Re: [dogme] Practical

  • Diarmuid Fogarty
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
      Adrian wrote: With lower level classes on the other hand I
      have found that the students produce so much language for me to throw
      back to them to work with that I can generate whole 3 hour lessons from
      one 10 minute activity.

      What I need help with is knowing *how* to throw language back to the students. Obviously everybody has different styles, but I'd love to hear them. Any help?
    • sthornbury@wanadoo.es
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        From a review about primate behaviour in the latest London Review
        of Books:

        "In fact, most of the life skills that people learn are not deliberately
        taught. McGrew cites a study of the fifty basic skills of Aka
        pygmies, almost all learned without active teaching. Teaching, he
        points out, is a last resort: time-consuming, prone to error.
        Teaching is for the frills of life: really important skills are learned
        outside school. They are absorbed from watching others, or from
        trial and error 'play' in the company of others. They can be as
        simple as how to use chopsticks, as complicated as tracking an
        antelope, as fundamental as learning to talk".

        And as learning a second language, I dare say.

        Dogme moments as "trial and error play in the company of
        others"? Discuss.
        :) Scott