Re: Dogme INSET

  • ozog.chris
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 21, 2011
      Hi Oli,

      I'm breaking my own rules to post on here: it could lead to a lot of posting...

      Anyway, at IH Costa Rica I did a couple of workshops on Dogme a few months ago. The idea was to introduce Unplugged teaching in an unplugged manner, a real loop input if you like. You can read about them on my blog (this feels like a shameless plug, though it's really just to save me typing it all out again...)
      The first one's here: http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/teacher-training-unplugged/

      The second one was to be more of a demo of a dogme class, which is tricky with a room full of teachers, but actually worked out quite well. I wanted people to think about working with text and what language could be extracted. That post is here: http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/teacher-training-unplugged-part-2/

      Anyway, hope they help and do let us know what you end up doing and how you get on. I'm always interested to read about development workshops and how people approach them.

      Chris

      --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott.thornbury@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth, Oli, the way I usually do an 'intro to dogme' session is to do a sequence of three or four activities (and it IS a sequence, in these sense that one leads to another) that involve a LOT of talk, interaction, (teacher - student, stduent - teacher, and stduent - stduent) and different skills.
      >
      > Then we reflect on what characterises this sequence, during which - lo and behold! - someone makes the point that mo materials were invovled, whereupon I do a five to ten minute 'theoretical' background, and then open it up to Q + A.
      > Hope that helps,
      > Good luck
      > Scott
      >

      > --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, Oli Beddall <olibeddall@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the suggestion(s) Rob! I'll leave my copy of Headway where it is!
      > >
      > > I think keeping it within the bounds of what I know is a smart idea. So where I'm at right now is whether to go down the route of a demonstration (I believe this is how Scott has presented Dogme to groups before) or stick to an overview and examination of techniques or resources.
      > >
      > > What would you be more swayed by?
      > >
      > > From my own experience, I was fairly unconvinced of the idea of Dogme before actually having to research it and try it out for real on a training course. This suggests that an experiential approach might be most effective. But would you run the risk of not giving a broad enough overview of the possibilities?
      > >
      > > Very woolly, I know! I'm still running ideas around in my head.
      > >
      > > Has anyone out there given such a presentation before?
      > >
      > > Many thanks
      > >
      > > Oli
      > >
      > > PS/ INSET = in service training
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone

    • ozog.chris
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
        The bizarre thing is that I posted that about a fortnight ago. I did wonder what had happened to it. Well, in true Dogme style, it just creeps up on you and you've got to go with the flow and make the most of it there and then.

      • mcjsa@123mail.org
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hi Chris,

          I wanted to thank you for posting the link to your blog here. I
          had not understood how blogs provide such an important channel of
          communications. In terms of our discussions here, a lot of depth
          can be added through blogs and the networks they create.

          We talked about blogs vs boards here recently. I didn't
          understand this conversation very much at the time. Those who
          have blogs know how valuable they can be both in defining what
          each of us is doing and in opening a door for participation with
          others. A blog represents a different kind of presence than does
          reading or writing on a list.

          I haven't kept a blog before but will start one now. I don't know
          how successful I'll be with that, but I hope it will help me
          participate more fully with this group and others. I believe
          blogs can add a lot of value to what each of us is doing, in
          their own way.

          Mark

          --- In [1]dogme@yahoogroups.com, "ozog.chris" <ozog.chris@...>

          [2]http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/teacher-training

          [3]http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/teacher-training
          -unplugged-part-2/

          > Anyway, hope they help and do let us know what you end up doing
          and how you get on. I'm always interested to read about
          development workshops and how people approach them.

          > Chris
          >
          > --- In [4]dogme@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott.thornbury@>
          wrote:

          > > For what it's worth, Oli, the way I usually do an 'intro to
          dogme' session is to do a sequence of three or four activities
          (and it IS a sequence, in these sense that one leads to another)
          that involve a LOT of talk, interaction, (teacher - student,
          stduent - teacher, and stduent - stduent) and different skills.

