Re: [dogme] St. Augustine

  • Graham Thomsen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      (Thank you Jane for the quote)

      As St Augustine is comparing L1 and L2 learning I don't see a compelling
      reason to conclude "Intermental before Intramental" for all L2 learners.

      Nonetheless I guess we'd all go along with his conclusion:
      "...it is sufficiently clear that a free curiosity is more effective in
      learning than a discipline based on fear."

      The fascinating question is how to awaken curiosity for L2. Those teaching
      English are lucky in this respect compared to those brave people who teach
      German or Latin to English schoolchildren.

      Graham
    • Fiona
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        Graham, I know what you mean, I presume you're referring to the
        inflections - declensions........

        But I did five years of Latin at school (and I ain't THAT old!!) and
        had no problems after we changed teacher.
        In first year (aged 11), I had a teacher who took it on herself to
        explain to us what a dative, gentive etc are. I still have very little
        idea what an ablative is or was, so that was obviously a waste of class
        time.
        In second year, we had an inspired new, young Latin teacher who decided
        we should imagine we were Romans and write a magazine for our peers -
        but in Latin. We could write about anything we wanted. These were the
        days of later Monty Python (no-one expects the Spanish Inquistion being
        quite appropriate nowadays too...), so Python went Latin. We read
        Asterix and Tintin in Latin for homework. We drew maps and learned
        about stuffed hamster and wooden false teeth. The next teacher who came
        along had the task of dealing with Caesar's campaigns and Virgil, but
        it worked too - blood, guts, sex, romance - I remember spending hours
        in the school library reading up on Medusa and Leda etc. Somewhere
        along the line we fitted in the endings, more based on "if it's here in
        the sentence or an 'ad' is in front of it, it looks like 'no minibus'.

        German, well, alas........... but it's not the language per se, it's
        the interest-level and the teacher's ability to create that interest
        where it's missing (ie in the secondary classroom, in the case of your
        posting.)

        Enjoy your workers' day! It's Mothers' Day here too, so to those of you
        like Jane, double hug for working Mums! Ahem.

        Fiona