Re: [dogme] Proposed New UK Student Visa Regulations

  • Halima Brewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      I have signed it and sent a copy to my friends to sign AND written to my
      MP ( a Lib Dem) who wrote a lengthy letter back and has said he is
      already concerned and protesting to Gordon Browne.
      I did all this last week before your post to dogme, but this is a good
      idea, to ask a newsgroup to sign.
      Please, those who normally do not sign petitions or are way of them -
      sign this one and maybe please if you are British, write to your MP.
      thanks
      Halima

      John wrote:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > I was wondering if the Dogme group could help with something. The government is planning to amend visa regulations for long-stay, non-Europeans coming to the UK on student visas. It's been designed to tackle students abusing the student visa regulations who really come here to work and not study. However, in effect, it could obliterate the UK EFL industry and the universities that open their doors to foreign students. Instead of targeting the sham schools it will drastically harm the hundreds, if not thousands, of reputable schools and honest students that follow the rules.
      >
      > There are many sensible amendments that have been proposed but there are a number of worrying changes that have the potential to devastate the UK EFL industry. The following are the most draconian, short-sighted of the planned changes:
      >
      > 1. Barring students who are elementary or pre-intermediate (CEF level A2)
      > 2. Introduce stricter controls on students coming from countries that have a 'history' of illegal immigration. (China)
      > 3. Barring long-term students from part-time jobs.
      >
      > A petition has been created on the Number 10 website and I was wondering if you would sign it.It's very simple and won't take more than 2 or 3 minutes of your time. The address is:
      >
      > http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PBSReview/
      >
      > If you could mention this to anyone else who might be interested in saving my job, the jobs of thousands of people around the UK and the aspirations of thousands of honest foreigners who come to the UK because of its educational excellence, I would be very grateful.
      >
      > The government would definitely appreciate a little more Dogme.
      >
      > Kind regards
      >
      > John
      >
      > P.S Karenne, I loved the reminder-to-self lesson that you posted a few weeks ago. We had a lot of fun with it. It did, however, make me realise that I must get out more.

    • Karenne Sylvester
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
        Thanks John, your appreciation appreciated ;-)

        Karenne