Re: [dogme] Re: 10th anniversary - and close down!

  • Vance Stevens
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 1, 2010
      I am a list owner myself of a successful Webheads list, successful in that
      the list I started has taken on a life of its own as this one has.

      As owner of this list it would be in my power to shut it down but I have to
      ask myself why? Why would I do that? If I tired of it I would simply walk
      away. There are hundreds of people interacting, and why stop them? They've
      found a space, why not let them carry on?

      So I don't understand Scott's reasoning exactly. Why not just leave the
      list in place? Why force a move?

      From: fiotf <fiolima@...>
      Subject: [dogme] Re: 10th anniversary - and close down!
      To: dogme@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, 28 February, 2010, 22:05

      Cheesecake apart, I'm having an idea. You can probably hear the cogs
      from wherever you are.

      I can understand Scott's decision/wish perfectly. Like it or not, the dogme
      group is as closely associated with his name, as is the whole approach. For
      better and for worse. If he feels it is time to move on, I, for one, second

      However, reading Sara, Karenne and others, I'm wondering if this is also the
      time to bring dogme 2.0 into official being? I'm willing to set up a
      separate group and moderate it ie kill spam, post interesting (?) links etc.
      and slightly off-the-wall comments, and call it the dogme 2.0 group (or
      similar) - maybe Dennis could co-moderate from his lodge or villa in Second
      Life ;-) and perhaps it could be the place to migrate to, if you wish. And
      keep the original dogme group as an archive, in line with Scott's wishes.

      So... well, if you think it's worth it, let me know off-list, please. If I
      get around 25 messages (or more, obviously), I'll do it. If Scott agrees.
      You have until next Friday 5th March 9pm GMT to let me know (email with
      dogme 2.0 on the subject line, please). Ready, get set..... GO!

      Cheesecake for the first twenty-five email senders....

      --- In dogme@yahoogroups. com, pannazosia@. .. wrote:

      > mixed feelings- or, perhaps, no feelings as yet, but shock - definitely.

      > amazing, that - for quite a few years I didn't really contributeall that

      > much, but now with Scott;s announcement came the sense of loss. so perhaps

      > what I feel is not different from grief when someone well known has
      > passed

      > away. bizarre? I don't know... dogme has become part of my life, even when

      > some threads infuriated me or left me cold - others profited and it was
      > like

      > a real community .

      > Scott, I guess you are the owner of the list so you can euthanize it, but

      > are you sure that killing a community that's alive and kicking is humane?

      > whattever happens... oh, one more thing: Karenne speculated (or have you

      > some ironclad facts?) that some older members could have left as their
      > needs

      > were unmet - sounds rather unlikely - I remember several postings when

      > people felt that the list strayed off-track . Guess that perhaps sometimes

      > there is less need to be active on the list, that's all.

      > Jane, I do hope that your words come true and I fear a little losing
      > touch

      > with you guys. I have become so attached to the mere fact of dogme list

      > "being there" - even if the threads were un-dogme!

      > BTW I love lemon cheesecake,Fiona. must visit Spain...

      > Bye all

      > Zosia

      > dogme@yahoogroups. com napisa³(a):

      > Sob. Hope the cyber "ink" doesn't run with my tears. Just found out

      > about the close down, appropriately from one of the dogme old-timers

      > having lunch at my place (even though the news was bad, your lemon

      > cheesecake was great, Fiona). Have now reading Scott's message. I'm

      > sure he knows what is best and this may even push dogme into new areas.

      > Our dogme writing and lurking urges now need to find new outlets.

      > But it has been good and will certainly be something we can fondly look

      > back on.

      > Thanks to Scott and to everyone who has made the site so interesting.

      > Jane Arnold

      > Seville, Spain

      Groups Links
    • Marianne Dorléac
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 19, 2010
        My hat off to you Karenne. I could not change a word there.You express clearly an elegantly what had been on my mind for quite a time now.
        I don't write often on your blog but it does not mean I don't appreciate it.