          > > Then we reflect on what characterises this sequence, during
          which - lo and behold! - someone makes the point that mo
          materials were invovled, whereupon I do a five to ten minute
          'theoretical' background, and then open it up to Q + A.
          > > Hope that helps,
          > > Good luck
          > > Scott
          > >

          > > --- In [5]dogme@yahoogroups.com, Oli Beddall <olibeddall@>
          wrote:

          > > > Thanks for the suggestion(s) Rob! I'll leave my copy of
          Headway where it is!

          > > > I think keeping it within the bounds of what I know is a
          smart idea. So where I'm at right now is whether to go down the
          route of a demonstration (I believe this is how Scott has
          presented Dogme to groups before) or stick to an overview and
          examination of techniques or resources.

          > > > What would you be more swayed by?
          > > >
          > > > From my own experience, I was fairly unconvinced of the
          idea of Dogme before actually having to research it and try it
          out for real on a training course. This suggests that an
          experiential approach might be most effective. But would you run
          the risk of not giving a broad enough overview of the
          possibilities?

          > > > Very woolly, I know! I'm still running ideas around in my
          head.

          > > > Has anyone out there given such a presentation before?
          > > >
          > > > Many thanks
          > > >
          > > > Oli
          > > >
          > > > PS/ INSET = in service training
          > > >
          > > > Sent from my iPhone

          References

          1. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
          2. http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/teacher-training-unplugged/
          3. http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/teacher-training-unplugged-part-2/
          4. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
          5. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
          6. mailto:ozog.chris@...?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
          7. mailto:dogme@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
          13. http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15ohhj5pd/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705043336:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1320249969/L=d0a41eb0-055b-11e1-af4d-8bcfc919260d/B=9DxhHNBDRuQ-/J=1320242769859799/K=aKEGzTUljVH.02OzN46eEQ/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj
          15. mailto:dogme-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
          16. mailto:dogme-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
          18. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          --
          Mark Johnstone

          Alfaisal University Preparatory Program
          Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
          upp.edu.sa

        • ozog.chris
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
            Hi Mark,

            No problem at all and glad it was useful for you. There's lots of blogs out there, many far more in-depth and extended than my own, with lots of different ideas, perspectives and reflection. They provide a good space for an exchange of ideas and, in many ways, suit a lot of people more than a mailing list or a forum as you can dip into them more, rather than becoming completely involved like a list.

            Anyway, good luck with your nascent blog and let us know how it goes.

            Chris

            --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, mcjsa@... wrote:

> [...]
            > the risk of not giving a broad enough overview of the
            > possibilities?

            > head.

            > References
            >
            > 1. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
            > 2. http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/teacher-training-unplugged/
            > 3. http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/teacher-training-unplugged-part-2/
            > 4. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
            > 5. mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com
            > 6. mailto:ozog.chris@...?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
            > 7. mailto:dogme@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
            > 13. http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15ohhj5pd/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705043336:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1320249969/L=d0a41eb0-055b-11e1-af4d-8bcfc919260d/B=9DxhHNBDRuQ-/J=1320242769859799/K=aKEGzTUljVH.02OzN46eEQ/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj

          • Oli Beddall
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
              Thanks for your links Chris. I'd just like to echo what Mark says. There's such a great variety of stuff out there and it's been such a pleasure perusing the blogs of the various people who adorn this list. People are so generous with their time too, and really make the effort to engage with each other. It closes the gap!

              When I started my blog a few months ago I really wasn't sure where it would lead, and I certainly didn't feel particularly 'qualified' to write one in the first place, but the interactive process of writing, receiving comments, reciprocating with other people's blogs etc has really raised my game.

              It's a shame that training courses don't tend to make more of blogs as a resource. One is encouraged to read widely after finishing the course, but literature is frequently too dense for more newly qualiied teachers. Anthony wrote recently about trainee diaries on celta courses. Perhaps doing it in real blog form would have the added benefit of encouraging trainees to begin to engage with quality Internet resources from the start.

              Oli

              Olibeddall.wordpress.com

              Sent from my iPhone
            • mcjsa@123mail.org
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                Hi Oli,

                You said that "the literature is frequently too dense for more
                newly qualified teachers." I'm not sure what you mean by "the
                literature" but I'd like to say that there is probably just as
                much quality information, if not more, in teacher blogs as there
                is in the literature, and that teachers, newly qualified and
                otherwise, can learn a great deal by reading one another's blogs,
                by commenting on them, and by linking and cross linking to them.

