Zosia's query

  • Graham S Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi

      Just following on from Rob's message about the Global Issues SIG -
      absolutely, I think if Zosia's question were raised there, it'd generate
      quite a lot of interest (not that it won't here, of course). Mind you, i
      think that about half the dogme and GISIG discussions realte to each other
      in some way (not that I'm counting

      cheers

      Graham

      From: "zosia grudzinska" <zosia_g@...>
      2. Zosia's query
      From: "Robert M. Haines" <haines@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:41:08 +0100
      From: "zosia grudzinska" <zosia_g@...>
      Subject: Re: EFL = Earn F-ing Lots (of dosh)

      Dr Evil wrote:
      > the majority of EFL (or more acurately - Englisgh as a school
      language) is
      > taught by non-native teachers in state schools. Many of these teachers
      have
      > 5 year degrees and teaching qualifications, and many are incredibly
      > dedicated spending time and money (which they have little of) on
      continuing
      > to develop.

      hear, hear!

      thanks, Dr Not-so Evil. On behalf of the "dedicated although
      impoverished"
      group of public education NNS TEFLers I am deeply grateful for your
      appreciation.

      Know what, just today as I was driving to school admiring the incredible
      beauty of the arctic winter landscape (teaching NorthEast of Poland
      sometimes feels like the Arctic, global warming notwithstanding!) I was
      reflecting on the fact taht quite often I feel the lines of the
      professional
      discourse crossed/crossing - many of the participants belong to the
      private
      sector, EFL teaching for those individuals who have made a special
      decision
      to attend the course in their spare time and who are paying money...
      who, on
      top of that, often "begin" having already had the benefit of a few or
      more
      years of public school instruction. Thus, the "learner" in mind is:
      adult
      or at least teenage, often coming from the middle-class background,
      motivated to the extent of volunteering to learn (although I do realize
      that
      this is not necessarily identical with authentic dedication to the
      cause...)
      my typical "learner" is: a young kid or a teenager, forced to attend
      school,
      which is mostly a crowded, user-unfriendly institution; only occasionaly
      highly intelligent or possessing an aptitude for languages. still,
      whatever
      the limitations, everyone deserves the best quality instruction.
      naturally,
      though, the curriculum, format and content will not be similar to those
      of a
      typical language school (to best suit the learner's needs and
      circumstances).
      it would be itneresting to delve into the issue - how does/should the
      learning/teaching process differ to best accomodate the differences
      outlined?
      Zosia

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:16:30 -0800
      From: "Robert M. Haines" <haines@...>
      Subject: Zosia's query

      Dear Zosia,

      Your query about education could well be taken up on the Global Issues
      SIG as well as dogme if you're interested.

      content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
      to be clean.

      The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
      Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

      ====
      This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
      confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
      no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
      to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
      from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
      under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
      therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
      This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
      Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
      losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.