment. If anybody else is interested
                > please let me know and I´ll e.mail you the details katiek@....

                > ---------------------------------

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Kevin Landry
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 14, 2005
                  They could probably find Osama Bin Laden if they just let Google take
                  care of it...

                  Stop sending us all email requests for the information. Just send
                  your mail to katie@... and spare the rest of the group the "could
                  you" requests.

                  On 14/09/05, Steve Walters <steve@...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > Could you please forward the details of the course mentioned below.
                  > Many thanks
                  >

                  > At the risk of appearing a grumpy old sod, hasn't any body heard of
                  > google?
                  >

                  > Steve Walters
                  >
                  > Academic Director
                  >

                  > NILE 10TH Anniversary in 2005 - Join us in celebrating the success of
                  > the last 10 years
                  >

                  > Norwich Institute for Language Education
                  >
                  > 82 Upper St Giles St
                  >
                  > Norwich NR2 1LT
                  >
                  > Phone 44 (0) 1603 664473
                  >
                  > Fax 44(0) 1603 664493
                  >
                  > www.nile-elt.com <http://www.nile-elt.com/>
                  >

                  > NILE's teachers' courses are eligible for Comenius funding

                  > Foreign language education English second language Spanish language and
                  > culture
                  > Second language acquisition

                  Kevin Landry
                  Full time Lecturer
                  Dept. of Liberal Arts
                  Hongik University

                  Facilitator
                  Teacher Education & Development
                  KOTESOL SIG
                • lamarea lamarea
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                    anybody who wants the supposed information about an online course that was done, please be aware this is only a publicity plug offering a course , pure marketing,,,

                    and not apppropriate in this group i should believe,,,

                    if i were katie k @..., i should try advertising somewhere else,,,

                    thumbs down,

                    melinda soltysiak

                    Kevin Landry <lklandry@...> wrote:
                    They could probably find Osama Bin Laden if they just let Google take
                    care of it...

                    Stop sending us all email requests for the information. Just send
                    your mail to katie@... and spare the rest of the group the "could
                    you" requests.

                    On 14/09/05, Steve Walters <steve@...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > Could you please forward the details of the course mentioned below.
                    > Many thanks
                    >

                    > At the risk of appearing a grumpy old sod, hasn't any body heard of
                    > google?
                    >

                    > Steve Walters
                    >
                    > Academic Director
                    >

                    > NILE 10TH Anniversary in 2005 - Join us in celebrating the success of
                    > the last 10 years
                    >

                    > Norwich Institute for Language Education
                    >
                    > 82 Upper St Giles St
                    >
                    > Norwich NR2 1LT
                    >
                    > Phone 44 (0) 1603 664473
                    >
                    > Fax 44(0) 1603 664493
                    >
                    > www.nile-elt.com <http://www.nile-elt.com/>
                    >

                    > NILE's teachers' courses are eligible for Comenius funding

                    > Foreign language education English second language Spanish language and
                    > culture
                    > Second language acquisition

                    Kevin Landry
                    Full time Lecturer
                    Dept. of Liberal Arts
                    Hongik University

                    Facilitator
                    Teacher Education & Development
                    KOTESOL SIG

                    ---------------------------------

                  • English for business
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                      I have just read Melinda´s comments to DOGME. I am sorry that you feel that it is inappropriate to plug the course in this way. I have just done this course and to be honest it was absolutely brilliant and we all learned a great deal about computer mediated communication (blogging, podcasting, VLEs) and creating learning communities online.

                      I know that most teachers are interested in developing themsevles professionally and this is a great opportunity for those who are unable to attend f2f courses.

                      Thumbs up I say. Katie

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                        lamarea lamarea wrote:
                        > anybody who wants the supposed information about an online course that
                        > was done, please be aware this is only a publicity plug offering a
                        > course , pure marketing,,,

                        Most of us here have probably been on professional lists whose posting
                        guidelines actually restricted the usefulness of the list.

                        If everything is a "plug", then perhaps we should also ban any mention
                        of books, research papers, articles, and conferences and everything else
                        that clutters up our chat space.

                        If you don't want information about this profession, then unsubscribe.

                        Omar
                      • getchan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                          But to turn this thread a bit in a bit of a different direction, one close to the center of my
                          teaching style LOL, has anyone experimented with dogme approaches and teaching
                          online?

                          Most of my teaching is blended e-learning (I teach Introduction to Computers, History and
                          English in Northern Japan) and now I'm trying to work on an online approach to student
                          reflection/student action research related to an English conversation class.

