Re: Audio script of Scott Thornbury Interview in Second Life

  • carolgoodey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 1:08 AM
      Many thanks for making this audio available, Nik. I thoroughly enjoyed
      listening to it and am glad to have been able to do so outside of Second
      Life, since I haven't yet been brave enough to venture into that world.
      I am intrigued by SL and would definitely like to have a go sometime,
      when I have lots of time (and energy) to figure it out! In the
      meantime, and perhaps even to encourage me to take the plunge, I would
      be interested to hear how my experience of listening to the conversation
      would have been enhanced by being present in avatar form. How is it
      different from listening to, and perhaps participating in, a radio
      talk/phone-in programme, albeit broadcast on the internet? Am I missing
      out? Or should I simply see SL as an alternative way of achieving the
      same thing and to be considered if I fancy trying something new?
      Thanks, Carol

      --- In dogme@yahoogroups.com, Nik Peachey <nik.peachey@...> wrote:

      > Here's the link to info about the audio and next weeks chat with
      Jeremy Harmer

      http://quickshout.blogspot.com/2009/04/scott-thornbury-in-second-life-ch\
      at.html

      > Best
      >

      > Nik Peachey | Learning Technology Consultant, Writer, Trainer
      > Teacher Development: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/
      > News and Tips: http://quickshout.blogspot.com/
      > Student Activities: http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/
      > On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NikPeachey

    • Robert Haines
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 8:25 AM
        Hi Carol,

        You wrote:

        "In the meantime, and perhaps even to encourage me to take the plunge,
        I would
        be interested to hear how my experience of listening to the conversation
        would have been enhanced by being present in avatar form. How is it
        different from listening to, and perhaps participating in, a radio
        talk/phone-in programme, albeit broadcast on the internet? Am I missing
        out? Or should I simply see SL as an alternative way of achieving the
        same thing and to be considered if I fancy trying something new?"

        As with language learning, intrinsic motivation is key to how much you
        enjoy SL, I'd say. As for the difference between being present as an
        avatar vs. listening to the conversation, the best way to know is to
        give it a go. I can tell you I created an avatar a while back and then
        never returned to SL until the interview with Scott. Dennis showed me
        a few tricks, which was kind of him, but I've also not returned since.
        To me, listening in would be just as good as watching two-dimensional
        figures bump into things and meander. But you might experience it all
        much differently.

      • Carol Goodey
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 3:54 PM
          Many thanks for your reply, Rob. It's interesting to hear this. I did like the idea that the conversation had taken place in Second Life. It added relevance to what was being discussed and it was a good way to get some insight into SL events, from the comfort of my kitchen! I'm not sure my intrinsic motivation is sufficiently high yet to venture in, but the idea that I'm missing out on interesting and useful experiences might change that eventually!

          Carol