Re: Blog on unplugging teacher training

  • ElizabethA
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
      Not to mentions the "lies, damned lies and statistics" :-)

      --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, Robert Haines <hainesrm@...> wrote:

      > I agree with you, Daniel, that "personal experience, feedback from
      > students' and colleagues and the like are all a form of research"
      (...) I find that, in a
      > culture like the United States, obsessed with facts and figures,
      > qualitative research still doesn't seem to carry the weight of the
      > quantitative sort.
    • literacyacrosscultures
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
        One confusion in the post-modern world is that: experimental methods=empirical. Not quite true. Controlled experimental methods are but one type of empirical approach.

        I think this would be a good question to hear from the lot of you on--that is, what 'research traditions' does Dogme draw on? What traditions should it draw on?

        I'm going to argue for not the 'lone romantic scholar' tradition but rather 'phenomenological'. I think we can re-claim some rationalism and empiricism from the naive positivists and their SPSS programs.

        Also I would argue that one of the most basic and most generalizable forms of 'classroom research ' is simply the lesson plan and the 'template' activity that is designed to help many other teachers to use, with adaptation to their own situations, a given task.

        Charles Jannuzi
        http://www.eltinjapan.com