Re: [dogme] CELTA course trainee

  • adriana bausells
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hi Rob!
      Thanks for the advice, it sure was helpful and I will make sure I go back to it during the course, as I'm certain by then I will be able to make even more sense out of it. And I will do as you say and have a look at previous posts.
      Thanks again!
      Adri

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hello Adriana,

        Like Rob, I did my CELTA sometime ago and currently have one of my instructors taking the course. The only advise I gave him was 1) be prepared to work very hard, 2) do all that was asked of him and, most importantly,3)  do it exactly as the course tutors want whether he agrees or not. His experience may be different from yours as he has been teaching EFL to primary and university students for the past eight years, is academically minded, and has studied ESL methodology and teaches it.  However, he has reported that my advice was spot on, that the course is "challenging " and that, yes, the tutors, although competent and friendly, definitely want things done there way.
        Good luck!

        ML

        ________________________________

> [...]

        I'm sure I've made some assumptions and omitted things here that you, your tutors and peers will discover during the course. So please share your experience with us when you can.

        And let's hope other list members chime it soon!

        Best of luck to you, Adri!

        Rob

        On Oct 31, 2012, at 7:42 AM, adriana wrote:

        > Hey all!
        > I'm Adriana, I just joined the group and I'm about to begin with my CELTA challenge, the course starting next Monday. I'm really looking forward to it and I really believe I'm ready, although it does seem a little intimidating!
        > Any advice from anyone who has already taken the course will be much appreciated!

      • adriana bausells
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
          Hello ML!

          Thanks for your email, that's great to know! I will take your advice very much into account :)

          Good luck with everything!

          Adri

          ________________________________

> [...]

          I'm sure I've made some assumptions and omitted things here that you, your tutors and peers will discover during the course. So please share your experience with us when you can.

          And let's hope other list members chime it soon!

          Best of luck to you, Adri!

          Rob

          On Oct 31, 2012, at 7:42 AM, adriana wrote:

          > Hey all!
          > I'm Adriana, I just joined the group and I'm about to begin with my CELTA challenge, the course starting next Monday. I'm really looking forward to it and I really believe I'm ready, although it does seem a little intimidating!
          > Any advice from anyone who has already taken the course will be much appreciated!

        • Rita Baker
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2012
            To anybody planning to do CELTA - one of the biggest challenges is to be able to identify and understand the segment of language that you're preparing to teach, let alone how to present it. Two people who I now employ did the CELTA two years ago, and although they performed well on the course, still had enormous gaps in their overall knowledge. I took them through our own training programme before I would let them loose on students and they both wished they'd had that input first so that they could have spent more time on planning delivery (during the course) than trying to understand the workings of the language for themselves at the same time. Most CELTA courses are not 'Dogme' friendly. I'm now making my own programme available on line. It is designed to provide the 'scaffolding' that you need for a dogme approach. If you're interested to see what it's all about sign in at www.theglobalapproach.co.uk<http://www.theglobalapproach.co.uk> to receive a link to the first session and pdf downloads. This is a work in progress so I'm producing the rest of the sessions as fast as I can. Would be grateful for feedback.

            Rita

            Rita Baker | BA.Hons; PGCE TEFL; FRSA | Director of Training
            Lydbury English Centre Ltd. Shropshire SY7 8AU
            Tel: +44 (0)1588 681 000 | Mob: +44 (0)7785 274 270
            Skype: lydbury | linkedin.lydbury.co.uk<http://linkedin.lydbury.co.uk/> | lydbury.co.uk<www.lydbury.co.uk>
            Twitter: @lydbury<http://www.twitter.com/lydbury> | Facebook: /LydburyEnglishCentre<http://www.facebook.com/LydburyEnglishCentre>

            ___