NPR had an item on tech in the classroom

  • John Warner
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2013
      Dear Dogme,

      I saw this this morning from NPR (in the USA) about technology in the
      classroom I was wondering about people's thoughts on this.

      http://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/173372736/teaching-2-0-is-tech-in-the-classroom-worth-the-cost

      I like to use real radio clips with my advanced conversation students so we
      can discuss the topics.

      In friendship,

      John

    • Eric Roth
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Dear John - Thanks for sharing that NPR segment that seems more concerned
        with the digital gap than encouraging creativity, sharing knowledge, or
        opening minds. It continues to stun me how often liberal journalists, who
        ought to be on the forefront of deploying innovative technologies in their
        classes and encouraging students to be autotelic, end up sounding like
        Luddites. The internet presents astonishing possibilities to reduce
        illiteracy, expand knowledge beyond traditional centers of wealth and
        power, and transform the lives of hundreds of millions. Yet, as so often,
        the NPR reporter seems fixatated on the idea that some smart teachers in
        wealthier districts will more quickly adopt the 2.0 tools. Do we really
        have to wait for everyone before anyone can move forward? Where does this
        ideological fervor come from???

        --
        Shalom,

        Eric H. Roth
        Co- Publisher, Chimayo Press <http://www.ChimayoPress.com>
        Co-author of Compelling Conversations<http://www.CompellingConversations.com>
        eric@...
        www.CompellingConversations.com

        Chimayo Press
        3766 Redwood Ave.
        Los Angeles, CA 90066-3506
        USA

        "Education is an ornament in prosperity, and a refuge in adversity."
        Aristotle