                Blog participation offers some possibilities that lists cannot
                accommodate. One of these is an the ability of blog participation
                focus on what is important to each of us. No matter how narrowly
                defined a list is, it must still be broadly focused or it will
                not attract enough traffic to survive. Lists also naturally
                favor active people over "lurkers" and so more passive learners
                are left reading mostly about what instrests others.

                For example, some months ago someone here posted about complexity
                theory. He has a special interest in this and has a lot about it
                on his blog. I was interested in this too and posted about it
                here but no one was very interested in this. I could have pursued
                this by commenting on his blog, linking his to mine and writing
                on mine. I could have and made myself a node on the complexity
                theory network. This did not occur to me at the time because I
                did not understand how Blogs could support this type of learning.
                I saw Blogs as "public diaries" mostly out there to promote
                someone's book, professional work. I did not like to comment on
                Blogs because I saw them as someone else's property.

                Blogs can also be a way to produce public reading of the dense
                literature you refer to, making what is useful in it more
                accessible and helping to identify what is not worth bothering
                with.

                One way that training courses can start to make better use of
                blog resources is by asking students to create blogs (call them
                ePortfolios if you want) ostensibly to document their own work
                through a complex series of courses. If students are also
                required to read and comment on each other's blogs, some, if not
                most, would also begin to see how their learning is becoming
                focused on the connections they make and on the dialogues they
                are creating. Rather than talk about social learning as theory,
                they would begin to pratice it, and learn about it by practicing
                it. Perhaps this would be a Dogme approach.

                Mark

                1. mailto:olibeddall@...?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
                2. mailto:dogme@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Dogme%20INSET
                8. http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15omt3j7h/M=493064.14543979.14562481.13298430/D=groups/S=1705043336:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1320369224/L=7a1451fc-0671-11e1-bcc2-e7794cef0e22/B=KituHdj8fbs-/J=1320362024800682/K=gWNaiBFGT7XTdv0daeHg9w/A=6060255/R=0/SIG=1194m4keh/*http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=grpj
                10. mailto:dogme-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
                11. mailto:dogme-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
                13. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                --
                Mark Johnstone

                Alfaisal University Preparatory Program
                Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
                upp.edu.sa

              • Bruno Leys
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Would it be an idea to have a kind of Dogme portal site that links to
                  the various Dogme-related blogs?
                  I think it could help people see the wood for the trees as there is so
                  much "out there".
                  There is already an interesting and quite extensive list on Karenne's
                  http://kalinago.blogspot.com/search/label/dogme

                  We can find some on
                  http://eltreflection.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/teacher-training-unplugged/

                  in the blogroll on
                  http://teachertrainingunplugged.wordpress.com/

                  in the resources on
                  http://lukemeddings.posterous.com/

                  And I know this list is far from complete (my apologies to all those I
                  have neglected to mention in my haste), but that's exactly why I think
                  a portal site linking to all those different people "out there"
                  reflecting on their Dogme experiences could be useful.

                  It's just an idea...

                  Bruno

                  --
                  Bruno Leys
                  English and TEFL

                • Anthony Gaughan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2011
                    Hi,

                    Just to remind you all that there is a link to the Unplugged Public
                    Library over at
                    http://teachertrainingunplugged.wordpress.com/unplugged-public-library/

                    I (or anyone else, for that matter) could add a new tab for
                    Dogme-related blog URLS. Then, whenever we find something more than a
                    single post, we could add the link there. One-off posts on the
                    unplugged theme (like Jeremy Harmer's occasional treatments) can go
                    straight in the Dogme ELT tab already there.

                    I know I haven't added much recently, but there are about a hundred
                    references up already and you can make this grow exponentially by adding
                    even one or two of your own - what say you? Up for some cataloguing?

                    You can embed the GoogleDoc in your blog to increase awareness and
                    accessibility too - spread the Dogme love. As a bonus, I've also
                    included some random references to other linguistics related areas that
                    I collected during my MA - feel free to add to these too, if you like.

                    PS: public acknowledgement & grateful thanks to Scott Thornbury for
                    donating his private references archive as a founding gift to the
                    library :-)

                    Cheers,

                    Anthony