Re: [dogme] "Chat Room" activity

  • Luke Meddings
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
      Your activity does sound like Open Space Rob - a very nice account. It
      makes a lot of sense to have many whiteboards rather than one - opens
      the space up to shared use.

      I love the sense of an emergent syllabus we get from their conversation choices!

      And I trust for the sake of public morals that the priest gets his
      words in before the coito ; )

      Luke

      > Below is a list of the topics each group wrote up and the *questions
      > they had.
      >
      > Group 1: How to start a conversation, Juana’s tongue, Carmen’s
      > friend, life in our apartment, African children, camping, Have you
      > ever been camping?, music.
      >
      > Group 2: Music, dance, Mexico, flags, national birds, What do you want
      > your future to be?, getting married, love (changing going on),
      > relationships, boys and girls, What would you eat on your honeymoon?
      > Where would you like to travel to? Something crazy you would like to
      > do?, food, (two girls form a new group) pregnancy in men, nothing.
      >
      > Group 3: What is (there’s a drawing on the board) called? Whatd does
      > USA flag mean? Oregon trips and movies, USA, countries you wanna
      > visit, girls, movies, stupid people, sex (all boys in the group except
      > two, then a few girls ‘sneak’ over to listen in), *Rob, how do I say,
      > ‘coito’?, experiences.
      >
      > Group 4: Journals, crazy dreams, Where would you like to get married?,
      > jokers (sic) people in the SEED program, *What are the words that the
      > priest asks before to get married?, Reading and writing, fireworks and
      > Christmas, love songs.
      >
      > As always, feedback, comments, criticism, questions, and so on are
      > welcome!
      >
      > Rob
    • Robert Haines
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
        Agreed, Dennis, and all the better if the learners bring the material
        in, I find. Looking forward to your example.

        As for language questions:

        >> *Rob, how do I say ‘coito’? The student asked me face-to-face (with
        >> a very nice hand gesture, ie he clasped the fingers of both hands
        >> together), so I just gave a translation (sexual intercourse, coitus).

        >> *What are the words that the priest asks before to get married? I
        >> asked if anyone knew, and a girl said something like, "Will you
        >> stay with him and not run away forever." In essence, yes. I said it
        >> depends on the wishes of the married couple and the ceremonial
        >> traditions. I gave a few examples from weddings I've witnessed or
        >> participated in.

        There are many directions one could go after a round of "Open Space
        Chat Room". What if, for example, students 'went backwards',
        revisiting their conversations by trying to remember where they had
        last been seated and what had been said? There could be a little
        language work, typically included in TBL cycles, where groups come up
        with words or phrases that they believe were used by the other groups
        during their discussions. Each group would base it's guesses on the
        conversations topics they see listed on the other group's boards, eg
        "Okay, they wrote Love, so maybe they said things like Are you in
        love?, baby, boy-/girlfriend, date, etc. "

        Just one of many directions to be taken. In our class, we chatted
        about each group's conversation topics, the conversations, who had
        moved to another group and why, then we took a break.

        Rob

      • Bruno Leys
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2011
          Thanks for sharing the interesting account, Rob!
          I'm happy that we've been back on the "sharing and caring" track here
          for a while now.
          It's these interesting accounts straight from the classroom that
          really make this Dogme group worthwhile! It's holiday now, where I am,
          though, so don't expect many interesting stories from me at this
          stage, but maybe a question.

          Are people familiar with the EAQUALS Core Curriculum and its system of
          scenarios? In itself I find this (attached to this mail) an impressive
          document, but it also got met thinking - does it fit with Dogme or
          does it all too explicitly state which knowledge is needed for a
          specific language function.

          I personally feel that the scenarion implementation part is one step
          too far in our Dogme world, but the listing of knowledge that supports
          competences seems an interesting tool to me. What about you?

          Best regards
          Bruno

          Bruno Leys
          English and TEFL
          KHBO - teacher training department
          Bruges, Belgium

          mobile phone: 0032 (0)477/856706

        • Marianne Dorléac
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
            Hello Bruno,
            I didn't get the attachment to your mail
            Marianne

            ________________________________
            De : Bruno Leys <bruno.leys@...>
            À : dogme@yahoogroups.com
            Envoyé le : Sam 2 juillet 2011, 5h 48min 13s
            Objet : [dogme] "Chat Room" activity & EAQUALS

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
              Marianne, I think this is the link -
              http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/transform/books/british-council-eaquals-core-inventory-general-english

              Thanks Bruno - need to have a good look at this!

