Friday 23 June

  • David French
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Could I put forward Friday 23 June as a day for a Dogme get-together in London?
      Luke, can you do something about the venue?

      I'd like to acknowledge Graham's efforts to synthesise various different
      messages and then give his own spin on it. Graham, I like the way you
      collaborate with the learners so that they can get more aware about their ways
      of learning, finding out what works etc. "your thinking critically about
      learning and finding your own way". I don't care for the phrase learner
      training, which you mentioned, either

      Yesterday I asked my class of 30, 40, 50 year-old paint factory ladies after 11
      lessons (beginners or just false beginners) to make a list of the different
      activities we've done in class over the 11 weeks. Then they had to give one or
      two stars to their favourite activities.

      They like putting together conversations, in pairs and then as a group, but they
      decidedly don't like being recorded (which differs from other groups). They like
      spelling in English, playing matching word-card games, my recorded monologues.
      They also like looking for English in the world around them on TV, wrappers,
      sweatshirts etc. As far as grammar goes, they don't miss not having a
      coursebook, they are happy to have a recap on something like a tense or
      constructing questions from time to time, but not too often (different again
      from my other beginner class).

      My copy of IATEFL Issues arrived yesterday. I'd like to find out why it took so
      long to get to me. Scott, when did yours arrive? I still need to read through
      the pieces again and then I'll give my impressions. Responses to various stuff
      by Scott take up about 3 pages!

      All for now.

      David