The coursebook

  • J
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      Ive been covering a class (4 adults at elementary level) for 3 weeks and am scheduled to continue to do so until the end of this month. There had only been 2 classes before I took over and so no coursebook had been chosen, or so I thought.

      I decided that in the absence of a coursebook I'd use this as an opportunity to try out and develop my Dogme. The students seem to be engaged and motivated and there's certainly language emerging, but the fact that they are willingly talking/trying to talk to one another in English has been enough to persuade me that Im on the right track with this group at this time.

      So yesterday I was told by the person responsible for this class that the coursebooks had arrived. But Im not using a coursebook, I replied. Yes but the teacher whose class it is will be using the coursebook. Fair enough, I said. Besides, this person continued, the school makes money from selling on the coursebooks.
    • Jeffrey Dillon
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        ......so find whats useful in the coursebook, examine the grammar or functions, and continue dogme until the other teacher returns.  the students should be at or above level if you just teach them what they want to learn.

        Jeff

      • J
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2011
          Thanks and of course that's the best way to proceed.

          However I think it's interesting that the content is decided not by pedagogical concerns nor learner needs but rather by a financial argument that is unassailable. The consequence is that no-one within the classroom has had any input into content selection and more, will have to stump up 50 quid a shot.

          --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Dillon <jeffreytaos@...> wrote:

          > ......so find whats useful in the coursebook, examine the grammar or functions, and continue dogme until the other teacher returns.  the students should be at or above level if you just teach them what they want to learn.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeffrey Dillon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011
            >The thing is, if they paid 50 quid, or clams, they have an investment that cannot be ignored.  So we should try to see what this book has inside that can be worth even a fraction of the cost.  There is a psychological factor, so to not use the book devalues it and calls into question the people who selected the book or created the class.  In this case, I would see how it is possible to use it.  Remember, some learners love books.  They are symbols telling the world what they are doing.  And of course, considering different learner intelligences, there are a few that like this orderly progression of language.  I would use it as a guide, and go from there.  The real key is what the learners are able to do now, and what they will be able to do with the teaching, whether it originates from the book or not.  Dogme teaching doesn't have to imply books are bad, just that there are other ways.  Is there any grammar guides or references, any inspiring
            readings, etc.?

            >Good luck.
            >

            >Jeffrey

          • J Anderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2011
              The point is not on how I might continue, though thanks for the advice, but rather on how decisions about classes are made outside of the classroom based on nothing more than financial reasons.

              I havent suggested that books are bad and in fact I think this one is better than most.

              Your comment about some learners loving books made me laugh quite a lot.

              Cheers