              Luke

              2011/7/2 Marianne Dorléac <marianne_dorleac@...>

              > **
              >

              > Hello Bruno,
              > I didn't get the attachment to your mail
              > Marianne
              >
              > ________________________________
              > De : Bruno Leys <bruno.leys@...>
              > À : dogme@yahoogroups.com
              > Envoyé le : Sam 2 juillet 2011, 5h 48min 13s
              > Objet : [dogme] "Chat Room" activity & EAQUALS
              >

              > Thanks for sharing the interesting account, Rob!
              > I'm happy that we've been back on the "sharing and caring" track here
              > for a while now.
              > It's these interesting accounts straight from the classroom that
              > really make this Dogme group worthwhile! It's holiday now, where I am,
              > though, so don't expect many interesting stories from me at this
              > stage, but maybe a question.
              >
              > Are people familiar with the EAQUALS Core Curriculum and its system of
              > scenarios? In itself I find this (attached to this mail) an impressive
              > document, but it also got met thinking - does it fit with Dogme or
              > does it all too explicitly state which knowledge is needed for a
              > specific language function.
              >
              > I personally feel that the scenarion implementation part is one step
              > too far in our Dogme world, but the listing of knowledge that supports
              > competences seems an interesting tool to me. What about you?
              >
              > Best regards
              > Bruno

            • Marianne Dorléac
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2011
                Merci Luke ! thank you very much. We do work along those lines here too.
                ( http://www.educreuse23.ac-limoges.fr/elve/ref/cecrl.htm )

                ________________________________
                De : Luke Meddings <lukemeddings@...>
                À : dogme@yahoogroups.com
                Envoyé le : Sam 2 juillet 2011, 18h 12min 49s
                Objet : Re: Re : [dogme] "Chat Room" activity & EAQUALS

                Marianne, I think this is the link -
                http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/transform/books/british-council-eaquals-core-inventory-general-english

                Thanks Bruno - need to have a good look at this!

                Luke

                2011/7/2 Marianne Dorléac <marianne_dorleac@...>

                > **
                >

                > Hello Bruno,
                > I didn't get the attachment to your mail
                > Marianne
                >
                > ________________________________
                > De : Bruno Leys <bruno.leys@...>
                > À : dogme@yahoogroups.com
                > Envoyé le : Sam 2 juillet 2011, 5h 48min 13s
                > Objet : [dogme] "Chat Room" activity & EAQUALS
                >

                > Thanks for sharing the interesting account, Rob!
                > I'm happy that we've been back on the "sharing and caring" track here
                > for a while now.
                > It's these interesting accounts straight from the classroom that
                > really make this Dogme group worthwhile! It's holiday now, where I am,
                > though, so don't expect many interesting stories from me at this
                > stage, but maybe a question.
                >
                > Are people familiar with the EAQUALS Core Curriculum and its system of
                > scenarios? In itself I find this (attached to this mail) an impressive
                > document, but it also got met thinking - does it fit with Dogme or
                > does it all too explicitly state which knowledge is needed for a
                > specific language function.
                >
                > I personally feel that the scenarion implementation part is one step
                > too far in our Dogme world, but the listing of knowledge that supports
                > competences seems an interesting tool to me. What about you?
                >
                > Best regards
                > Bruno

              • Mercedes Viola
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2011
                  Thanks for the info about the EAQUALS Core Curriculum.

                  I wasn’t familiar with it. I’ll take a look at it and then share ideas.

                  Arq. Mercedes Viola Deambrosis

                  Directora

                  4D Content English

                  Circunvalación Durango 1429 of. 501

                  Montevideo - Uruguay

                  Tel: (598 2) 9161496

                  <http://www.4d.edu.uy> www.4d.edu.uy

                  <http://uy.linkedin.com/in/mercedesviola> http://uy.linkedin.com/in/mercedesviola

                  P Please consider the planet before printing this email.
                  Antes de imprimir, piensa en el medio ambiente.

                  De : Luke Meddings <lukemeddings@... <mailto:lukemeddings%40gmail.com> >
                  À : dogme@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dogme%40yahoogroups.com>