Re: [dogme] Quintessental dogme practice

  • sthornbury@wanadoo.es
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2003
      Dennis asked: So: is dogme practice also low-tech, learner-centred
      and learning/acquisition driven?

      Scott says: yes.

      Dennis, btw, somewhat belittles the impact of his own contribution
      to that session in Brighton. In responding to Leni Damm's rather
      startling suggestion that Luke and I had cobbled the whole thing
      together in the car (my fault for jokingly but irresponsibly implying
      as much) Dennis sagely pointed out that dogme is not so much
      about preparing, as being prepared. Or words to that effect
      (Dennis, please correct, amend). With this insight, aphorism, or
      koan even, to meditate on, the session was brought to a
      triumphant close. Thanks, Dennis.

      Incidentally, Leni Damm is, and has been, one of the most
      influential voices in the learner autonomy movement, going back to
      the eighties and earlier (David French, please come in). Her
      presence at the dogme session was significant and affirming, and,
      characteristically, memorable. We talked afterwards, and hatched
      the idea of a possible joint pre-conference session for next year -
      dogme meets learner automony, or some such. Any takers?

      Scott
    • Adrian Tennant
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2003
        Scott,

        Yes. Count me in.

        Dr Evil

        > Incidentally, Leni Damm is, and has been, one of the most
        > influential voices in the learner autonomy movement, going back to
        > the eighties and earlier (David French, please come in). Her
        > presence at the dogme session was significant and affirming, and,
        > characteristically, memorable. We talked afterwards, and hatched
        > the idea of a possible joint pre-conference session for next year -
        > dogme meets learner automony, or some such. Any takers?
        >
        > Scott
      • Robert M. Haines
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2003
          Scott and Adrian,

          Can we hold the session here in beautiful Portland, Oregon? ...please?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2003
            " We talked afterwards, and hatched
            the idea of a possible joint pre-conference session for next
            year - dogme meets learner automony, or some such. Any
            takers? Scott "

            I'll be sitting in the front row.

            Dennis
          • zosia grudzinska
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2003
              Scott wrote:

              We talked afterwards, and hatched
              > the idea of a possible joint pre-conference session for next year -
              > dogme meets learner automony, or some such. Any takers?

              As David mentioned in his post, I am also thrilled by the idea - there was
              never a slightest doubt in my mind that dogme and autonomy are basically
              birds of a feather... (or some such). That is, hard to imagine a teacher
              obsessed with resources, handouts, testing aids, visual prompts produced on
              cue... not having his or her hidden agenda since the very act of choosing
              the aids betrays deciding on the topic/form/aim of the teaching/learning
              activity without consulting the active factor ie. learners; or otherwise,
              robbing the learner from the opportunity to develop creativity, like
              stulting children's art ability by always insisting they colour ready
              patterns instead of smearing paints freely on the sheet...
              Hard to imagine the dogmetic teacher neglecting the learner's needs whether
              planned ahead or arising on the spot.
              I know I cannot write as wisely as some of you great guys on the list - just
              following your debates make my head spin sometimes, but my force is
              practicality and I can see a great benefit in organising a joint event of
              "Autogme"

              Zosia
            • Guzide EGILMEZ
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2003