Re: [dogme] Closing the door

  • Diarmuid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      If we can forget about Ug for one moment and consider the people who simply want to browse our site without the hassle of joining, do we really want to alienate those people simply because some wannabe Neanderthal calls us wankers?

      I am sure that hiding behind Ug's brashness are some important questions and the fact that he came back for more shows that he is interested in finding some answers or at least providing a challenge.

      If he'd actually had to join to raise his concerns, isn't there a chance that he would have just thought, 'Ug-ug-ug-ug'* and we would have all been the worse off for his lack of insight...no, really...

      And I think there's a wider principle at play here too. I like to think of dogme as a movement rather than a group. Anybody can be in the movement including those who don't even know about it (surely the most effective dogme practitioners). Bruce Lee is part of dogme and he's dead (probably). Once we limit ourselves to being a Members' Only club, we are shutting the door to potential friends as well as inarticulate detractors.

      * F * * k that for a game of soldiers.