dogme and the elephant man

  • sthornbury@wanadoo.es
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 9:48 AM
      Just to report on Luke's and my dogme presentation at the TESOL
      Spain conference in Seville this weekend. Took place in the
      university, once a cigarette factory, in a huge tiered lecture theatre
      that reminded Luke of that scene in The Elephant Man. Packed to
      the gills with people, overflowing onto the floor and aisles. Very
      difficult to do an interactive workshop, with me trying to weave into
      the audience and milk it like Graham Norton, while Luke was stuck
      at the blackboard, unable to catch what people were saying so as
      to be able to convert them into mini-teaching points. Somehow we
      managed though, and actually never made the dogme analogy
      once - but got some interesting talk from the back benches even if
      some of the activities fell a bit flat.

      The next gig is Brighton on April 20th, where we'll be doing more of
      a panel thing, with Graham and David F. as well. Any ideas from
      you lot on how we might structure it? How soon should we throw it
      open to q and a? (we've got 70 mins). Should we demo activities, or
      just read extracts from the website, or both? How much theory and
      history to include? Should we read out the ELT Vow of
      Chastity???? Should we be outspokenly anti-coursebook? Shoudl
      we mention names! All suggestions and advice welcome...
    • Tom Walton
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 2:35 AM
        Maybe, to make it as "interactive" as possible, you could begin by showing
        them a dozen or so "rules", some of which could be the dogme (or Lucy) ones,
        and some not, and ask them to decide in groups which they would reject and
        to justify that choice. I'm sure you could bung in a few from well-known
        Teacher's Books which merit assignment to the scrap heap.

        From then on to general discussion and, at the end, some reportage and
        suggested illustrative activities.

        As feedback on the session, perhaps you could have someone sit at the the
        front and assess from facial expressions how many look at you as if you
        really were the elephant man?

        Tom Walton