Re: Dogme 2.0

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 1, 2009
      Just chiming in on the Dogme 2.0 debate as regards conversation based on texts. My students have to take final national exams that are heavily text-comprehension based, so of course I use traditional press texts in the classroom, although I am working on applying dogme principles to lighten up the sheer number and length of the paper texts I use...but that's another story.

      Just an observation: in my experience, I have found students much more focused on any type of conversation activity involving text when that text is on paper and used in a traditional classroom. Somehow staring at a text on a computer screen does not seem to "drive" conversation at all, perhaps because the students are imagining all the things they would rather be doing on the computer? And, as Rob points out, what's the difference anyway between that and a text on paper?

      A lot of my colleagues have sung the praises of having students find their own texts in the computer lab and I have tried this as well, but find that the choosing process is extremely time-consuming, "drives" much too much native language conversation, and ends up being more about Internet search skills than English anyway.

      I just did a much more productive, and dogme-inspired, class activity where students brought in "snippets" of text from whatever source they wanted and we then exploited some of them in various ways (I think this may be an activity from "Teaching Unplugged.")

      I swear the students who neglected to bring in "their" snippet of text were sorry they didn't, and it's not because of any admonition on my part...they felt left out of the wave of involvement that ensued. It seems my students felt empowered by that activity in a way they would not have had they spent 20 minutes of class time scanning the Internet to find "a text that they are interested in."

      Betty C.

      --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, "romiha1" <hainesrm@...> wrote:

      > In case anyone is hesitating to respond to the question I've posed to the group regarding Howard Vicker's Web page (Dennis posted the URL to it), because my query seems like an invitation to another Dogme vs. Technology debate, please know I mean to ask whether you regard hardware and software as 'materials'.
      >
      > What's the difference, for example, between being asked to open a coursebook to page 1, and being prompted to open a Notebook to a particular Web page?
      >
      > From Howard's Web site:
      > "Materials light: the lesson's content is created by the students
      > themselves; the wealth of materials available online, merely serve to
      > stimulate creation of content by the students."
      >
      > Again, I ask:
      > Can we call Dogme 2.0 'materials light' given all the hardware and software
      > necessary for the lessons?
      >
      > Rob

    • Justin Ehresman
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 8, 2009
        Hi K,

        If you are looking for teachers, why don't you post on ELTABB.

        Also, sorry if I led you on to thinking that I wanted to work with you. That was not my intention. We have more than enough work as it is. ;-)

        Good luck,

        Justin Ehresman
        Malplaquetstr. 38
        13347 Berlin Germany