Dogme Research book update

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2012
      We have received a good number of proposals so far for this project (see
      below) and - although the deadline has expired - we're happy to extend
      it for a bit longer while we process the proposals we have already got.
      Another two or three more would round it out nicely.

      Book proposal - an edited collection of papers

      Working Title: Researching Dogme

      deal of
      discussion and debate over the last ten or more years: online (by means
      of a
      very active discussion list and a recent proliferation of blogs), at
      conferences
      (including a monographic conference in Barcelona this year) and in
      print, as
      well as having inspired a handful of MA dissertations and at least one
      resource
      book. Yet little or no classroom research into how dogme is implemented,
      and its
      impact on learners and other stakeholders, has appeared in print in all
      this
      time. This collection aims to remedy this situation. It will include at
      least a
      dozen reports of research, in a variety of contexts and conducted with a
      range
      of age groups and class types, that deal with such themes as: curriculum
      negotiation, course design, reactive teaching, classroom interaction,
      learner
      and teacher autonomy, teacher education, motivation and other affective
      factors,
      language emergence, ESP, critical pedagogy, and situated learning.
      Research
      methodologies will likely include action research, interaction analysis,
      ethnographic and narrative inquiry, and curriculum evaluation, among
      others.

      There will also be an introduction, outlining the origins and evolution
      of Dogme
      ELT, situating it within a naturalistic and emergentist language
      learning
      paradigm that shares space with task-based learning, content-based
      learning,
      whole language learning, as well as aligning with a longer tradition in
      education dating back to at least John Dewey (and the notion of
      experiential
      learning) and including such progressive and critical educationalists as
      Sylvia
      Ashton-Warner, Célestin Freinet,and Paulo Freire.

      In addition, there will be an Afterword that will gather together key
      issues
      raised in, and implications derived from, the studies themselves, as
      well as
      suggesting pointers for future research and development. There will be a
      bibliography and index.

      Editors: 1. Scott Thornbury (The New School, NY) 2. Gabriel Diaz
      Maggioli (The New School, NY)

      Publication date: April 2014.

      Prospective contributors should submit an outline of their research
      proposal
      (about 500 words), as well as brief biographical data.

      It is suggested that any earned royalties be donated to a charity
      jointly agreed
      by the contributors.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2012
        Scott will be submitting when i get off this train in 5 hours Dennis