                          The challenge I want to give to the class is "How long can you carry on a conversation
                          using all (only) English."
                          So far I'm thinking of having the students video a 5 minute or so conversation, upload all
                          the videos and have them try to analyze good and bad conversation practices (habits).

                          After this I'd like them to choose one action they could take to better their ability to meet
                          the challenge and try it for a week or two. Finally they would evaluate the effectiveness of
                          their action (the research results part) and present their results to other students.

                          The video, practice of the action and discussion of results will be done in class but the
                          analysis will be done outside of class. I'm going to use a free open course course
                          management system built around social constructionist educational principles (if you'd like
                          to know which one ask me offline!!!) so the students can get lots of feedback from myself
                          and others in the class 24/7.

                          I'm wondering how much I should "pre-teach" about good practices/strategies for carrying
                          on conversations? Anyone tried something like this on or offline and could give me some
                          feedback?

                          Bob Gettings
                          Sapporo

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                            hi bob,

                            one of the techniques i use in my classes, both online and real, is have them frequently do conversations either taped or live in class,,,the first time, i just let them go and see what happens,,, after that, we review and handle their own suggestions,,,after that, we discuss conversational techniques,,,all of these oral bits are accompanied by a written summary, report, article , story, about the discussion point: holidays, weekends, processes, etc,,,the list is neverending,,,then, grammar correction and improving writing techniques. Another possibility is watching a short film, a tv program, or a tv commercial, and then discussing it,,,thus, using all language skills,,,,

                            just a few ideas, and if you would like, i would be interested in knowing more about the course management system you are in contact with,,,

                            cheers,

                            melinda soltysiak

                            getchan <gettings@...> wrote:
[...]

                          • Bob Gettings
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                              Thanks for the response to my question
                              On Sep 16, 2005, at 12:11 AM, lamarea lamarea wrote:
                              > hi bob,
                              >
                              > one of the techniques i use in my classes, both online and real,
                              What kind of online stuff do you do? Do you use the online
                              interaction in a dogmesque style?

                              > is have them frequently do conversations either taped or live in
                              > class,,, the first time, i just let them go and see what happens,,,

                              Do you mean that you just let them play back conversations and review
                              them without any formal or discussed response to what they are
                              reviewing? Not a negative response on my part just looking for info.

                              > after that, we review and handle their own suggestions,,,
                              This is what I'm really wondering about. Could you say a bit more
                              about the process of them reviewing and suggesting?

                              > after that, we discuss conversational techniques,,,
                              Also I'm wondering how directional I should be about this part. I was
                              thinking about making some conversation videos showing helpful and
                              unhelpful practices (in relation to the challenge of continuing a
                              conversation in English as much as possible) and maybe marking the
                              video at points with a question mark and asking students to evaluate
                              whether what was happening at the time was helpful or unhelpful and
                              why - maybe as a small group activity. How do you usually discuss
                              conversational techniques. Class discussions are usually not used in
                              Japanese classroom culture so often and the atmosphere in whole class
                              discussions gets real oppressive real fast.... Any ideas?

                              > just a few ideas, and if you would like, i would be interested in
                              > knowing more about the course management system you are in contact
                              > with,,,

                              Hmmmm... I'll send you the info off list LOL

                              But in relation to open source (free) software development a lot of
                              it is developed by communities of programmers and users who test the
                              programmers efforts. There is a lot of web based stuff being
                              developed (blogs, CMS, survey software) that seems like it would fit
                              into a dogmetic framework because it's focus is social interaction
                              and group construction of knowledge.
                            • diarmuid_fogarty
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                                --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, "getchan" <gettings@b...> wrote:
                                I'm going to use a free open course course
                                > management system built around social constructionist educational
                                principles (if you'd like
                                > to know which one ask me offline!!!) so the students can get lots
                                of feedback from myself
                                > and others in the class 24/7.
                                >
                                > I'm wondering how much I should "pre-teach" about good
                                practices/strategies for carrying
                                > on conversations?

                                Hi Bob
                                I guess it depends on how close to social constructivism you want to
                                get. I assume that access to the programme will be restricted to
                                students? If so, surely any pre-teaching might preempt any good
                                practice/strategies that emerge from the environment within which the
                                student find themselves. Of course, if you are also a member of the
                                group and you get irked/confused/etc by the conversations, this would
                                be a good moment to suggest alternative strategies that the group
                                would then choose to accept/reject/disregard etc.

                                If, on the other hand, the students will be in an environment that
                                has already established its own good practice/strategies, then I
                                would suggest that it would be your duty to inform them of what they
                                need to know.

