Right! Now...

  • kellogg59@hanmail.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
      All:
      You know those moments when the teacher says something like:

      Right! Now....
      OK! Let's...
      And now for something completely different....

      My hypothesis, which I am going to have the kids test on our
      next classroom observation project, is that these moments occur much
      less frequently (if at all) in "dogme" classes (and by extension in
      classes where the stress is on TEACHER-SOMEBODY and SOMEBODY-SOMEBODY
      interaction rather than TEACHER-EVERYBODY interaction).
      In the past year on this list, we have given a rather
      disproportionate amount of energy to the criticism of materials and
      pedagogical materialism. Well, not disproportionate, considering what
      we are up against, but disproportionate considering all the other
      ideas that are implicit in Scott's initial article.
      One I would like to develop is his criticism of "grammar
      McNuggets". I think implicit in this is the idea that the smallest
      teachable unit of language is NOT a sample sentence, but a unit of
      discourse, that is, an exchange between two human beings. This is the
      elusive "teach-eme" that Fanselow was looking for; it's in this that
      you find all the properties of language that we obfuscate with terms
      like "natural", "real", and "authentic communiction".
      But does discourse come in McNuggets? Or are the units simply
      artefacts of description? Or are they something in between,
      like "species"? I mean, species do exist, but only after the fact of
      evolution. Nature does not ever say "And now for something completely
      different....!"

      DK