Susan Hillyard: English in Action. Teaching English through Drama in Special Schools in Argentina

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2013
      Dear members of evoline, GISIG, learningwithcomputers and Dogme, although
      the subject of this message is not central to your list's primary focus of
      interest, I would like to share the link to Susan Hillyard's presentation
      for YLTSIG on Teaching English through Drama in Special Schools in
      Argentina in the belief that it may well interest some of you.

      || If my assumption is wrong, please delete here. ||

      Dennis (Newson)

      I am delighted after an overlong delay to be able to announce that the
      recording of Susan Hillyard's presentation in the IATEFL YLTSIG online
      series can now be released : *English in Action. Teaching English through
      Drama in Special Schools in Argentina *.

      http://vimeo.com/56467297

      I warmly recommend this 90 minute recording. This is partly because of
      Susan's inspiring and energizing presentation on the work she and her team
      of 17 teachers have done with groups of severely deprived and disturbed
      children. This includes the ill and terminally ill, children from
      orphanages, those from schools in economically deprived areas, those with
      severe behavioural problems and those with an array of learning
      difficulties. But it is also because, in my view, she and her colleagues
      demonstrate irrefutably how excellent results can be achieved for all
      young foreign language learners by:

      - employing an approach to foreign language teaching based centrally on
      the needs, including the emotional needs of the learner and not on an
      externally imposed text-book driven syllabus,

      - seeing foreign language learning not as a matter of doing grammar
      rules and exercises and learning vocabulary but as an opportunity to
      establish and build up a learner's self-confidence and sense of individual
      worth working with aspects of language - rhythm and story telling, for
      example - and using drama techniques as possible routes into self
      expression and meaningful communication.

      As Susan herself says: " These approaches are not just for the
      disadvantaged. They are really best practice. They work with the gifted,
      too."

      *Dennis Newson*
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
      Committee member | Discussion List Manager, YLTSIG Online | IATEFL YLT SIG
      Creator: YLTSIG NING <http://ylandtsig.ning.com/>

      Committee member IATEFL GISIG

      Winner British Council ELT 05 Innovation Award
      Unrepentant grammarophobe
      YLTSIG Website <http://www.yltsig.org/>

      Yahoogroups YLTSIG: Subscribe: <:younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

      YLTSIG Wiki resources:<http://yltsigwikiresource.pbworks.com/w/page/33485130/FrontPage>