                                Thanks a million for getting us away from the downward spiral of "Me
                                too" postings! ;)

                                Diarmuid
                              • Bob Gettings
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 15, 2005
                                  Thanks for your comments!
                                  On Sep 16, 2005, at 1:46 AM, diarmuid_fogarty wrote:

                                  > --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, "getchan" <gettings@b...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm wondering how much I should "pre-teach" about good
                                  > practices/strategies for carrying
                                  > > on conversations?
                                  >
                                  > Hi Bob
                                  > I guess it depends on how close to social constructivism you want to
                                  > get.
                                  But isn't dogme a social constructivist kind of way of thinking about
                                  learning/teaching? I guess I'd like to do things as dgmetically as
                                  possible to explore the +/-s of using e-learning with strong dogme
                                  overtones. Heavy on e-learning and also heavy on dogme - not quite
                                  100% on either but as close as possible!

                                  The main reason for the e-learning is that students can look at the
                                  videos of their conversations anytime they can use the internet
                                  (school or home) and I can also read their analysis and give feedback
                                  right away rather than waiting for the next class. Passing pieces of
                                  paper back and forth seems so restrictive. (Plus I'm a geek! I just
                                  like using computers LOL)

                                  > I assume that access to the programme will be restricted to
                                  > students?
                                  I'm not sure how this connects to the next sentence "If so..." but
                                  the online setup is a kind of class community approach. I've chosen
                                  to restrict people from outside the school from entering the
                                  community mainly because of privacy concerns but any of the 5000
                                  students at the college could theoretically choose to join in.
                                  Students in the class have unrestricted access to the materials, they
                                  can proceed through the practice at their own pace - video a
                                  conversation -> analyze -> decide an action to practice -> evaluate
                                  the efficacy of the action_practice -> back to the start again if
                                  they choose. They can also jump around and do things out of sequence
                                  (for the most part).

                                  > If so, surely any pre-teaching might preempt any good
                                  > practice/strategies that emerge from the environment within which the
                                  > student find themselves.
                                  That's what I'm really afraid of. I'm also as interested in learning
                                  how they conceptualize their own conversation practices as in helping
                                  them improve their skills.

                                  > Of course, if you are also a member of the
                                  > group and you get irked/confused/etc by the conversations, this would
                                  > be a good moment to suggest alternative strategies that the group
                                  > would then choose to accept/reject/disregard etc.

                                  Unfortunately, I'm almost always an outsider! Or a friendly coach
                                  that is available for advice when they want it. I like to keep the
                                  feeling of the class conversation time casual and friendly. Generally
                                  speaking, in Japanese classroom culture a group over 4 people in size
                                  picks up a formal kind of feeling that stifles spontaneity or free
                                  conversation. An ominous pall of silence settles over the room LOL So
                                  my concept is students would take a video of a 5 minute free
                                  conversation with one partner and analyze strategies that would help
                                  them increase English use decrease Japanese use in the conversation.

                                  > If, on the other hand, the students will be in an environment that
                                  > has already established its own good practice/strategies, then I
                                  > would suggest that it would be your duty to inform them of what they
                                  > need to know.
                                  Oh no! The first intensive conversation class environment most of
                                  them have been in is my class!! I might learn something about the
                                  effectiveness of my teaching if I don't pre-teach strategies.

                                  Maybe we'll try it without pre-teaching, then I'll read their
                                  they are having a tough time with the analysis... Maybe a demo
                                  conversation video with good and bad practices marked with a question
                                  mark and students being asked "What happened here in the
                                  conversation? Was it helpful or not? Would you use the same strategy?
                                  What would you do to keep the conversation in all English?" Maybe
                                  also a list of "Strategies many people use in conversation"
                                  somewhere. I like the idea of students accepting/rejecting/
                                  disregarding alternative strategies ("my teaching" !!!) ... or to say
                                  it in a softer way, choosing the strategies that seem to work best
                                  for them LOL

                                  Thanks for the feedback!
                                • diarmuid_fogarty
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 16, 2005
                                    Sorry for lack of clarity, Bob, I'll put it down to time constraints
                                    and being a crap writer!

                                    What I meant to say was that if the experiment means allowing students
                                    to occupy their OWN Brand New World on the internet, it might be closer
                                    to the principle of social constructivism if you sat back and watch as
                                    the students' own ideas about good practice and acceptable
                                    commiunication strategies began to emerge. If you were a member of the
                                    group, you too would be in a good position to offer suggestions.

                                    On the other hand, if students were posting up things onto the wider
                                    www, they would need to be familiar with the good practice and standard
                                    rules in advance.

                                    Diarmuid