Mike is tough....

  • migriff99
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      Mike, I guess this is where you should cue The Flight of the
      Valkyries... :-)

      Dear Rob---

      I certainly did not find anything you wrote as an attack...actually
      they were some helpful questions for me.

      I wrote: I will not allow Korean to be spoken in the classroom.

      How exactly will I that?

      Well...I will tell them from the start that it is not permitted.
      I will remind them that it is an English only zone. I will tell them
      that only English is allowed in class. I will remind and poke and
      joke. I will have them make up class rules, (hopefully including an
      only English rule) and if necessary I will say that Mike's class is
      only English. I will tell them stories of students who increased their
      English incredibly by only speaking English in class, and invite those
      people to class if possible. I will praise them for speaking only
      English. I will try to set up a comfortable atmosphere that promotes
      risk taking and support. I might tell them that class participation is
      40% of their grade and if they speak Korean continually they will not
      pass.I have never had to do anything like this, though.

      I write: "I will try to keep things very simple and I will do my
      best to teach classroom language from the start"

      What do I mean by classroom English?

      I meant things like:
      How do you spell that?
      What does ___ mean?
      Please repeat that... etc.
      (http://esl.about.com/library/beginner/bl_commonphrases.htm )

      I wrote: One of the first lessons is to look at the most common
      words in English and have them explain them to each other in English.

      Rob asked, "What are those most common words? I know the most frequent
      words are usually cited as "the, if, and, a, to..."

      Good point. I should have said the most common words in their classes.
      First we focus on the most common words, then the most common nouns,
      then verbs, then adjectives.

      As I quick aside... CH mentioned in message 12669 about Paul Nation's
      book about vocab. In the files section of this group... There are some
      interesting pieces from Scott about common words. They are called "The
      little words" and "The big words." If you have not read them I
      certainly recommend them.