Must

  • Adrian Tennant
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 12:51 AM
      After having returned from a week training etc in Uzbekistan I come back to
      over 30 Dogme mails as well as all the others. So, it takes me a few days to
      read them all - therefore, if anyone else has picked up on this one, sorry.

      Guiripoet said:

      > When I did the DELTA I had to prepare a class with material from a book
      about 'must' for deduction. So I decided to tape some friends doing a
      brain-teaser puzzle from the coursebook, where you had to speculate about a
      whodunnit mystery. They didn't use 'must' once, NOT ONCE, not for
      speculation or anything else, in the course of a tape maybe 10 minutes long
      (they used 'has/had to' and 'has got to' depending on how close they thought
      they were to the solution). So much for the textbook.

      Sure, Steve. One reason for this is that most coursebooks (and coursebook
      writers) stll don't use Corpora to inform their language choice. Instead
      they rely on Grammar books, often old ones, which again do not use Corpora.
      It's always amused me to see 'will' being 'taught' through the context of
      Weather Forecasts. If you actually tape/watch British forecasts they use
      'going to' as frequently and modals such as 'might', 'could', 'should' etc
      far more frequently.

      I think it's important always to ask yourself on what data are grammar books
      and coursebooks based?

      Dr Evil.