Re: [dogme] Can successful communication be defined? by who?

  • sthornbury@wanadoo.es
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 1, 2003
      For my money, this is as good a definition as you can get (from
      Puchta and Schratz, 1991, Teaching teenagers):

      "Process in teaching and learning is principally a matter of the
      quality of communication between teacher and students and,
      especially, between students. If the participants are being both
      frank and considerate, independent yet cooperative, and are
      speaking willingly and comprehensibly to particular listeners about
      things that matter to them both, then the quality of communication
      is high". [Puchta and Schratz 1993: 3]

      I often contrast it with this quote (from Legutke and Thomas:
      Processand experience in the language classroom, 1991):

      "In spite of trendy jargon in textbooks and teacher's manuals, very
      little is actually communicated in the L2 classroom. The way it is
      structured does not seem to stimulate the wish of learners to say
      something, nor does it tap what they might have to say. ...
      Learners do not find room to speak as themselves, to use language
      in communicative encounters, to create text, to stimulate
      problems."

      Then along came Dogme!
    • dogme@yahoogroups.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 16, 2012
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the dogme
        group.

        File : /seekingjustification.pdf
        Uploaded by : mcjsa <mcjsa@...>
        Description : S Krashen - Seeking a Justification for Skill-Building, paper delivered at KOTESOL Oct 2011

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        mcjsa <mcjsa@...>