Re: Text improvement - Brain storming

  • peterhnly
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2013
      I followed the link to Michel Thomas and...I have no clue what I am doing any more. I transcribed 30 minutes of his course that I found on Youtube, followed it word for word with a class, and... I have never experienced such a positive reaction from students... ever!...

      > Hi
      >
      > This little interactive webtext tool for the projector or white board may be of interest.
      >
      > The featured simple text is marked in word groups according to function and meaning.
      >
      > e.g. Things, people or ideas = red
      >
      > Places, Manner or Time = blue
      >
      > Doing or being (i.e.verbs) = green
      >
      > The text can be hovered on with the mouse and word groups light up in the appropriate colours. By double clicking on a group it can be edited and improved.
      >
      > e.g. (a new camera) = ( a new expensive digital double reflex camera)
      >
      > or ( On Monday ) = (On Easter Monday last year)
      >
      > I've been trying this out with an EFL class in a relaxed brainstorming manner before they attempt to write their own versions based on the text. They are always motivated and often laugh at the hilarious suggestions of others. No mention of grammar, vocabulary or conjugation at all.
      >
      > Is this dogme by stealth? The tool is only experimental as of yet but I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback. For details of marking up other original texts please contact me via the webpage.
      >
      > (PS: doesn't work properly on tablets yet, use a proper PC if interested)
      >
      > BTW: Has anyone heard of the late Michael Thomas? He made a fortune teaching English to rich clients using a relaxed non-formal teaching method from what I can see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jhy7ZQC38
      >
      > Worth a look.
      >
      > Alan

    • judykirsh
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
        Hi

        Michel Thomas is fascinating. From what I've seen and heard, I think his method is essentially a mix of different approaches, combined and delivered in a relaxed, non-threatening, informal way - designed to lower the 'affective filter': audio-lingual, lexical chunks, meaning focused and translation. I found it interesting to see the way he used translation in the videos ... but how does that work with multilingual groups?

        There has also been a lot of criticism of his method over the years - what about reading and writing (and listening)? How do learners progress beyond a superficial level of fluency? And are there connections between his method and dogme?

        (sorry for all the questions!)

        Judy

        --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, "peterhnly" wrote:

        > I followed the link to Michel Thomas and...I have no clue what I am doing any more. I transcribed 30 minutes of his course that I found on Youtube, followed it word for word with a class, and... I have never experienced such a positive reaction from students... ever!...
        > >
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > This little interactive webtext tool for the projector or white board may be of interest.
        > >
        > > The featured simple text is marked in word groups according to function and meaning.
        > >
        > > e.g. Things, people or ideas = red
        > >
        > > Places, Manner or Time = blue
        > >
        > > Doing or being (i.e.verbs) = green
        > >
        > > The text can be hovered on with the mouse and word groups light up in the appropriate colours. By double clicking on a group it can be edited and improved.
        > >
        > > e.g. (a new camera) = ( a new expensive digital double reflex camera)
        > >
        > > or ( On Monday ) = (On Easter Monday last year)
        > >
        > > I've been trying this out with an EFL class in a relaxed brainstorming manner before they attempt to write their own versions based on the text. They are always motivated and often laugh at the hilarious suggestions of others. No mention of grammar, vocabulary or conjugation at all.
        > >
        > > Is this dogme by stealth? The tool is only experimental as of yet but I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback. For details of marking up other original texts please contact me via the webpage.
        > >
        > > (PS: doesn't work properly on tablets yet, use a proper PC if interested)
        > >
        > > BTW: Has anyone heard of the late Michael Thomas? He made a fortune teaching English to rich clients using a relaxed non-formal teaching method from what I can see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jhy7ZQC38
        > >
        > > Worth a look.
        > >
        > > Alan

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
          Hi

          I think this is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier post about 'concerns about dogme'.

          Let's take the example about I how I personally learnt German. I attended night school where we were presented with tabular lists of indefinite articles according to Nominative, Dative, Accusative etc... I could never get it! After learning German for real after moving to Switzerland (albeit with a strange dialect) it all suddenly made sense.

          Therefore Michaels method is the staring point, as would be a dogme approach. The formal stuff can be gradually introduced as learners feel confident. My own slant on that gradual bridging is in the form of 'Function Grammar? See: http://manxman.ch/moodle2/

          These blogs may be of interest : http://susanpricesblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_4.html

          Alan